VoxelMap?

Z32

Jul 29, 2019
First off; It managed to import waypoints from Rei's Minimap. Thank god lol.

VoxelMap looks similar, however I have issues with changing the hotkeys off of "M" for Menu. This interferes with Lossless wrench mode.
The config will set the value to "None" instead of the changed key after starting minecraft.

20130313010815.png

Made_You_Look

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, that helps a lot. Still though, I have a whole list of questions.

Is it basically a reskin of Rei's? If yes, ignore the following.

Can it be changed to square?
Can it be changed so that north is at the top?
Does the terrain change colour based on height, like in Rei's?
How many blocks in diameter is the map when zoomed out as much ass possible?
Is it as pretty as Rei's was? :3

More pestering coming soon. :D

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a bit surprised, really.

I didn't see anything wrong with Rei's Minimap. I assume that there was a good reason to use this map instead, but I don't know what it is. Was there any statement made regarding that?

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing it's related to the ip being shown when one logs in with Rei's minimap, as the Mindcrack pack is for the youtubers and streamers on the Mindcrack server, primarily.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
I heard that rei's had a memory leak related to jumping ages a lot
I heard similar things. Rei's was causing major lag on the Ultimate pack so they decided to go with the Voxel map which runs much smoother.
Now on to my query. When I loaded up the Ultimate Pack I had no map. Not realizing they had added the Voxel map I ran out and grabbed Rei's and threw it in. Rei's works, but the game does lag and I have a pretty beefy machine. I'm thinking about ditching Rei's and going back to Voxel. Anyone know how to make it work?

Z32

Jul 29, 2019
The waypoints look like buttcheek compared to Rei's Minimap in my opinion.
Also, nothing but problems so far. Still can't resolve hotkey issues, even when trying to reset to default keys.
And when I log in for the second time; This.
20130313081832.png

VoxelMaps can go explode. Lol >_>

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
I have another thread about Voxel's and my issues with it - namely the mob radar being turned on for NON opped players. Bad news. But yes, according to the ftbwiki, Rei's was removed due to memory leaks. I don't think this was a good replacement, in my opinion.

I haven't experienced the hotkey issue. Rei's defaulted to M also. First thing I would do is change it to N and it never gave me a problem. I did the same for Voxel's and it seems to work. I'm still looking for the config to turn off the mob radar, though. Hopefully they will change this so that it defaults to off. I don't need cheaty mods on my server.

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
not happy with VoxelMap, though I understand why Rei's was canned. I'm trying to deal with it, adapt, and move on. I wish there were some server-side config options. I'd like to be able to turn off mobs on radar. I'm sure many others would like to turn off players in radar. That pretty much kills PvP.

Is there a way to turn off waypoints on the minimap? The waypoint is ginormous on the minimap, and I'd rather it just go away. I couldn't find a setting for this, but they're not labeled very well... it could be there... Anyone?

@Z32 did you actually import your Rei's waypoints? If so, how? Please share!

Z32

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't touch VoxelMaps folder other than to toy with the key config.
When installing 8.2.0, I did select to backup config files, and do not know what that consists of.
Otherwise, I did not do a thing, and VoxelMaps recognized Rei's Minimap waypoints.
Of course, now they're all gone.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
The voxel one causes more lag than rei's just FYI

I'm guessing it's related to the ip being shown when one logs in with Rei's minimap, as the Mindcrack pack is for the youtubers and streamers on the Mindcrack server, primarily.

Learn to edit your videos, and just because 20 youtubers dont like it, doesnt mean that other 10000 people or whatever need to change their packs for a laggier/cheatier map

Lets players are like 10% of the minecraft comunnity, which only 20% of that 10% play with mods, and of that 20%, 20% percent of them might play FTB, which is a really small number in my opinion.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Learn to edit your videos, and just because 20 youtubers dont like it, doesn't mean that other 10000 people or whatever need to change their packs for a laggier/cheatier map.

Let's players are like 10% of the minecraft community, which only 20% of that 10% play with mods, and of that 20%, 20% percent of them might play FTB, which is a really small number in my opinion.

Streamers do it live though! (Hope you don't mind, I added some punctuation and fixed a typo in the quote). Morvelaira has already posted that this actually isn't the reason it's in the pack, it's because the other voxel mods are there and makes life easier for the mod pack team. I'm trying it out just now as it's there, I like the big lights to show where the waypoints are, but not the mobs showing by default. But just like NEI is often in "cheat mode" when I first install/update a pack, I mutter to myself, and go edit the settings in my client. If I don't like it after a while I'll switch back to Rei's or try a different map mod.

What *would* be really nice would be information beforehand of changes like this. Sort of "The FTB Modpack team has decided to change from X mod for Y reason, and this is not being replaced, or an alternative mod Y has been installed instead". I know with a minimap mod it's not a huge issue relating to connection to servers, people can use whatever they want in their own client (like Optifine), but other mods it might be nice to see "We've decided to add L mod to the following packs (including versions). Enjoy building some new (whatevers) in your worlds!". But that's just off-topic really. ;)

Reactions: Croaganey

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
I like the beacons, too. But I also like the ease with which you could adjust Rei's settings. Rei's had key mappings for several of the things that are behind menus in Voxel. I'd often toggle waypoints with Rei's -- with Voxel it's kind of a pain.

I'm hoping we see some updates to Voxel, but in the meantime I'm dealing with it.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I also run a server and I am disappointed by the removal of Rei's. I've been running the Mindcrack Pack + have everyone manually add Mystcraft. So there is a lot of teleporting using linking books. However, I would like to stick with Rei's knowing eventually any memory leaks will be fixked. The options in the Voxel map are very limited.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
My thoughts exactly. Recon_ - you don't have to do any of that. Well I guess you might have to now that Rei's has been removed, but in 8.1.1 Mindcrack w/ Rei's, this was all done for you and radar was off by default. Why should we have to jump through hoops to get the same with Voxel's? That's just stupid, in my opinion.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
also in rei's was actually backwards, you needed to change the MotD (or whatever is that crap called) in the server for it to be ENABLED, not disabled.