Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
What my previous post meant was a question at ShneekeyTheLost with regards to his 1440 rf/t is more than enough energy comment. :p

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
What my previous post meant was a question at ShneekeyTheLost with regards to his 1440 rf/t is more than enough energy comment. :p

The thing is, it should cover most users use of TE3, It's when you bring in things from other mods that the power production becomes insufficient (4000 RF/t for MFR laser, and 9000 RF/t to use one of each Extra Bee's genetic machines)

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Since we're talking about using boilers with the Steam Dynamos, CJ just tweeted an update to Railcraft. One of the changes? Fuel values.
  • CHANGE: Fuel adjustments: Blaze Rods 800->1000, Coal 3200->1600, Coke 6400->3200, Coke Block 57600->28800 (fixes Short overflow issues with furnaces).
Slight buff to Blaze Rods. Coal and Coal Coke nerfed by half. Doesn't mention charcoal but I imagine it too is halved.

Last edited:

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Since we're talking about using boilers with the Steam Dynamos, CJ just tweeted an update to Railcraft. One of the changes? Fuel values.
  • CHANGE: Fuel adjustments: Blaze Rods 800->1000, Coal 3200->1600, Coke 6400->3200, Coke Block 57600->28800 (fixes Short overflow issues with furnaces).
Slight buff to Blaze Rods and Coal and Coal Coke nerfed by half. Doesn't mention charcoal but I imagine it too is halved.
Guess it's time to ask some dev for a boiler replacement, because I ain't planting that many lag machines (aka tree farms).

Reactions: Sarda and RedBoss

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Guess it's time to ask some dev for a boiler replacement, because I ain't planting that many lag machines (aka tree farms).
Magmatic Dynamos + Enderthermic Pump + Tesseract

Enderthermic Pump from ExtraUtils to pump out lava from the Nether, but replacing the lava blocks so you don't get the horribad lag from flowing block animations, powering all the things. Use tesseract to transport to your Magmatic Dynamos. Run everything on nether lava. When you run out of nether lava, fire up Magmatic Crucible, and start smelting down Netherrack for a positive energy cycle.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Universal Electricity - Atomic Science's Fusion Reactor with Reactor Turbines.

The startup cost is pretty hefty in terms of the bronze and miscellaneous materials required but once you start it up, it pays for itself and requires no further input.

For smaller output and earlier options, Mekanism's Hydrogen Generator coupled with Electrolytic Separator is also another option.

For even earlier power generation options, Mekanism's Heat Generator can provide passive power generation if you have it's side covered by lava source blocks. You can also feed it solid fuel, e.g. coal and charcoal, while having 4 sides covered by lava, 1 side for the universal cable and another side for pipes to feed solid fuel into it.

In case you have not noticed, I'm pretty much a UE and Mekanism (mainly Mekanism) fanboy. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: jokermatt999

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Slight buff to Blaze Rods. Coal and Coal Coke nerfed by half. Doesn't mention charcoal but I imagine it too is halved.

Pulling that out of context is rather shortsighted, and shows you did not understand what the update is actually about.

Boilers got a complete rework in that version. There is a whole new formula for fuel consumption. The massive fuel drain for heatup has been removed in favor of scaling steam output by temperature. As a result, you no longer pay an upfront price to get your boiler started. In the case of the ever popular 36HP, that's some 14,000 (in words: fourteen thousand - almost 218 stacks) units of charcoal, at the old values, you just saved. At the new values, it's twice that much charcoal.

Fuel consumption now actually increases (instead of decreases) with temperature, but it scales much less drastically. The curve is much flatter.

What this means is that you need to step away from the way you learned to interpretate the fuel values for boilers. The old way means nothing anymore. The analysis I made a little under a year ago is now outdated. The new formulas will need to be examined anew and tested conclusively ingame before we can once again judge the value of pieces (or buckets) of fuel compared to other mods.

Reactions: jokermatt999

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
if you forget about Steam Funnels you are doing it wrong.
Regarding the funnels, can you give me a tutorial on them? :p The youtube videos I've watched all just have the reactor turbines right above the water and no funnels used at all. :(

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding the funnels, can you give me a tutorial on them? :p The youtube videos I've watched all just have the reactor turbines right above the water and no funnels used at all. :(
you put funnels above water like you would have turbines and pull steam out of them(liquiducts ftw). then you run your pipes of choice to turbines, better use big ones. this allows you to power a lot more(some say infinite) turbines than without funnels.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Universal Electricity - Atomic Science's Fusion Reactor with Reactor Turbines.

The startup cost is pretty hefty in terms of the bronze and miscellaneous materials required but once you start it up, it pays for itself and requires no further input.
I thought you had to keep feeding it capsules of deuterium made with tin? It couldn't be piped in as a liquid from the chemical extractor last I tried (which admittedly was a while ago).

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I thought you had to keep feeding it capsules of deuterium made with tin? It couldn't be piped in as a liquid from the chemical extractor last I tried (which admittedly was a while ago).
You sure can now. I've tried it TE3's Fluiduct as well as Ender IO's fluid conduit too. And best of all, TE3's tesseract can transport that too.
you put funnels above water like you would have turbines and pull steam out of them(liquiducts ftw). then you run your pipes of choice to turbines, better use big ones. this allows you to power a lot more(some say infinite) turbines than without funnels.
Example? Like, instead of the turbines directly above the water, replace all of them with the funnels? Then use fluiducts to extract steam out of them and directly into the turbines?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I hope not too many. RF works well and all, but there's still people like me who actually like to have some gameplay in their power systems. ;) For me, RF is the most boring thing ever to work with because there's nothing to learn about it, nothing that player skill can improve on. I had my TE machines wired up in under 2 minutes and haven't even touched it since (over 2 weeks ago) because there's no point. Well, I did give the magmatic dynamo powering my base a tesseract, but that's about it.

It's a matter of differing playstyles. The worst possible thing that could happen would be all mods switching to the same power system. Variety is the spice of life.