VoxelMap?

snake2332

Jul 29, 2019
Just wanna start by saying I'm only posting this here because I see no official forum for VoxelMap anywhere.

So, VoxelMap saves your waypoints based on the IP you connect to? Does anyone else find this to be awful? I connect to my server using 3 different IPs depending on where I physically am: loopback if I'm on the server, local LAN if I'm at home on a different computer, and then my public IP if I'm not at home. I have 3 different sets of waypoints because of this. It seems like a really terrible way to save waypoints. I understand VoxelMap thinks I'm connecting to 3 different servers, but there must be a way that it can tell that it's the same server. It would be nice if there was an option to simply use same waypoints for all servers because this is the only server I connect to with this MultiMC instance, but there is no such option.

As a work-around, I just use my public IP even when I'm on my server. I imagine that this is just as fast as using a local LAN address, as it must hit my router and get routed right back. It's still fast but I want closer to zero latency via loopback.

I can't tell where voxelmap saves the waypoints. That could help me out, if I could just copy them. I'll go hunting for that location. It must be stored client-side somewhere... Would be nice if they were stored on the server so this would be a non-issue.

snake2332

Jul 29, 2019
Well, my point was that it was off by default, as it should be. Frankly, I don't think the feature should exist for non-opped players at all, but that's besides the point.
I, for one, am glad it's enabled by default because I run a private server of trust-worthy individuals and we don't do PvP. For a public server, though, I agree that it should require a permission (not OP, just a permission node) but should remain on be default so the player doesn't have to do anything if they have the correct permission.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
I, for one, am glad it's enabled by default because I run a private server of trust-worthy individuals and we don't do PvP. For a public server, though, I agree that it should require a permission (not OP, just a permission node) but should remain on be default so the player doesn't have to do anything if they have the correct permission.

I completely disagree with you. Most server admins are not going to want a mob radar and cave mapper on by default. You may want it, but you are most definitely in the minority. It's total cheat mode. If you want that, why bother playing a server at all? Having it on for SSP, well that doesn't matter nearly as much.

Reactions: Henry Link

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Just wanna start by saying I'm only posting this here because I see no official forum for VoxelMap anywhere.

So, VoxelMap saves your waypoints based on the IP you connect to? Does anyone else find this to be awful? I connect to my server using 3 different IPs depending on where I physically am: loopback if I'm on the server, local LAN if I'm at home on a different computer, and then my public IP if I'm not at home. I have 3 different sets of waypoints because of this. It seems like a really terrible way to save waypoints. I understand VoxelMap thinks I'm connecting to 3 different servers, but there must be a way that it can tell that it's the same server. It would be nice if there was an option to simply use same waypoints for all servers because this is the only server I connect to with this MultiMC instance, but there is no such option.

As a work-around, I just use my public IP even when I'm on my server. I imagine that this is just as fast as using a local LAN address, as it must hit my router and get routed right back. It's still fast but I want closer to zero latency via loopback.

I can't tell where voxelmap saves the waypoints. That could help me out, if I could just copy them. I'll go hunting for that location. It must be stored client-side somewhere... Would be nice if they were stored on the server so this would be a non-issue.

Not 100% sure but I think Voxelmap uses Rei's waypoints. Rei's waypoints are kept in ...\MindCrack\minecraft\mods\rei_minimap. The files are all based in IP address and dimension. As a server admin I've run into your same issue with Rei's.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I completely disagree with you. Most server admins are not going to want a mob radar and cave mapper on by default. You may want it, but you are most definitely in the minority. It's total cheat mode. If you want that, why bother playing a server at all? Having it on for SSP, well that doesn't matter nearly as much.

100% Agreement. The radar should be disabled by default and the server admin should have the option to turn it on if desired. While I understand why the MindCrack group wanted to switch to Voxel, I still don't agree with that decision.

Reactions: LittleMike

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Not 100% sure but I think Voxelmap uses Rei's waypoints. Rei's waypoints are kept in ...\MindCrack\minecraft\mods\rei_minimap. The files are all based in IP address and dimension. As a server admin I've run into your same issue with Rei's.

I think this is close, but not totally correct. I think it's in the mods\VoxelMap and I think also the mod\VoxelMods or something. I'm not at home to check, but it was similar to what you said. I think it will import Rei's, but stores it in its own folder.[DOUBLEPOST=1366236770][/DOUBLEPOST]
100% Agreement. The radar should be disabled by default and the server admin should have the option to turn it on if desired. While I understand why the MindCrack group wanted to switch to Voxel, I still don't agree with that decision.

Also, as far as the Mindcrackers go - I don't think Guude made that decision. Every single one of the LP'ers I watch all got pissed when the new map went in saying it was cheaty and they hated it and they hoped Guude could find a way to turn off the radar.

snake2332

Jul 29, 2019

Actually, that was you agreeing with me and apparently not understanding how permissions work because it would be off by default for all players, yet it would be the easiest way to enable caves & entities in the small amount of cases that are like mine by simply adding the permission(s). Why wouldn't we want to see other players & caves on my server if we're not doing PvP? The map showing caves is just what it should do when you're spelunking. Seeing entities on the map is actually just kind of annoying, imo. All it shows is question marks anyway because it doesn't recognize mod-added mobs.

Why bother even playing on a server if you can see entities and caves, you ask? Because none of my friends run a server with 118 mods and 33 bukkit plugins, yet they want to play on it, and those features don't lend themselves to cheating in our environment at all.

snake2332

Jul 29, 2019
I think this is close, but not totally correct. I think it's in the mods\VoxelMap and I think also the mod\VoxelMods or something. I'm not at home to check, but it was similar to what you said. I think it will import Rei's, but stores it in its own folder.

I looked there first but the waypoints certainly aren't there, sadly. Oh, idea! Maybe if I add a waypoint then search for all files in the minecraft folder and sort by date modified. That might show me. Me go try now....UPDATE: Blah, no files updated when I added a waypoint. I may go try REI for a bit...it's been awhile ol' girl.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
VoxelMaps can go explode. Lol >_>
Agreed. I tried turning mob radar off, and it just wouldn't go away. It causes me to lag extremely badly (not sure why). The large map is hideous and blurry. The waypoints are basically client-side specific beacons (which, in case you forgot, are in the game). I'm sticking with Reis.

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
There are VoxelMap topics at both the voxelbox forum and on MCF; no idea if either is more "official" though. The waypoints are stored within your vanilla minecraft installation (%APPDATA%\.minecraft\mods\VoxelMods\voxelMap\). The author has discussed both the IP-specific waypoints and waypoint storage location in a recent MCF post.

Reactions: Philo

Jul 29, 2019
I'll just add to the voices here saying that voxelmap feels cheaty, and I also have the "multiple IP for the same server but different waypoints" issue. Overall I do like it though, and would use either voxel or rei, but agree that the mob and player map at least should be off by default.

The multiple IP issue can be solved. Assuming you don't add / remove waypoints all the time you can manually sync. Before you start your client, go to the folder where waypoints are kept (%APPDATA%\.minecraft\mods\VoxelMods\voxelMap\). You'll see a file for the IP of each server you play on, with the .points extension. Just figure out which IP login has the waypoints you want to keep (such as localhost versus public IP), then copy the one you want and rename it to replace the other. This works with Rei's too, and I think the .points files are cross compatible but I haven't verified it.

If you have some waypoints in each file that you want to keep, open the .points file with a text editor (like notepad) and copy the lines for the points you want.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, that was you agreeing with me and apparently not understanding how permissions work because it would be off by default for all players, yet it would be the easiest way to enable caves & entities in the small amount of cases that are like mine by simply adding the permission(s). Why wouldn't we want to see other players & caves on my server if we're not doing PvP? The map showing caves is just what it should do when you're spelunking. Seeing entities on the map is actually just kind of annoying, imo. All it shows is question marks anyway because it doesn't recognize mod-added mobs.

Why bother even playing on a server if you can see entities and caves, you ask? Because none of my friends run a server with 118 mods and 33 bukkit plugins, yet they want to play on it, and those features don't lend themselves to cheating in our environment at all.

You had said

So in other words, not just for opped players, and on by default. I said I totally disagree - I don't think it should be on by default at all, and I don't think it should be available to anyone. I could definitely compromise on permission based - like "builder" or whatever, so maybe not just opped players. However, it still should be turned off by default. If a server admin wants to create a player group and enable it, the onus is on them to do so. Most people don't like having such capabilities on by default. So I'm not against you wanting this feature available - it's how you want to play, that's totally cool. But I don't want to be forced to turn it off. I would definitely side with the majority on what they feel, though. If most people wanted it on by default, I would concede the issue and just turn it off myself. That brings up another issue, though - people are having a problem turning it off, so it's apparently broken. Not good. The mod is also very laggy for some. Also not good. Overall, I'm really against VoxelMap entirely.

As far as the mob radar showing just ? on your screen - not sure what's going on there. It shows the heads on my mini-map. I haven't checked in the Twilight or anything yet, though, so maybe I would see the same thing. Either way, it is properly showing all the vanilla mobs for me.

I think the cave radar should not even be in the mod. I think it's too cheaty and doesn't belong at all. But that's just my opinion on it. You are perfectly entitled. Again, I would be much happier with an off by default and op only setup. If I'm not mistaken, even if something is "op only" you can still override that in the config. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

snake2332

Jul 29, 2019
You had said

So in other words, not just for opped players, and on by default. I said I totally disagree - I don't think it should be on by default at all, and I don't think it should be available to anyone. I could definitely compromise on permission based - like "builder" or whatever, so maybe not just opped players. However, it still should be turned off by default. If a server admin wants to create a player group and enable it, the onus is on them to do so. Most people don't like having such capabilities on by default. So I'm not against you wanting this feature available - it's how you want to play, that's totally cool. But I don't want to be forced to turn it off. I would definitely side with the majority on what they feel, though. If most people wanted it on by default, I would concede the issue and just turn it off myself. That brings up another issue, though - people are having a problem turning it off, so it's apparently broken. Not good. The mod is also very laggy for some. Also not good. Overall, I'm really against VoxelMap entirely.

As far as the mob radar showing just ? on your screen - not sure what's going on there. It shows the heads on my mini-map. I haven't checked in the Twilight or anything yet, though, so maybe I would see the same thing. Either way, it is properly showing all the vanilla mobs for me.

I think the cave radar should not even be in the mod. I think it's too cheaty and doesn't belong at all. But that's just my opinion on it. You are perfectly entitled. Again, I would be much happier with an off by default and op only setup. If I'm not mistaken, even if something is "op only" you can still override that in the config. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I think I kind of worded it wrongly. What I meant was: for those with permission, which could be OP or a group or whatever, the cheater options would be turned on without having to edit a config or a MOTD or anything. Then again, it's not a bukkit plugin so it wouldn't use permission nodes would it? It could use a config like NEIserver.cfg where you manually add names, but that is lame. Basically I am saying it wouldn't be on by default for anyone unless they are manually set to have it, and then it would be on for them so you don't have to show users how to show entities and whatnot.

Anyway, sorry for being kinda jerky. I was drinking a bit too much yesterday.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
I think I kind of worded it wrongly. What I meant was: for those with permission, which could be OP or a group or whatever, the cheater options would be turned on without having to edit a config or a MOTD or anything. Then again, it's not a bukkit plugin so it wouldn't use permission nodes would it? It could use a config like NEIserver.cfg where you manually add names, but that is lame. Basically I am saying it wouldn't be on by default for anyone unless they are manually set to have it, and then it would be on for them so you don't have to show users how to show entities and whatnot.

Anyway, sorry for being kinda jerky. I was drinking a bit too much yesterday.

No worries. So it sounds like we are in agreement, actually. Regular players don't have it on by default. That's pretty much all I was saying. I still think it's a cheaty mod, but at the same time, I recognize people would want this sort of thing. I just feel that by default, it shouldn't be on unless you're an op or the server admin configures it that way - so yea, sounds like you're thinking the same thing :)

snake2332

Jul 29, 2019
No worries. So it sounds like we are in agreement, actually. Regular players don't have it on by default. That's pretty much all I was saying. I still think it's a cheaty mod, but at the same time, I recognize people would want this sort of thing. I just feel that by default, it shouldn't be on unless you're an op or the server admin configures it that way - so yea, sounds like you're thinking the same thing :)

Hehe ya I think we all agree it's total cheats for the majority of MC servers out there. I just have never been a part of those servers, as it just feels really restrictive. I basically want MC to be a big sandbox with tons of toys to play with and only a few rules. It's impossible to run a public server that gives users the kind of abilities I desire because people will grief and troll no matter what and server maintenance would be quite a chore. Damn kids these days anyway.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe ya I think we all agree it's total cheats for the majority of MC servers out there. I just have never been a part of those servers, as it just feels really restrictive. I basically want MC to be a big sandbox with tons of toys to play with and only a few rules. It's impossible to run a public server that gives users the kind of abilities I desire because people will grief and troll no matter what and server maintenance would be quite a chore. Damn kids these days anyway.

Gotcha. I run a private home server because it works slightly differently than doing SSP and performance is better. Plus I can have my friends join in as long as I don't invite the world to play. Because I like the challenge, I run Mindcrack on all default. It's definitely not a sandbox with a bunch of toys hehe. For that I do SSP. But you're right, you can't really have SSP style with other people on most servers, so I can see how this would be good for you.

Okay, I think we've derailed this thread :p Other than installing another MOTD mod, has anyone figured out a way to turn on/off the radars? Or is that the only option?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast