The Future of FTB Modpacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
With all due respect (and i mean that as i really do respect you for all the crap you put up with as well as you and others bringing the modders/modding community together which is awesome) I Disagree with your decision Slowpoke.

I was under the impression that a final decision hadn't been made yet due to his post about sleeping on it.

eragonawesome

Jul 29, 2019
thanks slow, It is good to know ftb has an extremely low tolerance for this kind of thing, I hope to see GT, not removed but severely altered to remove any malicious code by the time it comes back, as for TConstruct, Poor Mdiyo, he has to wear the pumpkin of shame on ftb ultimate pack

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to have to agree with Jakj here on this one, crashing code for non-functional reasons is simply unacceptable regardless of the when or where or why it crashes.

Things it's OK to crash for: Item ID conflicts, major mod conflicts or other types of major experience-impairing conflicts

Things it isn't OK to crash for: Literally everything else.

I salute your ability to simplify without oversimplifying, sir. :salute:

As regards the original topic of discussion: I believe my post here best sums up my feelings on the matter. There are times I like the GregTech experience. But I'd prefer the ability to choose that experience, rather than having it foisted upon me as a part of another pack--especially given that we can't trust that Greg won't try this again, given his attitude toward us.

eragonawesome

Jul 29, 2019
I was under the impression that a final decision hadn't been made yet due to his post about sleeping on it.
this was the decision, slow said, GT go bye bye, it is malicious and intentionally crashes the game because greg threw a hissy-fit at MDiyo, over a vanilla crafting recipie that was nerfed by greg and unnerfed by Mdiyo, that recipie being 1 log = 4 planks, greg made it 1 log= 2 planks, on hard mode of gt 1 log = 1 plank, greg then decided that because he dissagreed with Mdiyo, He would crash the game of anyone who had tconstruct and gt at the same time, also, mdiyo has to wear the pumpkin of shame at all times because greg coded If Mdiyo exists then, replace armor.helmet with armor.pumpkin_of_shame

Gamabunta00

Jul 29, 2019

From the way i read the OP (might have misunderstood) It seemed he was planning on not including the 2 together in the same modpack, this leads me to believe they will both be in seperate modpacks, meaning GregTech would be in. I also had not seen his other post, Thank you for informing me about it though :)

Shukaro

Jul 29, 2019
this was the decision, slow said, GT go bye bye, it is malicious and intentionally crashes the game because greg threw a hissy-fit at MDiyo, over a vanilla crafting recipie that was nerfed by greg and unnerfed by Mdiyo, that recipie being 1 log = 4 planks, greg made it 1 log= 2 planks, on hard mode of gt 1 log = 1 plank, greg then decided that because he dissagreed with Mdiyo, He would crash the game of anyone who had tconstruct and gt at the same time, also, mdiyo has to wear the pumpkin of shame at all times because greg coded If Mdiyo exists then, replace armor.helmet with armor.pumpkin_of_shame

He has not decided anything at all, stop jumping to conclusions.

Vermillion

Jul 29, 2019
With all due respect (and i mean that as i really do respect you for all the crap you put up with as well as you and others bringing the modders/modding community together which is awesome) I Disagree with your decision Slowpoke. GregTech should NOT be in ANY FTB packs by defualt. Reason being it put Malicious Code into the game which could have potentially made it into servers. and quite frankly i would NOT trust someone who put Malicious code just because they didnt like another mod/had a conflict or EVER put in malicious code to begin with. Honestly i cant help but question the integrity of ANY pack with GregTech in it. I mean if this were a less popular mod creating a crash on purpose what would you do?

What im trying to say is that it should not be defualt in any pack, doing this would raise the question "What if its not just a crash next time". I dont know GregoriusT so i must base my Trust in his mod based purely on the mod itself. If it crashes for no reason other than there is another mod he doesn't like there then how can i trust him not to go farther?. Malicious Code is Malicious Code so unless your condoning it, get rid of GregTech. Thank you
Your opinion of whether GregTech be in any Feed the Beast modpack is just that, your opinion.
It's up to the pack developers and beta testers to find any malicious code and bring it to the attention of the mod developers, or in this case adjust the configs of GregTech and Tinker's Construct to the more balanced/approved version. In this case, it seems that it would be best to change GregTech's 1 log = 2 planks config to the vanilla state of 1 log = 4 planks. With the option of GT's log config available to server owners for those Hardcore Players.
Malicious code as posted upthread can be found in almost all the core mods of FTB and no one is complaining about them. Likely due to the fact that the most vocal members of these forums are the disgruntled ones with something that they don't agree with or don't like about the content of the mod itself.
This isn't a thread to outline GregoriusT's shortcomings and how much of an ass he is for putting this code in his mod. It's for the continuity of the current modlist in the ultimate pack. Not whether you trust Greg or even his mod. Trust in this case, needs to be placed firmly on the FTB development team and SlowPoke, who chose to put this mod in their pack(s) at the behest of its players. It's up to them to either update, configure or remove a mod if it inserts malicious code that disagrees with the existing setup of the mods as they are in their default state. As it stands, the default configs regarding GregTech and all other mods are fully customizable by the FTB Developers when they're added to the launcher. Inconsistencies and conflicts can be avoided with a little extra work on their part and any resulting crashes are best considered a bug or resultant from the user altering something against recommendation or better judgment.
Currently, Tinker's Construct and GregTech can, will and DO work together. Provided that the individual player (The "End User") does not alter the Tinker's Construct config file to overwrite GregTech's plank recipe and instead uses the identical file in the GregTech configs.

Note for Stephan Baynam: Greg will allow the use of GregTech in Tekkit/Technic if KakerMix or whoever is in-charge asks him politely. He'll remove his anti-Tekkit/technic code and allow full use of his mod by Tekkit. He's been saying that for months, yet no request has come. So... yeah.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

Pumpkin of shame is removed from mDiyo. Only one to wear it now is Immibis.

Slow has also not decided anything other than that Gregtech and TiC will never be in the same packs as requested by mDiyo.

There is also no need to discuss what happened or why. This is not the thread for it.

Moleculor

Jul 29, 2019
For all his faults, and he has many, the "anti Tekkit" code cannot be described as malicious with a straight face. All it does is refuse to init the mod. The machines don't work. The recipes aren't inserted, etc. The game still runs, and existing GT items don't even get deleted, they just stop working.

It is not an example of one of the 8 places he purposefully crashes the game.
That might be how it is now, but so far as I can tell it was the source of our server crashing a few months ago when the code was first introduced. I think he may have cleaned it up a bit since then and made it behave better, but it certainly wasn't "nice" code when he first introduced it.

Stephen Baynham

Jul 29, 2019
That might be how it is now, but so far as I can tell it was the source of our server crashing a few months ago when the code was first introduced. I think he may have cleaned it up a bit since then and made it behave better, but it certainly wasn't "nice" code when he first introduced it.

Like I said, i'm pretty sure that writing to the system error log prevents minecraft from finishing startup.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I know at least at one point, the client wouldn't finish initializing, and I believe that the reason is that forge won't finish loading if the system error log has been written to..

Well, that would be a Forge/OS bug and not the expected result of sending text to the system error log. There's plenty to lay at Greg's feet, there's no reason to pile on. Intent matters, and the intent here clearly has nothing to do with crashing/freezing the game.

Hoho

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure modpack authors just love to have two conflicting configs changing the same thing and having to specifically know what conf will be the one that actually works in the end now that mDiyo has added back the un-nerf.

DampTangent

Jul 29, 2019
I would just like to say that stuff like game crashing code because you have X mod installed along with Y mod is just horrible, absolutely horrible. The Minecraft modding community can be the most asinine, petty, childish, modding community I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing sometimes. Modders ruining people's games because they disagree with other modders over in-game stuff is just stupid. Literally the most horrible thing you can do to a modding community. I know modders do this on their own time. I know that I don't have to play with mods if it upsets me this much but holy gosh darnit, if literally the only thing that makes my modded game unplayable is because two modders can't agree on how many planks you get from a fuggin' log then that's stupid, I'm sorry. It is literally the most backwards, destructive thing to ever have existed in reality. There really needs to be a "the mods in this pack don't F*$% with each other" pack for FTB.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Stephen Baynham

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure modpack authors just love to have two conflicting configs changing the same thing and having to specifically know what conf will be the one that actually works in the end now that mDiyo has added back the un-nerf.

The good news is they don't have to- both configs work.

DampTangent

Jul 29, 2019
There is, it's the 1.5.2 No Gregtech pack.

What if I said to you that I'm a glutton for punishment and actually like Gregtech, the mod. Greg is a tool. His mod, for the most part, is cool. I like everything about his mod but the whole "imma crash your game because you have another mod installed" BS. Up until fairly recently I was a very big fan of Gregtech. If his code that crashes my game because of his childish fued with another modder I won't download either mod, honestly. If two modders interfere with each other like that I just won' support either of them. FTB is quickly turning into Technic when it comes to modding drama that honestly doesn't belong.

Stephen Baynham

Jul 29, 2019
If TiC is installed whatever is set in its config will be what is in game. It doesn't matter what settings are used in GT configs.

That's not true:

TConstruct-denerf|Gregtech-denerf|Result
false|false|nerfed
true|false|denerfed
false|true|denerfed
true|true|denerfed

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
What if I said to you that I'm a glutton for punishment and actually like Gregtech, the mod. Greg is a tool. His mod, for the most part, is cool. I like everything about his mod but the whole "imma crash your game because you have another mod installed" BS. Up until fairly recently I was a very big fan of Gregtech. If his code that crashes my game because of his childish fued with another modder I won't download either mod, honestly. If two modders interfere with each other like that I just won' support either of them. FTB is quickly turning into Technic when it comes to modding drama that honestly doesn't belong.

By the very nature of the Gregtech mod you can't have it in any form of, as you put it, "the mods in this pack don't F*$% with each other pack." Most of what Gregtech does is make changes to other mods and their recipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.