Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Could you stop been soo awesome? Blaze powder was always an issue, considering the fact that i have some bad luck about creepers and thus prefer to play on peaceful.

Just as an aside, my brother plays minecraft in peaceful -- and the Peaceful Table (Extra Utilities?) provides him sufficient mob drops to progress. Works fine in the nether too, so you can come away with blaze and ghast tears

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I mainly only treaded Thermal Expansion as a support mod for the other major mod i.e. Buildcraft,IC2, Railcraft, ect. With the new changes to Thermal Expansion (TE3) to me it looks like it will become one of a main mods, even replace my need for Buildcraft MJ's to some point. I will still need MJ for my extra bee machines.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I mainly only treaded Thermal Expansion as a support mod for the other major mod i.e. Buildcraft,IC2, Railcraft, ect. With the new changes to Thermal Expansion (TE3) to me it looks like it will become one of a main mods, even replace my need for Buildcraft MJ's to some point. I will still need MJ for my extra bee machines.

I treated buildcraft as an add-on for thermal expansion :p
but yes, MJ for bee machines will be needed, thus why they're implementing conversions between their energy and most of the other mod power sources out there

Reactions: RedBoss

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Ooohh~
this is an interesting prospect

Was TE3 the only mod being waited on?

FTB is or was not waiting on TE or any other mod, last I checked. FTB is waiting for the launcher to be ready with support for Minecraft 1.6, which the current one does not offer.

To give an example: Direwolf20 is a big TE fan, but he already submitted the mod list for the 1.6.x DW20 packs weeks ago. Had the launcher been ready then, the pack would have been rolled out, without TE. I'm fairly sure he would have added TE as soon as it was out, but he certainly wasn't delaying his pack for it.

Slowpoke posted on this topic a long while back already, in spring 2013, when clueless people purported the myth that 1.5 packs were being delayed due to waiting for Redpower. He explained that he does not want a world where FTB, or any other modpack, dictates to modders when they should release, or hold them responsible for doing their (free) work. And making the release of a modpack dependant on the inclusion of a specific mod leads down that slippery slope fairly quickly.

EDIT: The relevant thread is here: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/feed-the-beast-redpower-and-1-5-x.18827/

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Nope.

But on the upside, if TE3 releases before the 1.6 FTB packs, then the 1.6 FTB packs will with a very high probability include TE from the get-go. This is useful for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is unified worldgen.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I treated buildcraft as an add-on for thermal expansion :p
but yes, MJ for bee machines will be needed, thus why they're implementing conversions between their energy and most of the other mod power sources out there

Actually, no, you won't.
You will be able to hook up your TE3 conduits directly to your extrabee machines without the need for buildcraft being involved at all.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
FTB is or was not waiting on TE or any other mod, last I checked. FTB is waiting for the launcher to be ready with support for Minecraft 1.6, which the current one does not offer.

To give an example: Direwolf20 is a big TE fan, but he already submitted the mod list for the 1.6.x DW20 packs weeks ago. Had the launcher been ready then, the pack would have been rolled out, without TE. I'm fairly sure he would have added TE as soon as it was out, but he certainly wasn't delaying his pack for it.

Given that TE3 is just around the corner, does this mean that FTB 1.6.4 is ready-set ... or should we allow a few weeks more for the FTB modpack to be assembled and tested?

The FTB 1.6 pack has bin worked on for a couple of weeks now. Last I heard it was still "blowing up". Direct quote.
The pack won't be released until there is at least one week without a major crash bug. And I know of one such bug that was only fixed yesterday.
So it'll be 3 weeks or more for a completely rewritten mod to get added. Maybe more maybe less.
I don't imagen they will hold the release of the 1.6 pack for just TE though. They will probably just add it in later.[DOUBLEPOST=1384425506][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nope.

But on the upside, if TE3 releases before the 1.6 FTB packs, then the 1.6 FTB packs will with a very high probability include TE from the get-go. This is useful for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is unified worldgen.

Retrogen would remove that reason to hold back. As douse Mystcraft.

tobi1449

Jul 29, 2019
If I recall correctly there won't be a way to convert MJ to RF, right?
If so, will there be any way to use steam to generate RF? I'd really like to keep my boilers :p

zacseow

Jul 29, 2019
Steam Dynamos will accept steam from external sources. Or, they can generate it internally, given solid fuel and water. Tested and working with both RC and Factorization.
Hooray! Means I can get a quick source of RF using my already present steam boilers, although just a question: how much power per engine/dynamo?

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I spy, with my little eye... dynamos are spinning, not pumping like engines!

Well, sort of. That's a temporary thing. In the interest of TESR avoidance, I'm redoing the render on dynamos. They won't have any fancy moving parts, but they'll still look nice.