Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DrKnoz

Jul 29, 2019
Running Techworld 2 and TW 2 server , Optifine for 1.6.4. , HD or HD U doesn't make a difference. Lite crashes on startup, must be some problem with the pack.
Works fine, better fps, all good.

Except: Glowstone illuminators cause a nasty graphics glitch. I have tried any combination of Optifine settings, several Skin packs (and vanilla, obviously) . No effect. The liquid inner core of the Lamp glitches through the outer shell and causes a flickering glitch everytime i rotate my view. Nothign game crashing, but a pain on the eyes (Our factory is illuminated by something like 2 dozen of em )

The weird part. Optifine + Glowstone illuminator + Bug gives me something in the order of 20 - 30 google results, none of them even related to this bug, but to other general lag and fps stuff. As it would seem....NOT a common bug ?! Wtf boom.....

Anyone ever heard of this ?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Running Techworld 2 and TW 2 server , Optifine for 1.6.4. , HD or HD U doesn't make a difference. Lite crashes on startup, must be some problem with the pack.
Works fine, better fps, all good.

Except: Glowstone illuminators cause a nasty graphics glitch. I have tried any combination of Optifine settings, several Skin packs (and vanilla, obviously) . No effect. The liquid inner core of the Lamp glitches through the outer shell and causes a flickering glitch everytime i rotate my view. Nothign game crashing, but a pain on the eyes (Our factory is illuminated by something like 2 dozen of em )

The weird part. Optifine + Glowstone illuminator + Bug gives me something in the order of 20 - 30 google results, none of them even related to this bug, but to other general lag and fps stuff. As it would seem....NOT a common bug ?! Wtf boom.....

Anyone ever heard of this ?
It is not a "Glowstone illuminator" bug. It is a common issue with Optifine due to it being fundamentally incompatible with Forge. As far as I understands it Forge decided to correct a point where they were in breach with the MC EULA, Optifine did not bother. So we are probably forever going to have issues with running both.

The way to get the least bugs when running Optifine in 1.6.4 have been using the Standard version in my experience. Ultra causes all kinds of weird issues. But even Standard is not without its issues. If you cannot accept these bugs then disable Optifine completely.

Reactions: DrKnoz

DrKnoz

Jul 29, 2019
It is not a "Glowstone illuminator" bug. It is a common issue with Optifine due to it being fundamentally incompatible with Forge. As far as I understands it Forge decided to correct a point where they were in breach with the MC EULA, Optifine did not bother. So we are probably forever going to have issues with running both.

The way to get the least bugs when running Optifine in 1.6.4 have been using the Standard version in my experience. Ultra causes all kinds of weird issues. But even Standard is not without its issues. If you cannot accept these bugs then disable Optifine completely.

That sucks. And makes perfect sense, because any combination of settings changed everything else and yielded exactly the same bug for the illuminators. That really sucks because running Server and Client on one 2007 machine, though upgraded full bore, means walking a very fine line.

And no Fastcraft for 1.6.4. Darn.

Looks like i will either have to eliminate the illuminators until i get a better PC later this year or live with the glitch.

Thanks for the good information !!!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That sucks. And makes perfect sense, because any combination of settings changed everything else and yielded exactly the same bug for the illuminators. That really sucks because running Server and Client on one 2007 machine, though upgraded full bore, means walking a very fine line.

And no Fastcraft for 1.6.4. Darn.

Looks like i will either have to eliminate the illuminators until i get a better PC later this year or live with the glitch.

Thanks for the good information !!!
Yeah it sucks. Even with this incompatibility there is really no alternative. Even for 1.7 it is still being used by many.
And not only is it a good thing for your performance, it is also the only real way of using much of the content of most texturepacks.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
I saw they were eatable in one of the videos but it has changed i guess.
Automagy adds a soup made out of them (and another mushroom) which grants temporary warp and blindness, but other than that I believe it has no use. I think it was put in for future implementation.

Crazya994

Jul 29, 2019
what's an easy way to "pump" in gelid cyrothume into Bigreactors? say I had a huge tank.. is there an item that can pour it into the reactor? or I'm I going to have to sit there with 1k buckets and start pour buckets in lol. Thanks

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
what's an easy way to "pump" in gelid cyrothume into Bigreactors? say I had a huge tank.. is there an item that can pour it into the reactor? or I'm I going to have to sit there with 1k buckets and start pour buckets in lol. Thanks
Yes, Buildcraft's flood gate

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
While the floodgate is still good advice, if you have the need to fill it a LOT of cryotheum then you probably want to reconsider your reactor design instead. You never really want lots of it, just on exposed fuel rod sides. Else you want to use Liquid Ender for absorbtion jacket and glass/Graphite/other cheap material in blind corners.

Crazya994

Jul 29, 2019
While the floodgate is still good advice, if you have the need to fill it a LOT of cryotheum then you probably want to reconsider your reactor design instead. You never really want lots of it, just on exposed fuel rod sides. Else you want to use Liquid Ender for absorbtion jacket and glass/Graphite/other cheap material in blind corners.

oh so a lot is bad? sorry I'm still learning. I have a 7x7x7 that produces 17k pertick I really wanted more.. for Rft tools. I thought Gel works?
lol, I even tried turbine but that was .. complicated for me to understand apparently. but I thought if I covered at least the fuel rods it will help. 1
Reactor stats: 1060 C
17kirf/t
1.8 Mb/t
Passive.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yes, Buildcraft's flood gate

Funny... They used just this on Soaryn's Stream last night, and since Direwold20 was recording a future episode of Forgecraft2 (either 17 or 19) it'll probably be on youtube this week or next.

If I recall their 7x7x7 (5x5x5 internal) with 5 fuel rods and 4 stacks of graphite between the rods used about 80 bkts. of gelid cryotheum.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
oh so a lot is bad? sorry I'm still learning. I have a 7x7x7 that produces 17k pertick I really wanted more.. for Rft tools. I thought Gel works?
lol, I even tried turbine but that was .. complicated for me to understand apparently. but I thought if I covered at least the fuel rods it will help. 1
17kirf/t
1.8 Mb/t
Passive.
There's a lot of different materials you can put in the reactor, and they do different things. Gelid cryotheum is good at moderating neutrons, meaning that it slows them down so they can more effectively interact with other cores, coolants, etc. Resonant ender, on the other hand, is very good at capturing moderated neutrons. So, ideally, you'd want to have some cryotheum surrounding each of your cores (between them as well as around them), and a layer or two of resonant ender on outermost edge of the reactor. Granted, having two different fluids right next to each other in the same reactor can be a pain to deal with, but it can be done.

Also note that BR treats flowing blocks of liquid the same way as sources, meaning that for most liquids, you can save quite a bit by only using a few source blocks in the top layer of the reactor and exploiting derpy Minecraft liquid mechanics to make them flow into the whole reactor. However, some TE sourceblocks, cryotheum included, like to fall down into flowing blocks below them, making this more difficult.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
17kirf/t
1.8 Mb/t
Passive.
No no Gelid Cryotherum is good! It is the material with the best thermal conductivity(it transfers heat best from the fuel rods). It is just that there are better materials for other places in your reactor for example. For example Cryotheum is pretty bad at absorbing radiation, which is a good thing between the fuel rods as it increases efficiency, but a bad thing towards the casing as radiation that is absorbed is turned into heat which is in turn turned into more power. But it is all pretty much a game of nerding about efficiency. And usually having to bother with both Cryotheum and then Liquid Ender is not worth the space it takes up. You could instead use it for more cores to irradiate each other for increased efficiency. Again: Its a game of nerding for best efficiency and at some point you have to pull the compromise card.

And the reactor you mentions outputs a TON of power for its size, but it is HORRIBLY inefficient(Did you just pack it tight with fuel rods?). You will probably not be able to make it produce more power by adding Cryotheum. It will probably halve the power output, but fuel consumption will be DRASTICALLY reduced!

You should try this out:
http://br.sidoh.org/

For example a simple 7x7x7(5x5x5 internal which the page uses):
http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...olRodInsertion=71&layout=G3CGC3X2C3X2C3XCG3CG
You can run 22 of these on the same fuel as the one you posted(or build one a lot larger for even better efficiency!). That is 182kRF/t :p

But you really should look into turbines. It is not that difficult. You can use the exact same reactor knowledge and setups, just add the liquid ports. This will x10 the power output per fuel used easily.

Last edited:

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
That might depend on which pickaxe you give it. Just guessing.

Well I'll test it in the morning. Basically, I need a ton of sky stone, and I don't want to mine it manually cause it takes so much time. :p I expect it'll work. Might try out a wand of excavation as well