Lets See Some Bases! Give Us a Tour!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks dude my only complaint is my brick workshop, doesnt look very farmy to me but oh well
Could try some stone or wood corner pillars or something. So it become something like this instead:
bindingsv_rk_smuk.jpg

Reactions: SatanicSanta

QuantumCookies

Jul 29, 2019
I just read this entire thread from the start to here...whoa.

I love this thread! There are some serious badasses here who really know what they're doing :)

I myself am somewhat new to FTB, and haven't played very much yet. Also my main computer is broken so I have nothing to post right now, sorry :(

However, my plan for the next world I start is this:
1. Aquire basic resources and locate build site
2. Build quarry and set up to dig 64x64 hole at the top of a mountain near a cliff
3. While waiting, aquire more resources such as wood and iron
4. Set up auto smelter to turn cobblestone into stone brick
5. Build base in the hole
6. Move in and build machines
7. Profit!

Is this a standard starting plan? I noticed a few of the bases here were in quarry holes, but not many.

I'm planning to use the Monster pack with a couple other mods as well, by the way :)

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
I just read this entire thread from the start to here...whoa.

I love this thread! There are some serious badasses here who really know what they're doing :)

I myself am somewhat new to FTB, and haven't played very much yet. Also my main computer is broken so I have nothing to post right now, sorry :(

However, my plan for the next world I start is this:
1. Aquire basic resources and locate build site
2. Build quarry and set up to dig 64x64 hole at the top of a mountain near a cliff
3. While waiting, aquire more resources such as wood and iron
4. Set up auto smelter to turn cobblestone into stone brick
5. Build base in the hole
6. Move in and build machines
7. Profit!

Is this a standard starting plan? I noticed a few of the bases here were in quarry holes, but not many.

I'm planning to use the Monster pack with a couple other mods as well, by the way :)

Nothing wrong with starting in a quarry hole. But instead of creating a system to smelt cobble, I highly recommend the Igneous Extruder. One bucket of lava and a constant source of water(Aqueous Accumulator) will provide you with an infinite source of smooth stone.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I actually ended my 1.4.7 base in a turtle quarry hole. I built my power production in the turtle holes I made for resources. I hung what I intended to be the power station off a cliff and then ended up living in that instead of the house I made. :p

QuantumCookies

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing wrong with starting in a quarry hole. But instead of creating a system to smelt cobble, I highly recommend the Igneous Extruder. One bucket of lava and a constant source of water(Aqueous Accumulator) will provide you with an infinite source of smooth stone.
Hmm...good idea. But why not just pipe it all into an electric furnace with solar panels? Otherwise it's just all that cobble going to waste.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Hmm...good idea. But why not just pipe it all into an electric furnace with solar panels? Otherwise it's just all that cobble going to waste.

True, but the igneous extruder saves on power and cables. Ultimately, you trade one requirement for another, and it all comes down to personal preference.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If all you're doing early on is cooking cobble, you don't even need cables. Just plop your solar directly on top of your E-furnace. True, it'll take longer, but you've probably got resources to gather while you wait anyway.

And now, for a marvel of modern modded minecraft, my compact rail factory:

Three Itemducts, two Autocrafting Tables, several pieces of Rednet cable. Combines to automatically craft rail beds and then track.

Rail ties are made in the carpenter, out of jungle wood harvested through the expedient of taking an MFR harvester into my jungle with a redstone energy cell and reinforced strongbox. Run the results through the sawmill for maximum planks, and then through the autocrafting tables for slabs, then into the carpenter. Eventually it'll be a real factory instead of being done manually, but for now it works.

QuantumCookies

Jul 29, 2019
If all you're doing early on is cooking cobble, you don't even need cables. Just plop your solar directly on top of your E-furnace. True, it'll take longer, but you've probably got resources to gather while you wait anyway.

Thats actually what I was planning :) And yes, I will need a ton of resources, namely wood, glass, and magic tallow for candles because of the design of the base (think Duncan's castle from the Yogscast)

My logic for not using an igneous extruder is this: it's just another machine to build, and solar power is for free, so it's much more efficient. Plus I would have to gather a ton of lava to make the 30+ stacks of stone brick I need.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Smooth Stone only consumes Water, not Lava. And the Extruder doesn't use power at all. Still, it's probably not something to build until after you've finished turtles.

Reactions: Dark0_0firE