The Future of FTB Modpacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
This thread is about what Slowpoke is deciding to do in the future should a mod cause a crash.

There are several issues he has to take into consideration:

1. What is the difference between DRM and spiteful code?

2. At what point is he no longer ok with including a mod based on code that may or may not exist?

We don't decompile mods. So if its closed source, the only way we know its there is if it causes an issue. What may or may not be there in code that we can't see is even harder to have an opinion on.

Bringing up ancient history, mudslinging and such is not the point of this thread. Hearsay isn't the point of this thread. The point of this thread is what Slow plans to do in the future. Get back on topic and stop dragging up every "I heard that so and so had a cousin who's 5th grade teacher had a friend who's uncle's world got destroyed by xyz mod." Posts that go against this may randomly vanish in a fit of moderator generated lightning bolts. Users that continue the pattern may also find themselves taking some time off to cool down. If you wish to discuss current circumstances the place for that is over here http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/all-greg-tech-discussions-go-here.26576/

Hobby boy

Jul 29, 2019
If Gregtech does get removed in future packs, I would like to see some of the Universal Electricity mods in the main modpacks, specifically Atomic Science by Calclavia, and Mekanism by aidancbrady. I do agree that mods that contain malicous code shouldn't be in a FTB modpack, as it will get past down to the end users, that would stop playing the pack.

Reactions: Flipz and Loufmier

Zavvias

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly i would like to say im glad that FTB team saw problem and aims to resolve it. My only concern is that FTB can and want to use soft ways to deal with it. Soft means would be described by Slow excluding mod from mod packs or separating them by making two or more new mod packs. I fully understand FTB team and support their policy about not intervene/force mod authors telling them what they should or shouldnt do limiting actions to (as Slow said) giving guidelines. As it may not be clear my post is not about thinking if FTB will deal with this problem good or bad (im sure they will do good job), but i want to highlight that after resolving issue with mods hurting players within FTB launcher trouble will remain while instaling mods by ourselves. We (players) need to be aware of this recent incidents and show mod authors that we like their mods, ideas and changes but only when it dont hurt us/our gameplay and when we are freely able to mix and join them with diffrent mods by other authors.

Status
Not open for further replies.