rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
Not really feeling like I am getting much done. Mostly just pottering around with small things and thinking out layouts of new rooms etc. Really need to get some things done.

If that's the case then my minecrafting is, uh, comatose? lol
That is an awesome base! I like the use of circular buildings and angular walls and glass. It has inspired me to pick up my pace to a slow crawl.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
What if you fill the planter using ME fuzzy export buses sending the mana beans?
I was using Fuzzy export bus. The problem is just that the planter will only plant from the first slot of available seeds(beans). So having a lot of random beans in the planter did nothing. I then tried using the Planters filters to set each type of bean to cover a separate area, but then it it was a problem of the areas not being equally in size and having to balance the chance of harvesting the essence of beans to the size of the areas... Nightmare.

I suppose if you could make a LP pipe supply the planter with random 1 bean all the time, it might work. But then again, golems just work with no fuzz.

Yeah, but his issue is that he have been planting too many of the same type of beans, he want the planting to be more random than it has been.
Aaaaaah I get it, hmmm... A few solutions present themselves but none would work as well as golems. Carry on;)
Yeah the problem was not that it didn't work with planting. The problem is that it would completely use up all the beans being planted and leave no left of that essentia.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Jealous @rhn?
JCm608O.png

:p

Its coming together nicely:
Zn0PrDU.png

(there is more if I scroll down, 58 kinds of essentia)

Storage:
j8li5hy.png

In order for the mana beans to "overflow" without blocking entry for other kinds of beans I had to make separate disks for each type. Using the cheap "ME block containers" from Extra Cells (Why did I not know of them before??? :p)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
@rhn, what are the catwalk railings made out of in your mana-bean farm picture?
It is "Strengthened Glass" microblocks from Railcraft. The blocks can be dyed but the microblocks always default to the light grey.
It is honestly one of my favourite materials. The textures(Soartex I know) are just so nice. They also form connected textures vertically like on the RC tanks.
I used them a lot for the glass doors in the last world.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It is "Strengthened Glass" microblocks from Railcraft. The blocks can be dyed but the microblocks always default to the light grey.
It is honestly one of my favourite materials. The textures(Soartex I know) are just so nice. They also form connected textures vertically like on the RC tanks.
I used them a lot for the glass doors in the last world.
Agreed, they're beautiful. Thanks.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
rhn, could you provide advice? I have a large underground room serving as a steam operations facility. It has a maximum-sized RC Steel Tank to hold and buffer steam, with various sizes and types of Boilers connected directly to it.

I'd like options for a bright texture wall block. I tried a whiteish chiseled cobbledstone, but it created a blinding checkerboard pattern. I'm thinking I need to stick to a connected texture. What's a nice bright block you use in "high tech industrial"-type facilities?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
rhn, could you provide advice? I have a large underground room serving as a steam operations facility. It has a maximum-sized RC Steel Tank to hold and buffer steam, with various sizes and types of Boilers connected directly to it.

I'd like options for a bright texture wall block. I tried a whiteish chiseled cobbledstone, but it created a blinding checkerboard pattern. I'm thinking I need to stick to a connected texture. What's a nice bright block you use in "high tech industrial"-type facilities?
You know, I am actually having the same problem atm.

I am using marble(I want to find something to match in with the marble too) atm. for the corridors and habitation areas, but I want a distinctly different looks for the labs, storage areas and workshops.

I have been thinking about if PR still got those large Marble bricks like RP2 had. Those could look like panelling I guess. But would like something less white too. Maybe Quarried stone(whatever the smelted version is called). It doesn't do connected textures, but it makes tiles with small bevelled edges that can look quite nice for some things like floors/ceilings specially.

I think one of my next project will be to make a new "materials showroom" to test things out. But it might be a bit slow in the making. Just realised that Dragon Age Inquisition is out in 9 days and I had planned to finish a DA:O save before then :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You know, I am actually having the same problem atm.

I am using marble(I want to find something to match in with the marble too) atm. for the corridors and habitation areas, but I want a distinctly different looks for the labs, storage areas and workshops.

I have been thinking about if PR still got those large Marble bricks like RP2 had. Those could look like panelling I guess. But would like something less white too. Maybe Quarried stone(whatever the smelted version is called). It doesn't do connected textures, but it makes tiles with small bevelled edges that can look quite nice for some things like floors/ceilings specially.

I think one of my next project will be to make a new "materials showroom" to test things out. But it might be a bit slow in the making. Just realised that Dragon Age Inquisition is out in 9 days and I had planned to finish a DA:O save before then :p
I was thinking about your materials-showrooms last night; its the first time I'd seen such a thing (you showed a pic of one in your last world). I might do the same.

I agree that a bevelled-edge would look best. It gives the impression of replaceable panels in case of damage or access-requirements.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I was thinking about your materials-showrooms last night; its the first time I'd seen such a thing (you showed a pic of one in your last world). I might do the same.

I agree that a bevelled-edge would look best. It gives the impression of replaceable panels in case of damage or access-requirements.
Yeah, you could even consider doing a mix of blocks, adding in something like Block of Iron(or other metal blocks, Chisel factory blocks etc.) to other materials to give it a techy feel. Like you could have something like a marble frame/pillar/load-bearing structure and then fill them in with another material that is more techy. Or since I have GT I will consider using the many Machine blocks it offers as well(as well as a few cosmetic stuff).

Reactions: Pyure

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have been playing around a bit with making a new materials showroom and might actually have found something. Something as simple as Thermal Expansion metal storage blocks might be exactly what we are looking for. Tin, Lead and Silver in particular.
I have usually never really considered these due to being cheap about the materials, but they look great with Soartex:
s7W2Yyv.png

Left to right: TE: Silver, Lead, Copper and Tin, TiCo Aluminum, MC gold and Iron.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Going a bit nuts I think.
The locations for major structure of the bunker(what is planned to house main tech/ME/power etc.) is of course occupied by one or more gigantic nodes of GT Black Granite. I have nothing against this material and think it is cool that mods replace Stone with different kinds of building materials. But this Black Granite is SO dark that I keep finding myself so disoriented that I don't know what is up and down, cant tell blocks apart and for the most part have to navigate by the F7 light overlays :p Torches don't really do a hell of a lot unless you completely light up the whole area, and even so it can still be hard to spot edges :p

OlhlCGt.png

AWyhOcc.png

Reactions: Pyure and Hazard

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Sneak peek:
Contractors came in and poured the concrete for the new indoor swimming pool:
2HqQpCN.png

Ok it is not a swimming pool, but what will eventually be my nuclear power plant :p Tried to base it as much as possible on RL power plants.
I intend to pack a whole lot of IC2 nuclear reactors running Uranium down into one of the pits(just the simple 100EU/t single block setups I used last). The probably some MOX setups into the other pits(come to think of it a MOX reactor would probably evaporate the water, hmm).

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Im interested to see what you can do with Mekanism and Big Reactors. In my last world I set up a mek 5x ore processing system which takes up a huge amount of space and built a factory around it which turned out great. I made a thread about the world somewhere if you want to see. Anyway, that rate of ingot output would be very helpful to you if you plan to build with metal blocks. Also, you could use the mek digital miner to mine up and replace all of that black granite with something else. Its too cheaty to use for quarrying purposes though IMO.

And it always surprises me how up to date with all the mods Soartex is. I wish packs like John Smith were half as complete, its more my cup of tea.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Im interested to see what you can do with Mekanism and Big Reactors. In my last world I set up a mek 5x ore processing system which takes up a huge amount of space and built a factory around it which turned out great. I made a thread about the world somewhere if you want to see. Anyway, that rate of ingot output would be very helpful to you if you plan to build with metal blocks. Also, you could use the mek digital miner to mine up and replace all of that black granite with something else. Its too cheaty to use for quarrying purposes though IMO.

And it always surprises me how up to date with all the mods Soartex is. I wish packs like John Smith were half as complete, its more my cup of tea.
rhn, this is so freakin awesome looking. Good job.