FTB News - March 20th, 2015

iTpyn

Jul 29, 2019
This client is so bad - it should be used only to download modpacks to use in other launchers...
You can't even set max memory to more than 6 Gb using it - and it always overrides additional java parameters you set in minecraft launcher it starts after pressing "play". So if you want more than 6 Gb, you have to set it in minecraft launcher every time you want to play a modpack.

Burn this Curse launcher. Really.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Also another problem- when you create a new profile you have to have a forge install in it. Would it really be that hard to put a blank/NA option at the bottom of the list?
(useful for those who want to play around with non-forge mods, such as MITE, Optifine, certain shader packs ect, or for those who want the extra Curse functions with their vanilla install)

Right now I'd have to agree with bobst3r, it feels very much Curse first, community second- rather than the community first approach that was initially proposed.

That being said, the lack of commercial advertising on the launcher is much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
and this is why I don't jump on the hype train anymore.

It's good that @b0bst3r has gone through and given a detailed analysis on what problems the new launcher has, Hopefully curse can use that feedback to improve the client, Teething problems can greatly affect what people think of the system for many years (or respective time units) to come.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Bad points:

- It's called Curse Voice - #1 confusion

- When you load it up for the first time you have no idea what your looking at (having never seen it before) or wondering where the mod packs are - #2 confusion

- When you eventually get the Minecraft plugin loaded it sits there and asks you to load it again (I had to quit the launcher to get it to work)

- When you quit the launcher it doesn't quit it sits minimised, I didn't ask for it to be minimised I asked for it to quit (config option to make it quit should be on by default)

- When you install a modpack it sits there afterwards with the install still there - #3 confusion

- I had to quit to figure out how to get the mod pack to play and then I had 4 of the same one because of point above

- It installs modpacks by default to .... I don't care where ... it should ask us, people use SSD boot disks now that don't want to be filled up with MC modpacks

- After loading the client it updated and now sits there at "Game Installs" for 2 minutes, why is that I only have 1 pack installed?

- Add/removing mods - #4 confusion (it's completely not obvious)

- The client is splattered all over with voice stuff/comms/friends I don't want any of it all I want is a MC modpack launcher.

- Enable/Hide Toast notifications - #5 confusion - what the hell is this Toast?!?! tooltips wouldn't go amiss

- Memory allocation only goes up to 6GB those of us who use 512x HD resourcepacks are stuffed

Edit- I just learnt that only mods on curse can be used in modpacks, so if I went and got permission to use a mod NOT listed on Curse I can't host my mod pack on the Curse launcher.

You can tell FTB was a community driven project and Curse is a corporate one, FTB was written with people in mind, this is 100% purely corporate and as such is confusing, not at all user friendly and most of the private functions are turned off. I'd love to know what all these "features" are and what exactly this launcher is collecting data wise.

I agree with most everything here, especially the concerns at the end. Definitely not a fan of the UI, colour choices etc. Too busy. Primarily being marketed as a voice client, which I will never use, is definitely a turn-off for me. I want a nice, clean, lightweight modpack client without the corporate-branded, extraneous apps integrated into this. I understand that you guys need some monetary support to do the work you do here, but this move to their harder-to-use client where the main functionality of the existing client seems to be secondary is a worrying direction. I doubt I'll ever use this until I have no choice.
This pretty much my opinion of it. It feels bloated and too much. There is no reason to have a button that says "sort by popularity", nor to track downloads. Just too many "features". I really like the current launcher, and feel that nothing should really change.

Trackn99

Jul 29, 2019
I think it a good launcher but need more modpacks until then it would way better rating in my opinion

okiestatefan5

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question: If the mod packs are going to be switched over to the curse launcher in the near future how are players on mac or lynx supposed to access the packs?

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Bad points:

- When you load it up for the first time you have no idea what your looking at (having never seen it before) or wondering where the mod packs are - #2 confusion

- When you eventually get the Minecraft plugin loaded it sits there and asks you to load it again (I had to quit the launcher to get it to work)

- When you quit the launcher it doesn't quit it sits minimised, I didn't ask for it to be minimised I asked for it to quit (config option to make it quit should be on by default)

- When you install a modpack it sits there afterwards with the install still there - #3 confusion

- I had to quit to figure out how to get the mod pack to play and then I had 4 of the same one because of point above

- It installs modpacks by default to .... I don't care where ... it should ask us, people use SSD boot disks now that don't want to be filled up with MC modpacks

- After loading the client it updated and now sits there at "Game Installs" for 2 minutes, why is that I only have 1 pack installed?

- The client is splattered all over with voice stuff/comms/friends I don't want any of it all I want is a MC modpack launcher.

- Enable/Hide Toast notifications - #5 confusion - what the hell is this Toast?!?! tooltips wouldn't go amiss

- Memory allocation only goes up to 6GB those of us who use 512x HD resourcepacks are stuffed

Edit- I just learnt that only mods on curse can be used in modpacks, so if I went and got permission to use a mod NOT listed on Curse I can't host my mod pack on the Curse launcher.

You can tell FTB was a community driven project and Curse is a corporate one, FTB was written with people in mind, this is 100% purely corporate and as such is confusing, not at all user friendly and most of the private functions are turned off. I'd love to know what all these "features" are and what exactly this launcher is collecting data wise.

While I am not a curse representative I am an employee of FTB and he's my response to your feedback:
We've taken on your feedback from this and from this point on (at ftb at least) we will now be referring to it as "Curse for minecraft". As to the confusing download page I will be fixing this with the new ftb site and I assume Curse will do the same on their minecraft targeted pages to make it clear what you need to download. You have to remember you are using a beta product so all promotions will not yet be in place. We don't want everyone and their mother using this product yet. It's simply not ready. That said we think it's important to get feedback from real people in the community which is why this beta is being ran. Over the next few weeks FTB and Curse will be going over the feedback generated and addressing as much of it as possible.

Several things are being done to address this point. Firstly if you download Curse for Minecraft from the upcoming ftb or minecraft pages on the Curse site then the plugin will be enabled by default. Secondly if you have minecraft or FTB installed on your system then the plugin will be enabled by default so you shouldn't really have to go and enable it at all in future.
There *should* be a popup telling you to reboot the client with a button to do it. I'll look into if that is working correctly.
We've put forward a suggestion about this to give you the option during install but I don't have an answer for this just yet.
There is a notification that pops up but it seems most people are missing it (I know I did). We are looking into ways to fix this. There will also be an indicator on the modpacks install page if you already have a pack installed.
Same as above.
During the initial instillation of the minecraft plugin if you choose advanced install you have the option to choose a default install location but I'll have a look if this needs to be made more obvious. It can also be edited from the settings page.
We're not sure why this happened to you. We've created a ticket for this to be looked into but if you have any more details on exactly what happened that would be helpful.
We kinda don't want it to be massively obvious how to edit downloaded modpacks. It's kind of a "child safe" feature. For people like you guys on this forum it's a slight annoyance but for younger people using the launcher it can save us quite a lot of tech support.
Unfortunately all I can say to this one is ignore it but honestly I've been using the client for a few months now and after being initially sceptical about the addition of the friends feature it's actually quite nice. We are however looking into ways to make that feature less annoying for people that don't want to use it.
A tooltip will be added here :)
We will be removing this limitation and adding a "recommended" range on the slider with a popup if you go outside the recommended range most likely.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Note: This was originally posted here. Reposting since FTB and Curse folks seem to be following this thread.

Meh, it's not ready for prime time, but it seems to do the core function fine. Download pack, press play. Advanced users will want to download the pack and copy the instance to MultiMC, just like now.

I see they've done a fair bit of LCD-ing, which probably makes sense, but is going to annoy some forum regulars. Installing the client in %APPDATA% is not the best idea ever (they claim the option to change that is forthcoming). Launching on Windows start? No thanks (can change in Settings). Windows only? Regrettable ("Coming soon™ for Mac" however), but really, if you insist on using a hipster platform, you should be used to jumping through a couple hoops by now.

The upside? It's super convenient to whip together your own pack, assuming all the mods you want are published on curse. Just create a custom profile, click 'get mods', and search for/click on the mods you want to use. Brilliant! I fully expect that feature to be removed, however, when their support forums start blowing up from people not being able to use whatever mod because dependencies/conflicts and such.

Madhatter82

Jul 29, 2019
With the original client there was a 'Download Server' button that after unzipping and running the install.bat file I was able to upload to my hosted server and allow others to play with me. I've spent awhile looking for the same functionality with this client and I've not been able to find it.

Am I overlooking it? Will it be added later? Or is there another way to get this on a server to play with friends that I just haven't had to try yet?

Thanks in advance.

MinCoon

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think I like it. I can't take out the mods that I don't like... Unless there's something I'm overlooking?
I don't know.

Feed the beast 122

Jul 29, 2019
go to the mod pack you want to mod and click the button that looks like "..." (without the qoutes) and click profile options from there you can click "Pack unlocked" (without quotes again) set that to yes and you can edit the pack to your liking.

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
The [...] Is a traditionally used symbol that originally meant setup wizard, and has since become a standard icon for options or setup. I'm not sure why people haven't learned that. Although the gear is more recognizable and known, it's still not a non-traditional symbol.

Defense aside, I'd like to take this opportunity to pickup a pitchfork, round up the community, and complain they "dey took ur launcher!" Rabble rabble rabble. /badhumor

B

Big Bad

Is the Curse launcher intended to replace the FTB launcher, or is it just an alternative?

Right now, Curse for Minecraft is an alternative to the FTB Launcher until feature parity is achieved. Once that milestone is achieved and we feel comfortable with the solutions offered by Curse, we will begin the process of retiring the FTB Launcher and moving onto Curse for Minecraft.

The_Benjinator_5

Jul 29, 2019
Right now, Curse for Minecraft is an alternative to the FTB Launcher until feature parity is achieved. Once that milestone is achieved and we feel comfortable with the solutions offered by Curse, we will begin the process of retiring the FTB Launcher and moving onto Curse for Minecraft.

Ok thanks.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Note: This was originally posted here. Reposting since FTB and Curse folks seem to be following this thread.

Meh, it's not ready for prime time, but it seems to do the core function fine. Download pack, press play. Advanced users will want to download the pack and copy the instance to MultiMC, just like now.

I see they've done a fair bit of LCD-ing, which probably makes sense, but is going to annoy some forum regulars. Installing the client in %APPDATA% is not the best idea ever (they claim the option to change that is forthcoming). Launching on Windows start? No thanks (can change in Settings). Windows only? Regrettable ("Coming soon™ for Mac" however), but really, if you insist on using a hipster platform, you should be used to jumping through a couple hoops by now.

The upside? It's super convenient to whip together your own pack, assuming all the mods you want are published on curse. Just create a custom profile, click 'get mods', and search for/click on the mods you want to use. Brilliant! I fully expect that feature to be removed, however, when their support forums start blowing up from people not being able to use whatever mod because dependencies/conflicts and such.
Let us be clear here, we are under no illusion that this product is unfinished and doesn't meet our current launchers specs. We do however feel it is in a usable state good enough for us to get feedback and hence the beta

With the original client there was a 'Download Server' button that after unzipping and running the install.bat file I was able to upload to my hosted server and allow others to play with me. I've spent awhile looking for the same functionality with this client and I've not been able to find it.

Am I overlooking it? Will it be added later? Or is there another way to get this on a server to play with friends that I just haven't had to try yet?

Thanks in advance.
Download server button will be implemented soon but for now you can use http://www.feed-the-beast.com/mod-packs to get server versions

I don't think I like it. I can't take out the mods that I don't like... Unless there's something I'm overlooking?
I don't know.
You have to click "edit profile" and unlock the modpack to allow you to disable mods. This is so that people (children specifically) don't accidentally break their modpack.

FInaldeath

Jul 29, 2019
The [...] Is a traditionally used symbol that originally meant setup wizard, and has since become a standard icon for options or setup. I'm not sure why people haven't learned that. Although the gear is more recognizable and known, it's still not a non-traditional symbol.

Defense aside, I'd like to take this opportunity to pickup a pitchfork, round up the community, and complain they "dey took ur launcher!" Rabble rabble rabble. /badhumor

The vast majority of the time that i see "..." it means more detail. I have NEVER seen it used as an options or setup button with the exception of some installers where "..." is next to filepath entries and means to manually select the filepath. Options or setup buttons are usually either a gear or wrench icon.

I have no idea what programs you are using that have "..." as the options/setup button.