rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Decided to move all ore processing(Both existing Gregtech and future Mekanism) to the abyssal base. In that respect I have been working on the underwater base to get it ready for this. Once again I have decided to torture myself with a Carpenter's blocks nightmare(now underwater):
chl0MDl.png

(taken with nightvision in the waters edge at night to get such a clear image. The water is in fact quite dark at that depth).
Still a lot of work to do. Takes ages with all those slopes while being handicapped by being in the water. But prefer to get the main base structure done before setting in machinery. Could be a mess if I by accident floods the place and machines(Gregtech) blows up.

Slightly annoyed about the carpenters blocks performance underwater:
oYi6EAy.png

The feature of the water flowing into adjacent blocks space only works on the surface layers. So the whole thing looks quite messy while in the water. But luckily seeing it from behind glass or from outside the water removes the problem.

Also did a bit more work on the base back home:
bf86qrv.png

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
That last screenshot is really something. Cant wait to see what you do with Mekanism, its way more aesthetically pleasing than any other tech mod IMO.

Skvapter

Jul 29, 2019
Rhaychen, I'm sure you're familiar with any rumors around town but just wanted to make sure just in case, but aren't C.Blocks supposed to be causing block lag right now? just curious for you are your world's sake, and you know, my own sake before I go all out crazy C.Block buildings.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Rhaychen, I'm sure you're familiar with any rumors around town but just wanted to make sure just in case, but aren't C.Blocks supposed to be causing block lag right now? just curious for you are your world's sake, and you know, my own sake before I go all out crazy C.Block buildings.
Everything takes resources to render and keep track of. And yes stuff like microblocks, carpenter's blocks etc. have more complex shapes and carry more information than normal blocks. But this can in my experience completely be completely ignored in comparison to the resources it takes to render and keep track of machines and other complex structures. Even with such an extended use as I have I would judge the resource usage of carpenter's blocks etc. to be below 1/1000th of that of machines etc.

Take for example the underwater base I am building on atm. There are thousands of carpenters blocks there already. But I get the exact same fps there as any other place out in the ocean. It is only when I go back to main base with all the machines that my fps drops significantly.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
and here I am deleting world after world just because I couldn't find a good spot in my world...

I really love Biome's o Plenty, but I'm already bad at building and finding a good spot, and with BoP generation turned on it's even harder for me...

Skvapter

Jul 29, 2019
and here I am deleting world after world just because I couldn't find a good spot in my world...

I really love Biome's o Plenty, but I'm already bad at building and finding a good spot, and with BoP generation turned on it's even harder for me...

Try Highlands and ATG (I think it's abbreviated ATG, heck, can't remember.) They're great at generating terrain to your liking, of course, after some config tweaking ;)
If I'm not mistaken I think Rhn uses ATG.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Sadly having particular tastes about base building spots kinda forces you to try a lot of spawns. I always go through 10+ where I fly around in creative a lot before finding the right one.

Try Highlands and ATG (I think it's abbreviated ATG, heck, can't remember.) They're great at generating terrain to your liking, of course, after some config tweaking ;)
If I'm not mistaken I think Rhn uses ATG.
Yeah BoP+Highlands and ATG as terrain generator.

Reactions: Skvapter

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Ive stopped using biome mods due to the stress it puts on my computer. Vanilla terrain isnt so bad really. And knowing that everywhere else looks the same makes it easy to choose base locations. The custom map Eldaria is better than any randomly generated terrain, I use that from time to time.

NoPain9

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly having particular tastes about base building spots kinda forces you to try a lot of spawns. I always go through 10+ where I fly around in creative a lot before finding the right one.

Yeah BoP+Highlands and ATG as terrain generator.

Wait you can use BoP and Highlands and ATG together? I thought you could only 'enable' one in the world selection screen ?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

I could try that out, though I might find it cheaty to know some world generation when flying around
though I might aswell generate the world again using the same seed and some world generation should be randomized again

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
That last screenshot is really something. Cant wait to see what you do with Mekanism, its way more aesthetically pleasing than any other tech mod IMO.

There one particular multiblock in Mekanism which I find extremely ugly, and it's required for x4 ore (I think, I don't tend to use Mekanism, for reasons I'd rather not litter this topic with.) Knowing rhn though, he'll find a way to make it fit in.

More on topic, that underwater base looks pretty awesome now, shame it can be a little hard to take pictures of underwater areas, but I think you've hit it right here.

I know the feeling about where to build, there one biome I love to live in, simply due to me liking the aesthetics of the foliage (and grass) colour, it's just a nice side effect I get the occasional Pech visitor, and that I get plenty of greatwood and silverwood. I am of course talking about Thaumcraft's Magical Forest.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Wait you can use BoP and Highlands and ATG together? I thought you could only 'enable' one in the world selection screen ?
You can only have one terrain generator. But you can(with the correct configs) still have that terrain generator use the biomes of the other mods. So ATG do its terrain thing and populate it with vanilla, BoP and Highland biomes.

I could try that out, though I might find it cheaty to know some world generation when flying around
though I might aswell generate the world again using the same seed and some world generation should be randomized again
Yeah I tend to just find the seed and then redo it for when I have decided. Then stuff like villages, taint, PR volcanos, dungeons etc. will not be in the same places.

More on topic, that underwater base looks pretty awesome now, shame it can be a little hard to take pictures of underwater areas, but I think you've hit it right here.
I hope it will work out nicely once I add some atmospheric lights to the structure and seabed. It is not so bad already:
7und8dl.png

Seen from inside on of the walkways leading from one habitat to another.
But yeah it works better in reality than on the picture.

Reactions: Padfoote

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
There one particular multiblock in Mekanism which I find extremely ugly, and it's required for x4 ore (I think, I don't tend to use Mekanism, for reasons I'd rather not litter this topic with.) Knowing rhn though, he'll find a way to make it fit in.

You must be talking about the salination plant. I didnt like it either at first but black makes the orange pop.
8_zps9c68e5ec.png

Reactions: Padfoote and rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Took a little trip to the Twilight Forest and brought back some friends to brighten up the Atrium:
YSmcnkk.png

Thou shall not pass!
zhFCH86.png

arwaAMU.png

Made some Paving Stone of Warding to keep them in the garden area. Else they would eventually wander into the portals or onto the minecart track. Cannot really do anything about the birds(the first one already died somehow, found a feather:confused:), but rest seem to be corralled properly. Not exactly subtle with the Paving stones, but doubt anything can be done about that.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You must be talking about the salination plant. I didnt like it either at first but black makes the orange pop.
8_zps9c68e5ec.png
I am not entirely sure what to do about the Salination Plant yet. Wanted to do it all on the underwater base, but this obviously cant go there due to needing sunlight. Haven't really been able to think up a nice spot for it yet.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah those birds are perfect for the atrium. Too bad theres no fish in TPPI. A Dr Zharks' + Fossil/archaeology (the dinosaur breeding mod) zoo build is something Ive wanted to do for so long.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I am not entirely sure what to do about the Salination Plant yet. Wanted to do it all on the underwater base, but this obviously cant go there due to needing sunlight. Haven't really been able to think up a nice spot for it yet.

With a steady supply of salt, you can skip the salination plant fyi.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
With a steady supply of salt, you can skip the salination plant fyi.
Yeah, but I kinda want to do the Salination plant setup after having looked at it. I just find it baffling that it can only be "powered" by solar. Why not just let us hook it up to a power conduit and let us choose our self?

Reactions: epidemia78

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism is like a puzzle. Strict sidedness on machines and all that. For people who want things to look orderly, its quite a challenge.

NoPain9

Jul 29, 2019
You can only have one terrain generator. But you can(with the correct configs) still have that terrain generator use the biomes of the other mods. So ATG do its terrain thing and populate it with vanilla, BoP and Highland biomes.

I need to know these things haha xD. But nice to hear. Need to figure it out tomorrow I think cause most worlds I find with just BoP are okay but... not what I want.