i2yA3FqobUpTx.jpg

interior...
iF5pyxEoiU6D6.png

Aaaaand done... Its finished
iBZD3pEBkxDjI.jpg

As usual more in my topic.

h0gtitties

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of nice builds in this thread. Very inspiring. I thought I would share my own base from Monster 1.0.1 beta mod pack. This is a survival built base so obviously it has many flaws. I thought it was coming along nicely. Unfortunately I could not finish the build before the server reset, but I got pretty far along though. I would have liked to have finished decorating the inside but what can you do right. This was my largest base to date that actually looked good.

NOTE: We were able to make a mystcraft age with nether quartz crystal formations so getting all the quarts was pretty easy. Without it collecting this much quarts would be difficult.

HShezWh.png

Back of the house with and patio as seen from behind the water feature.

2xErE1x.png

Shot of the gazebo on the side of the house.

wY3dWVx.png

Nice overview shot of the back patio area.

fbSGinM.png

Roof treatment, some machines, etc. Not the best setup, but I had planned to change it later.

9IegvOE.png

Basement area used the Chisel mod a lot. 6 core Big reactor made more power than I could use.

iTRea9x.png

This is an early shot of my Thaumcraft Alter. I later changed it up adding crystals, heads and lots of additional paraphernalia.

MwO9mVh.png

Wide shot from out front.

More pictures can be found in my Imgur gallery here if your interested in seeing more: http://imgur.com/a/403he

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Lots of nice builds in this thread. Very inspiring. I thought I would share my own base from Monster 1.0.1 beta mod pack. This is a survival built base so obviously it has many flaws. I thought it was coming along nicely. Unfortunately I could not finish the build before the server reset, but I got pretty far along though. I would have liked to have finished decorating the inside but what can you do right. This was my largest base to date that actually looked good.

NOTE: We were able to make a mystcraft age with nether quartz crystal formations so getting all the quarts was pretty easy. Without it collecting this much quarts would be difficult.

HShezWh.png

2xErE1x.png

wY3dWVx.png

fbSGinM.png

Roof treatment, some machines, etc. Not the best setup, but I had planned to change it later.

9IegvOE.png

Basement area used the Chisel mod a lot. 6 core Big reactor made more power than I could use.

iTRea9x.png

This is an early shot of my Thaumcraft Alter. I later changed it up adding crystals, heads and lots of additional paraphernalia.

MwO9mVh.png

More pictures can be found in my Imgur gallery here if your interested in seeing more: http://imgur.com/a/403he
It's brilliant, especially on the interior, although I feel like it needs some darker highlights on the exterior.

Reactions: Padfoote

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

HShezWh.png

2xErE1x.png

wY3dWVx.png

fbSGinM.png

9IegvOE.png

iTRea9x.png

MwO9mVh.png

Looks very nice! I really like the style. Its rare to see such detail.

But one thing I would suggest for a future build. If you have access to it, you should try out microblocks. I personally cringe just a tiny bit when I see stuff like buttons or asymmetric use of stairs(What you are forced to do in vanilla). With your skills and aesthetic eye you could make it truly amazing with the use of microblocks! You can make pillars of varying thickness out of the same material for example instead of having to resort to what looks like Structure pipe.
Example:
K0ij3sY.png

Btw, love the lawn. Had to ponder a bit over how you did that lol :p

QuantumCookies

Jul 29, 2019

HShezWh.png

2xErE1x.png

wY3dWVx.png

fbSGinM.png

9IegvOE.png

iTRea9x.png

MwO9mVh.png

Wow! I love the exterior design with the sandstone. You really made good use of the chisel mod. The ceilings look amazing.

I don't really love the floor in the machine room though, it looks kinda like gravel. Otherwise it looks great! (The patio is especially cool ;))

P.S. It's actually spelled "quartz"

h0gtitties

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the feedback. @rhn, Great feedback on the microblocks. I never really used them except for covers, and panels. I will look into adding more details with them in the future. @QuantumCookies, thanks! The mowed grass was made with topiary grass, and green wool. I cant take credit for the wool idea of course, others have done it in the past. It is a nice polished look IMO. @the_j485, thanks for the input as well. You might like my new base more.

On that topic, I thought I would post some Work In Progress shots of my current base. It's in the direwolf20 mod pack, and it too was built in survival.

LN1nTWn.png

Front entrance. Hate that my bee's are right in the front, but I am currently working on a bee room. Open to suggestions on it. The roof is a little derpy. I am not in love with it but it keeps the rain out. Trying to think of a better design. Originally tried colored stained glass (green and purple) but felt it looked a little too much like a carnival tent. Note the spruce beams between the columns. They are actually qCraft observer dependent blocks that are glass when viewed from the inside.

fbJ0pWx.png

My Mana Bean farm with the base in the background. Got the idea from direwolf20 of course. I just made it look a little more fancy :D

TP8PHBe.png

Thaumcraft area. Note that the spruce wood logs are now glass blocks. Thats qCraft's observer dependent blocks in action.

QgcX17x.png

I literally just started this project. It's a High pressure steam boiler connected to 12 industrial steam engines. Under the floor is a bank of 8 resonant energy cells and a power tesseract. I am going to change this up more. I don't like the window detailing. Think I am going to try microblocks out on this.

lPgdrnj.png

my mostly functional, not a lot of design, WIP greenhouse. Built it mostly to keep the creepers out. It's a little gray for my liking, but I plan to move it later and doll it up then.

qteQ71D.png

Small power plant for my dedicated Applied Energistics network. It's dedicated to just managing/automating the farm. The engines are accessed by a hidden elevator/room in the floor.

YtfHQeR.png

Not terribly interesting at the moment and looking for ideas on how to dress this room up.

gJFgDDA.png

I am quite proud of my Mystcraft book making ability so I thought I would throw this one in the mix. The biomes were chosen specifically for their resources, it was made as a flat world so it is easy to set up quarries, and the sky and fog colors were chosen specifically consisting of about 30 color and gradient pages. In this case greens and blues. Past ages have been purples, blues. I can post a basic roadmap for my book writing if anyone is interested in replicating what I have been able to create. The spawn hut sucks, but one of the other players is supposed to build something fancy in it's place.

As usual, more pics will be posted to my imgur album here as I progress: http://imgur.com/a/FVqo2

Ideas, suggestions all welcome.
Thanks

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
-Lot of stuff be gone-
Yeah I cant urge people enough to start using Microblocks. I am completely addicted to them. I haven't really used stairs for example since back in 1.4.7.
Here is a couple more examples:
cav2xCq.png

rgiTGX1.png

7xtFOPc.png

i0j8siX.png

And much much more:
http://imgur.com/a/dSMKv

I quite like the look of your greenhouse btw. In the colours scheme in that biome with the trees in the background it almost looks like a ruin. Try and put some moss/mossy stone and vines on it. Would look great!

And I am always looking for some inspiration for Mystcraft worlds. Thinking of moving away from the old flat desert quarry world and mix it up a bit. Particularly to get a mix of those Geostrata rocks from the different biomes in Monster. And not 100% comfortable with the new 1.6 syntax yet.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

h0gtitties

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome stuff @rhn, I especially liked the pathway over the water. I try to add components myself that are purely for aesthetics and not necessarily for function. Great base! that looks like 1.4.7 are you still on that pack or is this an older build?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Awesome stuff @rhn, I especially liked the pathway over the water. I try to add components myself that are purely for aesthetics and not necessarily for function. Great base! that looks like 1.4.7 are you still on that pack or is this an older build?
First image was from an old 1.4.7 DW20 server I was on(I was an idiot and never took any screenshots back then so its all I got from it :p). Rest is from my recent Unleashed world. I'm awaiting Monster to become stable before I start any new big projects, so not much new to show off :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ok this it not really a base, but thought I would share it anyway.

The main issue I have with building in modern/scifi style is that there are no doors available for it. All the doors in the FTB packs are rather medieval looking wooden or barred metal doors. So only thing left really is piston doors.

Another issue that bothered me was using pressure plates to open the doors. It looks bad and if you are in a hurry you sprint into the doors often before they open and loose your speed.

So when playing around in a Monster test world I came up with this little thing that I plan to try and use in my next build(its fairly simple and most of you probably figured it out already):

dZ46r48.png

xeBnIbt.png

Sticky pistons moving blocks to form a door, nothing new there. MFR rednet cable for redstone signal. But just underneath the door I placed a Random Things Entity Detector set to detect "Player". Project Red NOT Gate next to it to invert signal(pistons need signal to stay closed).
Entity detector setting:
kkReKpE.png

So as you might have guessed by now, automatic doors that open based on your proximity. Found that a radius of 4 is enough to open up before you slam into the door when sprinting with a pair of Boots of the Traveller. But you can increase the horizontal range to your liking, but you might end up with doors opening as you move around the room :p

4YSh1w0.png

Hint: I hid a Sound Muffler from Extra Utilities in the wall to reduce the noise from the pistons by 80%.
I used covers to hide the pistons and cables. Sadly none are forge microblock compatible so it the wall will take up 3 blocks in thickness, but it at least wont be 3 blocks thick. Should be able to replace the cables with Project Red "Red alloy wires" which are compatible with microblocks to reduce the thickened section of the wall by one block on either side.

Last edited:

h0gtitties

Jul 29, 2019
I had a nearly identical setup in my monster 1.0.1 beta world. The pack did not contain Project Red then so I had to use a rednet controller, but it essentially did they exact same thing. FWIW, If your going for an industrial look the Switches mod add's some attractive industrial looking switch panel buttons. I use an xor gate on my door so I can use it to toggle it open or closed from inside or outside. It's not automatic, but does look cool.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I like TiCo Drawbridges. Lets you open your doors up or down as well as side to side. Plus it can hide itself as any non-tile entity block I believe.

I've got an Advanced Drawbridge, setup to deploy a dirt block then a fence. That way I can leave the patio of my house without having to bother with a fence gate. Plus with the Advanced, you could have an eye-level window in it if you wanted.

Reactions: Padfoote

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
Ok this it not really a base, but thought I would share it anyway.

The main issue I have with building in modern/scifi style is that there are no doors available for it. All the doors in the FTB packs are rather medieval looking wooden or barred metal doors. So only thing left really is piston doors.

Another issue that bothered me was using pressure plates to open the doors. It looks bad and if you are in a hurry you sprint into the doors often before they open and loose your speed.

So when playing around in a Monster test world I came up with this little thing that I plan to try and use in my next build(its fairly simple and most of you probably figured it out already):
Yes i do use microblocks to hide door systems "inside" walls and will never ever use pressure plates after i discovered motion detectors from ICBM year ago. (what mod is Entity Detector?)
Right now i use even more complex door system thanks to RIM magic trics so i am able to include lights/RS/slopes or even mircoblocks in doors.
I had a nearly identical setup in my monster 1.0.1 beta world. The pack did not contain Project Red then so I had to use a rednet controller, but it essentially did they exact same thing. FWIW, If your going for an industrial look the Switches mod add's some attractive industrial looking switch panel buttons. I use an xor gate on my door so I can use it to toggle it open or closed from inside or outside. It's not automatic, but does look cool.
i love those switches! Thanks for sharing info that such mod exist!

I like TiCo Drawbridges. Lets you open your doors up or down as well as side to side. Plus it can hide itself as any non-tile entity block I believe.

I've got an Advanced Drawbridge, setup to deploy a dirt block then a fence. That way I can leave the patio of my house without having to bother with a fence gate. Plus with the Advanced, you could have an eye-level window in it if you wanted.
As TiCo is mostly "survival tool playground" i had no idea about such feature. Drawbridge sounds very interesting so thanks for sharing.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The look of a drawbridge is inconsequential. They contain two slots. The right slot is the deployed material. (Advanced Drawbridge has an Inventory button allowing you to put 16 individual items in, deployed in order.) The left slot is a camouflage slot, allowing you to put in a camouflage material of your choice. So if you don't want the clockwork look, you can plop in a stone brick block and it looks like stone bricks.

Reactions: Dark0_0firE