Thermal Expansion 3.0!!! No More Beta! Thanks KL!

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I just updated from b6b to b8a today.

I noticed that the config now lacks some settings. For example, I:Smelter.Bronze.Quantity is no longer there. And ingame, bronze smelting now defaults to 2. This is a shame, because I wrote my server configs around the fact that TiCo smelteries produce 3 bronze per 3 copper/1 tin recipe. With the removal of that setting, the TE induction smelter is the inferior option. As I'm dabbling in IC2, which requires tons of copper, I'll have to discontinue using the induction smelter and instead build a TiCo smeltery that I won't even use for anything but bronze.

Can I please have that config option back? :s

Unintended. The config option is still checked actually, it just isn't being written due to me moving when recipes are loaded. Will be fixed in the next release.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick question guys, I am tring to do some math and workout how many Steam Dynamo I can attach to a boiler. I am not sure how much steam per tick they use does anyone know?

Thanks.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick question guys, I am tring to do some math and workout how many Steam Dynamo I can attach to a boiler. I am not sure how much steam per tick they use does anyone know?

Thanks.
Not sure on the exact numbers myself but I'm using 18 of them on my 36HP with no issues.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Not sure on the exact numbers myself but I'm using 18 of them on my 36HP with no issues.
You should be able to double that. I remember someone saying they're on par with commercial steam engines.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
You should be able to double that. I remember someone saying they're on par with commercial steam engines.

Well that sounds more like it because I have 20 attached so far and I have lots of steam. So the Steam Dynamo must use 20/t.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you're right. Sorry about that.

0IQu6Ov.png

qRz1SxP.png
Add anymore and they start flickering on/off.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, you're right. Sorry about that.

0IQu6Ov.png

qRz1SxP.png
Add anymore and they start flickering on/off.
Yea the half full steam is the sure fire way to know you're using all the steam produced.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Of course, unlike a 'vanilla' BC/Forestry/RC environment, you have energy storage devices to help normalize peak times and require overall lower consistent power output to maintain maximum speed on all machines.

In other words, 36 steam engines, putting out 1,440 RF/t is way more than you are ever likely to need, unless you are powering all of your BC/Forestry/ExtraBees/RC machines with it as well. Even then, you're probably good for quite some time. Also, double-check your throughput on the conduits attached to your engines, you might be hitting an inadvertent choke point in your conduit.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
What about MFR's Laser Drill? Doesn't it take 400 mj/t to max it out while a 36 HP Steam Boiler can only churn out 144 mj/t?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sarda

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, unlike a 'vanilla' BC/Forestry/RC environment, you have energy storage devices to help normalize peak times and require overall lower consistent power output to maintain maximum speed on all machines.

In other words, 36 steam engines, putting out 1,440 RF/t is way more than you are ever likely to need, unless you are powering all of your BC/Forestry/ExtraBees/RC machines with it as well. Even then, you're probably good for quite some time. Also, double-check your throughput on the conduits attached to your engines, you might be hitting an inadvertent choke point in your conduit.

Yeah thoese ExtraBees machines really suck the power.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
What about MFR's Laser Drill? Doesn't it take 400 mj/t to max it out while a 36 HP Steam Boiler can only churn out 144 mj/t?

2048 EU/400 MJ/4000 RF for a Laser Drill with 4 Prechargers.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019

To power the MFR's Laser Drill your really not going to use the Steam Dynamo just use the railcraft ones because it's not like your going to turn off the Drill so you don't need to store the power.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
To power the MFR's Laser Drill your really not going to use the Steam Dynamo just use the railcraft ones because it's not like your going to turn off the Drill so you don't need to store the power.

Steam Dynamo's are far more fps and server friendly. Besides I'd rather blow some copper on dynamos than wait around for RC steel to cook.

Reactions: un worry

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Steam Dynamo's are far more fps and server friendly. Besides I'd rather blow some copper on dynamos than wait around for RC steel to cook.
However, you need a full stack of Steam Dynamos to saturate one boiler. It's pretty insane. I'd really appreciate if we got some kind of upgraded dynamo that didn't blow off several hundred copper for a single boiler. Actually, in general high energy production dynamos would be very nice (only one atm that's balanced in terms of cost-production is Compressions IMO since it's only 20 RF/t behind its main competitor, the Combustion Engine, and uses silver which is fairly unused otherwise).