KingLemming speaks!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds interesting, though I suspect it will have a strong negative impact on BigReactor's popularity, seeing as a lot of people who use it do so because it is so forgiving of mistakes.
One example exists above me.

Here is another.
Big reactors currently fills the niche to provide nearly unlimited power with little to no effort late game in mainstream packs, of course its going to be popular as hell, since all the people with no idea how to anything can still copy a setup from Youtube with BR and make it work properly.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds interesting, though I suspect it will have a strong negative impact on BigReactor's popularity, seeing as a lot of people who use it do so because it is so forgiving of mistakes.

Here is another.
Depends, obviously, on whether the authors lean toward the punishment side, or if they decide that education and general usability are worthwhile goals.

I suspect the former, because it seems to be the going trend.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Here is another.
Big time agreed. I cannot imagine its going to go over well at all with the masses, although given precedents by the modder, it will likely be configurable.

There's probably an unfilled niche right now for something falling in between both extremes. Having a meltdown can be fun and a great learning experience if you can actually recover from it without just loading up a backup of your world.

Dunno how wide the appeal would be for that (it would appeal to me, shrug)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Which means it may as well not exist, given people's willingness and ability to use configs...

Actually some people (like me when I'm in the mood) like a challenge. I would not disable such an option as I feel it would 'lessen' the experience.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Plus, BR should have melt downs due to one reason. How many people built IC2 nuclear reactors in villages just to force them to explode? Go on, raise those hands... :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Actually some people (like me when I'm in the mood) like a challenge. I would not disable such an option as I feel it would 'lessen' the experience.
I think the argument is that it might be disabled by default, and challenge-seekers like yourself might not know it exists.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think the argument is that it might be disabled by default, and challenge-seekers like yourself might not know it exists.
Or be on a server where the option is disabled because most players refuse to try it. That is not to say they should be forced to against their will, but another problem with large-scale config changes like this is that it sets up a "play it like everyone else wants or make your own server" system.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Or be on a server where the option is disabled because most players refuse to try it. That is not to say they should be forced to against their will, but another problem with large-scale config changes like this is that it sets up a "play it like everyone else wants or make your own server" system.

Ultimately, as inflexible as a "play it like everyone else" mindset could be, its still infinitely more flexible than "no alternatives at all" don't you think?

That's why we have more than one minecraft server out there{citation needed}: different groups of mindsets.

Reactions: RedBoss

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ultimately, as inflexible as a "play it like everyone else" mindset could be, its still infinitely more flexible than "no alternatives at all" don't you think?

That's why we have more than one minecraft server out there{citation needed}: different groups of mindsets.
Better than nothing, maybe, but it is still irritating to go through what I did and scan 50+ servers and find none which do not have at least one deal-breaking config choice.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Better than nothing, maybe, but it is still irritating to go through what I did and scan 50+ servers and find none which do not have at least one deal-breaking config choice.
Now that's a good argument :)

To add to that, its got to be irritating providing a mechanism that you doubt people are using.

I wonder if BR's theoretically craterization config would ever be used. But its output/fuel-consumption configs are used an awful lot!

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Now that's a good argument :)

To add to that, its got to be irritating providing a mechanism that you doubt people are using.

I wonder if BR's theoretically craterization config would ever be used. But its output/fuel-consumption configs are used an awful lot!

I was unaware it had that option (haven't messed with BR yet). I may jack up the fuel use rate to increase the "bluetonium" production (in monster it appears to be ore dict'ed to plutonium).

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I was unaware it had that option (haven't messed with BR yet. I may jack up the fuel use rate to increase the "bluetonium" production (in monster it appears to be ore dict'ed to plutonium).
I believe you mean cyanite, which "breeds" into blutonium.

The cute jargon makes me miss ReC really.

But yes, check "multiplication" config options.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you mean cyanite, which "breeds" into blutonium.

The cute jargon makes me miss ReC really.

But yes, check "multiplication" config options.
... *facepalm*
Cyanite. Yes. I did say that I haven't messed with BR yet, so I'll excuse myself from that one.
>_>
<_<

Reactions: Pyure