The staff on these forums are awesome!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Are the staff good?!

• Total voters

xXDark_FireXx

Jul 29, 2019
Hey no one get angry okay? This thread is for the people who appreciate the staff who devote their time for free for us. Not for arguments! :p

xXDark_FireXx

Jul 29, 2019
Because, People who take ranks to serious tend to be very strict and don't have a sense of humour anymore... But people like Eyamaz, Well he still has a sense of humour and he has quiet a big role in FTB.

Reactions: Padfoote

IDave_the_Rave

Jul 29, 2019
Because, People who take ranks to serious tend to be very strict and don't have a sense of humour anymore... But people like Eyamaz, Well he still has a sense of humour and he has quiet a big role in FTB.

I've been active on a few forums in the past and I've met a lot of forum moderators who've taken their roles very seriously. I've usually found that they can still joke around. I'm not suggesting that any of the moderators don't have a sense of humour. I've seen them having joking around with each other, and other forum members in threads before. I just didn't realise anyone else thought it was something worth mentioning.

There's always one...
I wouldn't expect any favours from the staff if I were you mate, and they sure do a lot of favours!

I wouldn't expect any favours from them. I know none of them and I see no reason why any of them should be obligated to do me any favours. And as far as I'm concerned the FTB staff are nothing special, in fact I see them as fairly typical forum moderators. They do their job, and I appreciate their work. However I don't feel that they're extraordinary in any way.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't expect any favours from them. I know none of them and I see no reason why any of them should be obligated to do me any favours. And as far as I'm concerned the FTB staff are nothing special, in fact I see them as fairly typical forum moderators. They do their job, and I appreciate their work. However I don't feel that they're extraordinary in any way.
They create modpacks, they spend hours to help you, they list EVERY mod and EVERY permission in their packs, they find people like you, they promote the best, they improve the forum, they are the reason we're even talking right now.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
And as far as I'm concerned the FTB staff are nothing special, in fact I see them as fairly typical forum moderators. They do their job, and I appreciate their work. However I don't feel that they're extraordinary in any way.
This might just be me coming from a super strict forum past, but the ability to derail a thread for a little while before going back on topic is like a breath of wonderful fresh and beautiful air.

IDave_the_Rave

Jul 29, 2019
They create modpacks, they spend hours to help you, they list EVERY mod and EVERY permission in their packs, they find people like you, they promote the best, they improve the forum, they are the reason we're even talking right now.

Well I've been thinking more specifically about staff activity inside of the forums. They haven't spent hours directly helping me, and they haven't directly (if at all) promoted me in any way. Oh, and they didn't find me either. Yes, they improve the forums. But I would expect no less if any one else was working in their place. Are they the reason we're talking right now? I suspect that their influence on us talking has had only a very small impact. Also I don't know what I can say about them listing mods and permissions for each modpack. I guess in other communities I haven't had any moderators that do that. However there have been moderators who do other things relating to whatever community they've been a part of, possibly not quite as stressful or time consuming, I'll admit.

**EDIT: I've just realised your post said "promoting the best", not "promoting you". Sorry, I misread that. However who do they promote, out of interest? Other than some mod creators.**

Well if they were like everyone else then they wouldn't be staff?

I don't really see how that has a bearing on how good they are as forum moderators. Yes, they probably were selected because of their own individual qualities that make them more suited to the job as a forum moderator, but like I said, I don't think that they are anything extraordinary.

Someone voted staff as no not really o_O dun dun duuuun i can guess who it was :p

Yup it was me. I think "Meh" is actually where I sit but I can't change that vote now. I was quick to make my vote, having only thought "Well I remember that in the past the moderators have handled some situations in one way, whereas I think they could have been handled better in a different way".

This might just be me coming from a super strict forum past, but the ability to derail a thread for a little while before going back on topic is like a breath of wonderful fresh and beautiful air.

Yes it can be a nice breath of fresh air, especially in heated thread, such as any thread that asks something along the lines of "Do you like Gregtech?". But the moderators don't have to be the ones to take things off topic. Other users can do that too, unless the moderators are strict and only allow staff to derail threads even temporarily.

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Yes it can be a nice breath of fresh air, especially in heated thread, such as any thread that asks something along the lines of "Do you like Gregtech?". But the moderators don't have to be the ones to take things off topic. Other users can do that too, unless the moderators are strict and only allow staff to derail threads even temporarily.
Yeah, that's exactly why they're awesome. We, the users, can derail threads, but they do step in if a topic goes extremely off topic for an extremely long amount of time.

Reactions: RealSketch

IDave_the_Rave

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's exactly why they're awesome. We, the users, can derail threads, but they do step in if a topic goes extremely off topic for an extremely long amount of time.

Is that awesome? I didn't think it was a particularly noteworthy skill. Especially for someone in a position where they can demand that the topic gets back on its original course. Also I think all of the forums I've seen over the years discourage off topic discussions within threads, and I think I've always seen moderators who are able to sway the course of discussion back to in intended topic.

xXDark_FireXx

Jul 29, 2019
... I won't delete it. But i have got some things to day i'll say later. Right now i got to go. But check back in a hour or two.