An idea to prevent Nether lava exploitation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Nether: You can get a ton of lava, people bitch about it.

Mystcraft/Twilight Forest: You can get a ton of ores, no one bitches about it.

Forum logic.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Nether: You can get a ton of lava, people bitch about it.

Mystcraft/Twilight Forest: You can get a ton of ores, no one bitches about it.

Forum logic.
Oh no, you should've heard the bitching about Dense Ores symbol... that was about a month ago, I think, with the common consensus being "If you can get it legit, and legitimately use it while dealing with the instability it brings, more the power to ya". Most people claiming it was 'too OP' were the ones testing it out with a cheated in notebook and/or disabling some/all instability drawbacks.

Reactions: Carrington

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
well then I dont understand you. You made redstone energy cells and conduits that provide energy on demand basically so its more like IC power system. Not that i dont like it, its just that its in contrast to what you just said

Not at all. If anything, the ability to store energy allows for more flexible setups and allows for a bit of bleedoff from the RailCraft boilers. Conduits and cells just improve the distribution so that BC power actually gets used. Otherwise it's quite unwieldy and awkward.

My comments on why MJ is great is that the different generation types actually have different uses - there's no real difference with EU - it gets made at some rate and that's it. No heat curves, no limitations, no efficiency differences, etc.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm, guess I oughta weigh in on this one. :)

Frankly, lava is a bush league power source. Given all of the options available to you in this modpack, you're doing it wrong if you're using lava. I provide Magmatic engines as an analog to the geothermal gen, and I'm willing to admit it's a ridiculous concept. The Magma Crucible specifically is to prevent flow block lag, since I know people are going to want lava power anyways.
Couldn't agree more. From my perspective, though, the problem is really players like the one I described above. They're really not that clever, but they want their quantum armor. So they spam huge numbers of geothermals rather than progressing into higher-output, more-complex systems. Thus causing problems for the other residents of the server. Along those same lines, I cannot tell you how many times I've grimaced as people brag about their "100 advanced solar panels". It's death by a thousand cuts, I tell you.

In my perfect world, lava would be a starter power source, but not viable for large power plants.

So ... have you considered having the liquid transposer destroy cans? Or maybe just lava cans? Or a config option to do the same?

* < -- ducks *

:D

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't agree with the premise of this thread that the pump > liquid transposer > ender chest setup that is so common these days is a problem, then this whole thread is pointless. I do happen to agree with that premise.
I much prefer using a liquid tesseract for that :D So much tidier!

Clarification: the lava goes straight into an igneous extruder set to obsidian. My energy needs are currently met via a refinery and combustion engines.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
Couldn't agree more. From my perspective, though, the problem is really players like the one I described above. They're really not that clever, but they want their quantum armor. So they spam huge numbers of geothermals rather than progressing into higher-output, more-complex systems. Thus causing problems for the other residents of the server. Along those same lines, I cannot tell you how many times I've grimaced as people brag about their "100 advanced solar panels". It's death by a thousand cuts, I tell you.

In my perfect world, lava would be a starter power source, but not viable for large power plants.

So ... have you considered having the liquid transposer destroy cans? Or maybe just lava cans? Or a config option to do the same?

* < -- ducks *

Or it could be that we're not all engineers, nor care to build overly complex systems. I play this game for fun, and collecting lava from another dimension is a great deal of fun.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
To get lava from the nether you only need RC and BC. I build one lava transport system from the Nether (only one because everyone is making them) just to test it and it works flawlessly.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
If there was a method implemented to prevent "lava exploitation", it would need to be on the engines/generators (as initially suggested), since people can just put them in the nether and not bother with transport at all.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
So the liquid transposer was added in order to prevent can loss, and now it's going to lose cans if they had lava in them? Unless they're hardened glass containers?
I'm totally okay with that since my lava goes through a tesseract instead.
*cue nerfing of lava through tesseracts*

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
So the liquid transposer was added in order to prevent can loss, and now it's going to lose cans if they had lava in them? Unless they're hardened glass containers?
I'm totally okay with that since my lava goes through a tesseract instead.
*cue nerfing of lava through tesseracts*

I'm actually waiting on biomass to get nerfed. I'm switching over to that from magmatic engines so I expect production of that to cost more that it's worth here soon.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I'd love to see liquid transposers eat cans and cells, with a container they won't. It would put them in line with the rest of the game.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
There are so many ways of generating energy, that banning lava pumping from nether isn't a problem. You can use biomass/biofuel, normal fuel (the best option for BC power IMO, when combined with energy cells OP, but not a lot of people seam to be interested in it), seed oil (from nuts/cherries), honey, planks/charcoal, peat, coke (using FZ grinder and silk touch tool you can get 56 000 Eu from one coal ore in generator, even more in boiler), bluetricity conversion (every source renewable), lava from bees, milk (not my favorite, provides only about 0,7 MJ/t in renewable setup per engine). This is only a few of the methods without GT, with it there are even more, however some are idiotic, like burning hydrogen from water electrolysis in boiler.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I can't remember whether liquid containers work in a liquid transposer. Because they totally should. Sending around 8000 mB at a time should cut down on the amount of items being transported also. (For those people who haven't reached the stage of affording tesseracts yet)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
How about just making a server rule not to pump lava from the nether and removing players who ignore that rule? You don't need some mod mechanic. And if its not your server, stop worrying about it.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't agree with the premise of this thread that the pump > liquid transposer > ender chest setup that is so common these days is a problem, then this whole thread is pointless. I do happen to agree with that premise.
Its only a problem for people that didnt think of it first. They will call it en exploit becuse they suck, to be quite blunt.

For me a thermal gen->electric engine->pump->phased pipe is a better solution. One lava cell to kickstart it and I have lava for a couple days.[DOUBLEPOST=1359622164][/DOUBLEPOST]
Following that line of thought, there is sort of a method for that available. Only allow yourself IC2 power through Railcraft Steam Turbines, and switch the Nuclear Reactor to the steam setting. You'll need to leave generators enable to be able to build reactors and solars, though. Or you could disable Generators entirely, removing reactors from the options. I wonder if anyone would be interested in a server with that kind of rule set...

lets make it even harder and fully uninstall FTB, and minecraft toss your computer off a cliff and take pen to paper and start emulating all this through mathematical formula in machine language like a real man

Reactions: noah_wolfe