rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yup, there it goes. Ah. I try hard not to pump the nether any more. Admittedly, once you have a tree farm running for infinite charcoal. It doesn't really make that much difference.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yup, there it goes. Ah. I try hard not to pump the nether any more. Admittedly, once you have a tree farm running for infinite charcoal. It doesn't really make that much difference.
I try not to rely on it for power(unless I produce it somehow myself). This was more a matter of needing a bucket of lava for obsidian or the odd crafting recipe. But getting myself some Demonic bees is high on the list so I can unload the nether. It is not a huge drain on my PC, but every little help.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Smeltery not withstanding, I haven't used lava for power since 1.4.6. But those crafting recipes are always a pain. I usually have a Portable Tank that I fill with Lava, upgrading it as I go. Unless I'm doing the recipe multiple times, then I use a Cyclic Assembler.

You're right though, chunk loading the nether is just asking for trouble. The only chunk loaders I have are my railway, and the quarry at the end of it, and even that taxes my system. Finally figured out limiter tracks though, so now my train stops infinitely looping on the Wye track.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Spend a lot of time fixing up the Atrium(the large disc building):
RjWt60T.png

I hooked it up with a TC Arcane Levitator lifts down from above and down to the bee lab(the black/white towers).

Not only gave it a makeover on the outside, but also inside:
jvNqG9L.png

The Minecart station and main line:
7ZjlExn.png

Mystcraft portal hub:
456LDvU.png

(in the middle there is a tunnel leading to a Openblocks elevator leading up into the main base or up to landing pad)

And thereby belonging Mystcraft workspace:
SQaXYRt.png

Looks a little sad atm, will have to work on that.

The main feature of the Atrium is however the garden:
gC6JoNJ.png

L3kETIC.png

SK43VO5.png

I need to populate the garden with a lot of flowers, bushes etc. But need to go find some more first(or get some bees going so they can pollinate some).

Up near the roof I made a little café area:
pAbEiNX.png

QitKTRC.png

BTph8Ax.png

Back up in the main base I also spend a bit of time giving the corridors/staircases/elevators a work over:
icdhy2N.png

1pUPyfW.png

I colour coded the levels to easier navigate them a bit(have 5 and 7 floors on the two main Openblocks elevator shafts, so sometimes get a bit confused where I am and which floor they meet up on :p)

I tried using this colour coding throughout more of the base:
0KD3AI9.png

Not sure if it works. Will have to live with it for a while to see.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Mystcraft does look a little sad. I always like to stick it in an area with nice wood accents. And usually one of the awesome Bibliocraft Desk lamps. A nice piston door, even with draw bridges, I find a piston door to look more awesome. I usually do a set of four glass blocks, usually one of the edged ones from Chisel and make them retract as I step on a pressure plate.

I did one in a Horizons world I had that got corrupted that would flip on a project red lamp when I came in, and then turn it off when I left.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Little update on my ME storage(mostly because I had to explain it in another thread. Thought I might as well do it here and hit two birds with one stone).

The storage setup is ofc still based on this principle: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...guide-collection-etc.42664/page-2#post-587528

Slowly filling in more and more ME drives:
PqZQkm6.png

ZbjAESH.png

All the discs in the ME drives are preformatted and the majority are "ME Block Container"'s from Extra Cells(cheap large storage for single type of items).

Btw, really getting to love the ME IO port. When having to create a new storage disk and moving all the items in the network to it, it is amazing. Really handy for moving items both into and out of network.

All the non-preformatted stuff ends up here:
3Usq0fO.png

Using ME chests so it is easier to get an overview of contents and to see which items maybe need a new preformatted disk(or have overflowed its existing disk and needs to be added to item destruction setup).

Reactions: Padfoote

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Another little update:
I occasionally need different kinds of wood in decent amounts(or just the comfort of having it available at all times), yet not in a quantity that warrants setting up a farm for each specific type of wood full time. So have been thinking about how I could maybe "time share" a farm for different types of wood. I came up with this:
vBVyIUJ.png

Nothing special above ground. Just normal MFR harvesters(Random things Advanced Item collectors on the ME Interfaces to pick up stray saplings(to annoy me less when I come around with my Coin of fortune and hoover up everything laying around)).

Below it is a bit more complex than usual however:
Planters being restocked by Logistic Pipes from 2x chests:
XG5fdEr.png

Now this is where the "magic" happens:
lKSnITG.png

This modular contraption(2 modules shown) handles 6 different pairs of wood/saplings. When the stock of a monitored wood drops below set limit the Level emitter activates the ME export bus and deactivates the ME import bus, resulting in saplings corresponding to that type of wood getting exported to the chest. Logistic pipes then stocks the planters with the saplings.

When wood levels rises above set levels again(when harvesters cut down trees) the redstone signal reverses the ME export and import bus states and removes all the saplings of the type in question from the chest(leaving no more for the planters to be restocked from). Production of that type of wood then stops.

Result is that this single farm setup(ok double setup due to shape of the farm area) can handle 6 types of wood and keep them all in stock.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Another little update:
I occasionally need different kinds of wood in decent amounts(or just the comfort of having it available at all times), yet not in a quantity that warrants setting up a farm for each specific type of wood full time. So have been thinking about how I could maybe "time share" a farm for different types of wood. I came up with this:
vBVyIUJ.png

Nothing special above ground. Just normal MFR harvesters(Random things Advanced Item collectors on the ME Interfaces to pick up stray saplings(to annoy me less when I come around with my Coin of fortune and hoover up everything laying around)).

Below it is a bit more complex than usual however:
Planters being restocked by Logistic Pipes from 2x chests:
XG5fdEr.png

Now this is where the "magic" happens:
lKSnITG.png

This modular contraption(2 modules shown) handles 6 different pairs of wood/saplings. When the stock of a monitored wood drops below set limit the Level emitter activates the ME export bus and deactivates the ME import bus, resulting in saplings corresponding to that type of wood getting exported to the chest. Logistic pipes then stocks the planters with the saplings.

When wood levels rises above set levels again(when harvesters cut down trees) the redstone signal reverses the ME export and import bus states and removes all the saplings of the type in question from the chest(leaving no more for the planters to be restocked from). Production of that type of wood then stops.

Result is that this single farm setup(ok double setup due to shape of the farm area) can handle 6 types of wood and keep them all in stock.
Had a bit of a re-evaluation of this setup and when I discovered that Logistic pipes can be controlled by BC pipe Gates(Oooh the possibilities!) it all fell into place in a much much simpler setup:

hyeCBzx.png

The ME interfaces are set to stock the Saplings. EDIT: The Interfaces do ofc not need to be set to export the saplings, the Provider pipes tap directly in to the ME network!.
Each Provider Logistic Pipe is set to provide each their own sapling. On each pipe is an Iron AND Gate set to: Redstone signal->Disable Pipe. This means that whenever there is enough wood in the network the Provider pipe is disabled and no longer restocks the Planters. Super simple compared to previous setup :p

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Very clever. I always used multiple planters controlled by level emitters. If the stock was above the limit, the planter just shut off.

Awesome use of BC Gates.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
About high time to do something about the bunker entrance(what used to be my starter cave):
SB41l9Z.png

Garage and security/lift operator booth(with a minecart station):
feOXdM0.png

It is all automated with Drawbridges, Entity detector and lots of Project Red Logic gates(NOT gates, Multiplexer, Repeaters) to ensure the proper sequence of motions. But I can't really properly describe that with pictures so here is a thread first: A video :p

Don't mind the slightly low fps. Not exactly having the best performance ingame any more :p

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That's awesome. Are those microblocks? Or RC wall posts?
RC "Iron Wall"s yeah. If you look carefully you can see they connect with the walls to the gate(couldn't be helped) :p
Needed something that could be deployed by the drawbridges. Was using IC2 Iron Fences first, but they were a bit too skinny.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
That door puts my door to shame. I still feel Buildcraft as a whole is underrated in what it can do, especially in the case of it's gates, I'm glad you found a good use for them. They even more flexible in 1.7, as you could possibly have 6 gates on a single pipe. (not that it'd be useful if it's a pipe inserting or extracting items to anything). Add in Logistics Pipes to the mix, and you have one very potent logistcal network, arguably much more powerful than AE. (Although AE still trumps everything in terms of convenient mass-storage)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I still feel Buildcraft as a whole is underrated in what it can do, especially in the case of it's gates, I'm glad you found a good use for them. They even more flexible in 1.7, as you could possibly have 6 gates on a single pipe. (not that it'd be useful if it's a pipe inserting or extracting items to anything bar robots). Add in Logistics Pipes to the mix, and you have one very potent logistcal network, arguably much more powerful than AE. (Although AE still trumps everything in terms of convenient mass-storage)
BC pipes < 1.7 might be clunky and inconvenient, but the Gate system is truly amazing indeed. It always has been. I wish there were more machines that had conditions for it and there were more situations to use it. And this connection to LP might be just what I needed.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
About high time to do something about the bunker entrance(what used to be my starter cave):
SB41l9Z.png

Garage and security/lift operator booth(with a minecart station):
feOXdM0.png

It is all automated with Drawbridges, Entity detector and lots of Project Red Logic gates(NOT gates, Multiplexer, Repeaters) to ensure the proper sequence of motions. But I can't really properly describe that with pictures so here is a thread first: A video :p

Don't mind the slightly low fps. Not exactly having the best performance ingame any more :p

and here's a screenshot from my current base, I must say I'm pretty proud of this one.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I still find that connecting an AE system to a logisitics pipe system is the best of both worlds, except for annoying inability have LP auto-craft with AE. Now I really want to know what else I can do with LP and BC gates.

I didn't noticed them connecting to the gate, but now that I see it, it actually makes sense. The gate is simply interlocking with the bars along the back. With shock absorbers. Yeah, that works...

Azkeel

Jul 29, 2019
Little update on my ME storage(mostly because I had to explain it in another thread. Thought I might as well do it here and hit two birds with one stone).

The storage setup is ofc still based on this principle: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...guide-collection-etc.42664/page-2#post-587528

Slowly filling in more and more ME drives:

ZbjAESH.png

All the discs in the ME drives are preformatted and the majority are "ME Block Container"'s from Extra Cells(cheap large storage for single type of items).

Btw, really getting to love the ME IO port. When having to create a new storage disk and moving all the items in the network to it, it is amazing. Really handy for moving items both into and out of network.

All the non-preformatted stuff ends up here:

Using ME chests so it is easier to get an overview of contents and to see which items maybe need a new preformatted disk(or have overflowed its existing disk and needs to be added to item destruction setup).

Great looking base :)

What kind of signs are these ?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Think I found and corrected a bug in my BigReactor steam reactor regulator script:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-24#post-836928
Noticed on several occasions that it had gone into a negative feedback cycle and kept reducing the control rods resulting in them being set to 0. Think this was caused by small fluctuations in steam production during the adjustments and I corrected the code take that into account(basically just making sure that small fluctuations does not leave it trying to reach an unobtainable goal). Specially seen this happen often recently since I set up the steam syphon to the Factorization setups.

Hope this fixes the issue, but I will keep taps on the issue. Also tweaked the code a bit in places. So if anyone is using it, it might be a good idea to update the script.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Thats really cool how you angled the Nuclear control signs to be flush with your carpenters slopes. I might have to start using IC2 again just for those. Also, Ive been playing with AE for a long time now which I always try to keep nice and orderly. Over time my system has become very close to yours with ME chests for unsorted items and all that. But your system is better and Im going to copy it from now on.