rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Though I've always wondered, what, if anything, goes into planning your builds? Do you draw and plan out your base layout or does it just come to you while playing?
I plan out the builds a long time ahead. A lot of iterations are done in my head and through small tests in the world(like small exploratory tunnels, setting waypoints, cobble mockups, etc.).

A small example is that I have been wanting to create a proper landing pad for easy access to the base when going/coming home from flying around. Atm I have to get in through a crack in the window of one of upper the discs. I have had a location in mind which connects up directly with a Openblocks elevator shaft that takes me down to the main hub area(the sandstone garden area) for over a week. I am just not sure about how to to make the landing pad and if the location is really right. So I have been "maturing" the idea for a while(actually came up with something new when writing this :O) and then at some point I feel it is time to test it out in reality.

It can also work a bit different. For example the sandstone hub area. I just had an idea for the shape of that and dug it out. And it was just cobble for weeks while the rest of the idea fell into place(and changed along the way a bit).

I do not draw anything, but I think I have a pretty good spatial imagination and awareness(or whatever it is called) when it comes to designing things. I just "draw" them out in my head I guess.

Other times it just takes a lot of experimentation and trial and error. You just have to be ready to tear down 30 mins of work and start again :p

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Alright, this is what I had in mind:

Reset Logic

Repeater Separators

The incoming signal is delayed by two clicks of the project red repeaters. Then the signal is fed into the transmitter that sends to the destination. All of that feeds into counter logic which guarantees they'll reset when a destination is chosen.

Counter Logic

This set up does require thirty channels, but since you're in single player that's no big deal I presume.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Alright, this is what I had in mind:

Reset Logic Repeater Separators

The incoming signal is delayed by two clicks of the project red repeaters. Then the signal is fed into the transmitter that sends to the destination. All of that feeds into counter logic which guarantees they'll reset when a destination is chosen.

Counter Logic

This set up does require thirty channels, but since you're in single player that's no big deal I presume.
Still confused. First picture is not working. And what exactly are you counting? Wouldn't a RS-latch be enough?

And what exactly is it you are trying to achieve? From what I have seen it just looks like you have moved the reset circuits out to the switch tracks(I assume that is what you are doing with the counters).

And I would never worry about using up too many channels, not even on a server. There are 5000 channels on each of the 16 spectrums :p

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It's displaying for me, but I changed to another picture.

I also realize I over did the reset system, but I do that a lot. (I used ten separate off channels when I only needed one.) RS-Latches work just fine, but I've never been able to get them to work, and toggle latches sometimes get stuck. A counter set to 1/1/1 is guaranteed to function only in I/O states. And I only represented it there as an example, and because it's a lot easier to diagnose there than in widely spread field implementations.

But what's happening is that the incoming signal from a button press for station 1 at any station, causes a redstone pulse through the transmitter, and into the receiver. One pulse goes underneath and straight to the reset, that causes all switch tracks to decrement to straight track status. Then a couple ticks later, the receiving station increments it's tracks into curved mode.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It's displaying for me, but I changed to another picture.

I also realize I over did the reset system, but I do that a lot. (I used ten separate off channels when I only needed one.) RS-Latches work just fine, but I've never been able to get them to work, and toggle latches sometimes get stuck. A counter set to 1/1/1 is guaranteed to function only in I/O states. And I only represented it there as an example, and because it's a lot easier to diagnose there than in widely spread field implementations.

But what's happening is that the incoming signal from a button press for station 1 at any station, causes a redstone pulse through the transmitter, and into the receiver. One pulse goes underneath and straight to the reset, that causes all switch tracks to decrement to straight track status. Then a couple ticks later, the receiving station increments it's tracks into curved mode.
1: Yeah you could do with just one reset Transmitter and have all the receivers out at the switchtracks on the same channel.

2: If you moved the Counters back to the rest of the stuff and compared it to my setup, you would realise it is completely identical :p Only difference is that I used Wireless transmitters/recievers(frequency 11) to block signals flowing back and you used Repeaters.
The wireless solutions just saved me from having to connect all the separate circuits up with each others and fit in repeaters. I was considering Repeaters as "diodes" but chose the wireless as it was much easier and compact.

kB3WZ39.png

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Like I said, this is all based of an old world with hideously complicated redstone. I've always had issues getting ender pearls, so any time I can save them I do. I suppose an RS-latch works, but I've had them get stuck in the wrong position on me too often.

Have you tried out EnderIO's insulated Redstone conduits? I believe that switch motors will sit on the conduit facades, and shouldn't have issue taking signal from those. That'll let you hide the signaling better than MFR cables.

What I still don't get though is why you've got eight transmitters on the end if you only need one?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Have you tried out EnderIO's insulated Redstone conduits? I believe that switch motors will sit on the conduit facades, and shouldn't have issue taking signal from those. That'll let you hide the signaling better than MFR cables.
I have used them a bit, but it simply didn't occur to me to use them in this case. Could have been a good alternative, although in many places I do make use of the different coloured channels.

What I still don't get though is why you've got eight transmitters on the end if you only need one?
The eight was an overestimate. Turned out I needed a maximum of five.

This is a schematic of my network in its default state:
728nQka.png

The arrows indicate the default(no redstone signal) route the wye tracks will send the cart if it is coming from the station.

Lets take a case: We want to go to station 5 but I want to use the same signal from all my stations. So in order to get to station 5 from anywhere in the network I need to make all the network point towards station 5.

Therefore signals need to be send to:
Wyetrackes at station 2, 6 and 9. All the others point towards 5 in default state.
Switch track at station 5 to send cart into station 5.

And this is exactly what you can see on this picture:
fJyTEfo.png

(Station 5's circuit is the one in the lower right)
Frequency 21, 29 and 35 are for the wyetracks at station 2, 6 and 9 and 26 is for the switchtrack at station 5.

So now I can press the button sending the signal on frequency 5 from any station, get in a cart and it will take me to station 5.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It should still work because it does have multiple channel colors of it's own. Doesn't interact with things like PRC's or big reactors,but you can run multiple independant redstone signals down the same line. I had my steam dynamo's setup that way, before I hooked my steam boiler into a turbine. Because if I tried to turn them all on while it was heating, the boiler would stall out, which in turn stalled the charcoal production until the boiler died.

Ah, that's my point confusion. I was thinking those were for the switch tracks. Gotcha. Hmm... You don't actually need to fire the switch tracks at the origin station. As long as they're pointing the correct way, they'll let a cart on and send it along no matter what the switch motor state is. I use that in a couple of places for continuous loops.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You don't actually need to fire the switch tracks at the origin station. As long as they're pointing the correct way, they'll let a cart on and send it along no matter what the switch motor state is. I use that in a couple of places for continuous loops.
Yeah I am not. I am only activating a single switch-track, the one at the destination station. The others are for the wye-tracks to ensure the cart goes in the right direction. If I don't the wye track(if they are not pointing the right way by default) would send the cart in the opposite direction on the main track.

I think you are still confused about the function of the wye-tracks. I explained that about 4 pages ago:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-28#post-895001

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
No, I just can't read words good. I was thinking that was the circuit for leaving station five, not arriving at it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, like Railcraft signals, all the explanations in the world won't make it make sense like actually building it.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
More machines for the workshop:
WrDNB5z.png

iUfDJW0.png

Left: 3x Macerators for various crafting jobs
Middle: Industrial Centrifuge and Industrial Electrolyzer(With advanced regulators to prevent having part of ingredients being stuck in machines) for crafting jobs.
Right: 4x Induction Furnaces for crafting jobs, ingot smelting and keeping stock of glass, charcoal and the likes.

lb5jfP0.png

Industrial Blast Furnaces:
ql7InMY.png

4 Industrial Blast furnaces on the same multiblock.
One on the front for crafting jobs. Overclocked and transformer upgraded with its own MFSU buffer to handle Tungstensteel. The MFSU is only being fed 512EU/t to limit the power draw on the network at any given time. The MFSU will deliver the 2048EU/t needed from its buffer during the short time it will be smelting Tungstensteel(the only item that uses that much power).
The other 3 furnaces are also overclocked and powered from a 512eu/t line. Items are fed to them from the 2 routers (through a hidden barrel chain). One router inserts random low priority items into the upper slot(atm only aluminium dust), while the other inserts higher priority items to be smelted into the lower slots(this works since the furnace will always smelt items from the lower slots first).

TiCo smeltery:
JJEr6fU.png

Had to set up a TiCo smeltery again(had it packed away ever since I moved from the starter cave) due to needing Blank Cast(drawbridges) and Clear Glass. Set it up to automatically craft both on call from the ME network.

Factorization:
jjbMUNl.png

As you might have noticed I like Routers :p And when making so many I ran out of Blank Logic Matrix. So decided to think up a way to automate making them. Wasn't so easy as I had thought ;) Ok it might have been if I didn't insist on using all 5 vacant slots in the Crystalizer at all times. But managed to rig up this that keeps a constant 64 Matrix in store, crafting 5 at the time.

Also as a bit of a gimmick set up the Lacerator:
hN7rwaZ.png

Purely as a means for doubling(2.5 with washing the ore and the Slag furnace) Dark Iron Ore. I don't need it, but what the heck, I had the charge available. Which btw I generated with the Steam Turbine with steam syphoned off the BigReactor turbine setup through ME Extracells.

And oh yeah, I talked about that landing pad earlier. Think I came up with something simple and decent:
zAys2CK.png

Hooks directly in with the elevator down to the main hub. Now I just need to block off those holes in the windows I have been using until now, since I keep using those out of habit ;)

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
There a reason I love the portable hole wand focus... who needs a door? That said, that landing pad looks very simple and effective indeed ;)

And ye, Blank Casts are the main reason I still have a smeltery too... I tend to use the easier to make Hardened Glass in place of Clear Glass, or much more commonly Botania's Managlass or Alfglass (neither of which is in 1.6 modpacks). I don't use them often enough to warrent automating it past the lava though.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
And ye, Blank Casts are the main reason I still have a smeltery too... I tend to use the easier to make Hardened Glass in place of Clear Glass, or much more commonly Botania's Managlass or Alfglass (neither of which is in 1.6 modpacks). I don't use them often enough to warrent automating it past the lava though.
Yeah I haven't been using it often either. I have been getting by with what I had from the smeltery at the starter cave. But every now and then I use it for when I need connected textures glass. I like it because it uses the exact same texture as vanilla glass with Soartex, except it is connected textures. Gives possibilities when building.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Smeltery is easy to automate with just the MFR lava fab, which means it basically runs on power.

Also your Blast furnace pictures aren't working for me.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Smeltery is easy to automate with just the MFR lava fab, which means it basically runs on power.

Also your Blast furnace pictures aren't working for me.
So far I have just been getting lava from a pump in the nether. Been meaning to change over to bees but just not gotten around to it yet.
But the pump(BC) have only emptied out 2 layers and I got 4k buckets of lava in storage from it and 10k Obsidian made from it. So that along is probably going to last a long time :p

And Imgur sometimes bugs out. Try and force reload the page.