KingLemming speaks!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
That escalated quickly;)

How I did my world was TE x2, IC2 xwhatever, then mekanism x5 for iron... why? Cos it was great fun learning a new mod over a week, the end result is unimportant... Just needs to be a somewhat worthwhile goal to work towards.

Ore multiplication number is irrelevant when you have magic crops, bees, sieves and mining lasers(or for that matter a pretty much infinite world to dig)... if you don't want x50 multiplication from OhMyGawdOPAwesomeLolzCraft then don't use it and laugh(quite rightly) at the legions of 14 year olds who do..

Reactions: acker and Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I am aware it has been a couple of weeks since this thread was last written to, but I wish to give my own perspective, after having read through the whole thing:

A lot of what I see on this thread is about people arguing for some sort of hard limit on "power level", that anything beyond that, no matter the cost or time investment, is inherently overpowered, or at least detrimental to the gameplay experience.
This is an opinion I not only do not share, I actively detest. Here is why:

One, I am in agreement that some mods are fundamentally incompatible either with each other or with certain pack types. As I said in another thread, mods designed for a vanilla playstyle, like Twilight Forest, have both their challenges completely trivialized and their rewards made obsolete as soon as they are plopped next to the high-power tech mods, RotaryCraft included.
Yet these hard limits ignore this fact, instead arguing "a mod should never be able to do X", or "if the mod can do X, it must always also do Y". What "X" and "Y" are differ not only from person to person - another nail in the coffin - but are fundamentally driven by these inter-mod interactions. Put a bunch of tech mods (and some, but fewer) magic mods next to each other, and noone blinks an eye at the idea of armor that makes a person nearly unkillable or a tool that speeds crop growth 50x. Add Twilight Forest, Infernal Mobs, Battle Towers, or Void Monster, and suddenly you have infinite loot. Is that the powerful mods' problem? No, it is because you mixed fundamentally incompatible mods.
The idea of configs to fix this is also rather naive. If you used a config to, for example, disable the ability to fly and heavily nerfed the damage reduction with a powersuit, you have just completely negated the whole point of using it in the first place, having dragged it down to near-vanilla levels with 500x the cost. Worse, seeing as their effects are global to a world, if you are on a server, you have just effectively punished everyone else who still wanted the armor yet had no intention of ever going near one of these mobs.

Two, the idea of a hard limit on what mods should and should not do is dangerous. As soon as it becomes generally accepted that "no mod should ever X", anything related to X is immediately out of consideration for creative development. This may not seem like a problem with simple numerical arms races like ore multiplication, but what about entirely new ideas that nonetheless are very powerful? Are you really going to say that some new feature must be summarily rejected based purely on its power level?
It also encourages developers of existing mods to start trying to bring their mods in line with this idea, and the end result is always negative. I am genuinely upset that we have seen several major mods nerf themselves to the point of uselessness over the last few versions by removing some of their best features or introducing such large caveats and/or costs that they become worthless. I will not name names, but I think everyone reading this can think of two immediately obvious examples.

Three, the whole argument is based on a false premise, that players will always go for the most "OP" option. Players go for what has (or they think has) the biggest reward/effort ratio. Look at RotaryCraft. Despite the fact the Extractor can multiply most ores 5x, nether ores 10x, and rare ores 13x, it comes in dead last for popularity among the general player population, purely because it is much harder to get working and until late-game with good design skills, takes longer to process a stack of iron than it does to manually mine five times that amount. Indeed, despite being one of the weakest options (only saved the title of weakest due to a rare bonus item), the TE pulverizer is far and away the most popular ore processor, purely because it is easy.
Point is, no matter how powerful something is, the idea that all the players will flock to it and ignore everything else, no matter the cost, is ludicrous. I could put a "win the game" button in RotaryCraft that gave you creative mode invulnerability and access to infinite resources, but if I made it cost millions of units resource, and made it require assembling a multiblock that makes the Tokamak look like a dirt hut, most people will not even attempt it, and the ones that do will have reached nearly that level already.
People forget this; the idea of a modpack is not to have mod A competing with mod B with mod C with mod D, it is about providing not only a choice of mods to use but also the ability to progress and expand upon your abilities by unlocking them. When I play a world, with all the major tech mods, I do not go straight to RC, despite my memetically-large tendency for powergaming. I start with an AE grindstone, progress to a pulverizer, then use a macerator, then a grinder, then ultimately an extractor. Same for mining; I start by hand, then use quarries, and only then use a borer.

Four, it is hypocritical from the start. It assumes that "historically", mods have worked together and designed around each other's balance points, and that problems of inter-mod balance problems are new to recent versions of modded Minecraft. This is simply wrong. Even blatant examples like EE2 aside, nearly every mechanic you take for granted today was at one point a radical new idea that offered as-yet unseen power. How would you like now it if someone two years ago had made the same arguments you do now against the macerator, seeing as it halves the cost of nearly everything in the game? Or a jetpack? Powered armor? Teleportation? Automining? Autofarming? Designer worlds? Nearly infinite item storage in a few blocks? If this argument had gained traction back in the old tekkit days, mods like AE would simply not exist. Furthermore, this is exactly the argument made by a large proportion of "vanilla purists" who see mods as inherently cheating. To them, new abilities not present in the vanilla game, no matter the cost, go against the standard set by the game - arguably the most official standard of all.

In effect, by making the argument that certain features should be forever off-limits because they fall on the wrong side of some arbitrary line that you struggle to even clearly define, you are making a fundamentally identical argument, that some of the best mods we have, or even this entire community, should have never existed in the first place.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Reika, I agree with the majority of your thoughts here. Assume paragraphs that I haven't quoted, I agree or mostly agree with.

Here's a couple twists on your thoughts to consider:

One, I am in agreement that some mods are fundamentally incompatible either with each other or with certain pack types.
The idea of configs to fix this is also rather naive. If you used a config to, for example, disable the ability to fly and heavily nerfed the damage reduction with a powersuit, you have just completely negated the whole point of using it in the first place, having dragged it down to near-vanilla levels with 500x the cost. Worse, seeing as their effects are global to a world, if you are on a server, you have just effectively punished everyone else who still wanted the armor yet had no intention of ever going near one of these mobs.
I think this is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction in the exact opposite end of the spectrum. It seems to preclude the fact that configs (of some sort) frequently do make mod-matching more appealing.

Example: Big Reactors creates power by way of a floating point multiplier. Consumers of the mod have access to this multiplier. As a result, I can now put both Big Reactors and other power-generation mods in the same pack harmoniously by scaling its power up or down depending on the output of those other mods. This is an obvious win-win for everyone, the modder included, due to increased accessibility of the mod.

Such logic could be applied to ReC reactors and the RoC extractor. Suddenly I can have a pulverizer at 2.1x output (approx.) and an extractor at 3.5x output. Or 8.5 output. Whatever makes sense in this specific pack. And its not naive to say that a global multiplier could be added to any output algorithms.

Three, the whole argument is based on a false premise, that players will always go for the most "OP" option. Players go for what has (or they think has) the biggest reward/effort ratio. Look at RotaryCraft. Despite the fact the Extractor can multiply most ores 5x, nether ores 10x, and rare ores 13x, it comes in dead last for popularity among the general player population, purely because it is much harder to get working and until late-game with good design skills, takes longer to process a stack of iron than it does to manually mine five times that amount. Indeed, despite being one of the weakest options (only saved the title of weakest due to a rare bonus item), the TE pulverizer is far and away the most popular ore processor, purely because it is easy.
Where do you get your numbers on this? Pulverizer will be more popular by default because it comes from a mod which is more popular and is accordingly in more modpacks. If both are in the same pack, a player will first gain what is simplest, and will eventually gain what is most beneficial. Only in the most brutal of scenarios will they skip the most OP solution; the ReC tokamak is the only such that comes to mind. The extractor doesn't fit in the category at all: Everyone who has RoC at their disposal builds this except Monster players who hate RoC and are incapable or uninterested in removing it from the pack. From that perspective, the extractor and pulverizer are in near-equal popularity.

At the end of the day, configurability is still king. I can rate a mod an A because its novel, realistic, fun and visually appealing. But A++ goes to those who go above and beyond and make it accessible, and that sometimes means we cannot idly accept that "ModA and ModB are totally incompatible" by default: a sufficiently clever approach can often make it work.

Reactions: Skyqula and dothrom

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think this is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction in the exact opposite end of the spectrum. It seems to preclude the fact that configs (of some sort) frequently do make mod-matching more appealing.

Example: Big Reactors creates power by way of a floating point multiplier. Consumers of the mod have access to this multiplier. As a result, I can now put both Big Reactors and other power-generation mods in the same pack harmoniously by scaling its power up or down depending on the output of those other mods. This is an obvious win-win for everyone, the modder included, due to increased accessibility of the mod.
I am not trying to argue that configs are in general useless, just that they are woefully ineffective at solving the issue of mod balance interactions without severe auxiliary costs.

Such logic could be applied to ReC reactors and the RoC extractor. Suddenly I can have a pulverizer at 2.1x output (approx.) and an extractor at 3.5x output. Or 8.5 output. Whatever makes sense in this specific pack. And its not naive to say that a global multiplier could be added to any output algorithms.
Under the original argument, that is not good enough. Deviation from the "accepted norm" is the problem. Both 13x, 15x, 15004389x, and 4x all are equally bad, because they are not 2x.

Where do you get your numbers on this? Pulverizer will be more popular by default because it comes from a mod which is more popular and is accordingly in more modpacks. If both are in the same pack, a player will first gain what is simplest, and will eventually gain what is most beneficial. Only in the most brutal of scenarios will they skip the most OP solution; the ReC tokamak is the only such that comes to mind. The extractor doesn't fit in the category at all: Everyone who has RoC at their disposal builds this except Monster players who hate RoC and are incapable or uninterested in removing it from the pack. From that perspective, the extractor and pulverizer are in near-equal popularity.
There was a thread on this forum that I tried to link to for the original post, but failed to find. It was a poll titled something like "Favorite ore processing in FTB monster", where the Extractor was at about 7% of the vote, whereas the pulverizer was over 50%. This was posted (and I read it), about four to six months ago. If you know where it is, go ahead and provide the link, and I will cite it in my post.

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I am not trying to argue that configs are in general useless, just that they are woefully ineffective at solving the issue of mod balance interactions without severe auxiliary costs.
Agreed somewhat. For the remainder, clarify "auxiliary" in this context? I could accept that where a highly-reused algorithm is in discussion, floating point mathematics would be the only reasonable configuration option yet might have unwelcome computational costs.

Under the original argument, that is not good enough. Deviation from the "accepted norm" is the problem. Both 13x, 15x, 15004389x, and 4x all are equally bad, because they are not 2x.
Completely agreed. However I'm making a side argument that we can have our cake and eat it too so that the original argument is moot. Let them bitch about OP numbers: if we manage to make it configurable (and I can accept there isn't a clever solution to this in all cases), its no longer a point of discussion because people will do what they please, and in some packs, 50x multiplication might make tons of sense.

There was a thread on this forum that I tried to link to for the original post, but failed to find. It was a poll titled something like "Favorite ore processing in FTB monster", where the Extractor was at about 7% of the vote, whereas the pulverizer was over 50%. This was posted (and I read it), about four to six months ago.
I think we can both agree that my popular-mod-equals-popular-machine argument carries weight here. With a blanket poll like that, I'm pleased and impressed the extractor did as well as it did. (Consider that the pulverizer has been in almost every{??} official FTB pack for years, and the extractor has been in...two?)

Edit: I can't actually back up the pulverizer-prevelence comment without going through modpack lists. But suffice to say, its a lot of packs.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Agreed somewhat. For the remainder, clarify "auxiliary" in this context?
Like I said in point one, either making the mod so weak it cannot even approach its initial purpose or, in a multiplayer environment, punishing those who wish to use the mod as it was and not exploit inter-mod differences.
I also just thought of another: mods that have clear stylistic choices, like Rotary/ReactorCraft. You can run an entire base full of most mod's machinery off of one ReactorCraft reactor. Some argue that this is overpowered, and that I should provide configs to change that. However, seeing as the main driving force of those mods is realism, the idea of a ReC reactor putting out power comparable to most other mods' generators is so painfully absurd that I refuse to even consider it.

I think we can both agree that my popular-mod-equals-popular-machine argument carries weight here. With a blanket poll like that, I'm pleased and impressed the extractor did as well as it did. (Consider that the pulverizer has been in almost every{??} official FTB pack for years, and the extractor has been in...two?)

Edit: I can't actually back up the pulverizer-prevelence comment without going through modpack lists. But suffice to say, its a lot of packs.
This was for Monster. One pack. Even options from not-nearly-as-popular mods like Factorization had at least twice the userbase.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Like I said in point one, either making the mod so weak it cannot even approach its initial purpose or, in a multiplayer environment, punishing those who wish to use the mod as it was and not exploit inter-mod differences.
Thanks for clarifying. I think the issue is that accessibility sometimes means providing more purposes than originally intended. Extra points must go to the developers who provide the tools and flexibility needed for extra creative applications. Players who aren't interested in those creative applications aren't the targeted audience for that modpack.

This was for Monster. One pack. Even options from not-nearly-as-popular mods like Factorization had at least twice the userbase.
Thanks for clarifying. I checked back to see if you had originally mentioned Monster and if I'd missed it.

The extractor is still new on the scene to a lot of players. And if people were still voting for Factorization during this poll I wonder if it was done quite a while ago :)

And honestly, can you really trust what Monster-players have to say about anything anyway? (teasing)

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
I, as a server admin and someone that messes with configs alot, think that there is no such thing as Op under any context. No one is holding anyone at gunpoint to include a certain mod. If you feel one of the mods is op in your opinion, then either don't use it, or don't put it in your pack, or on your server.

To that end its entirely invalid to try and tell other people what do with their mod.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I agree with you, but with a slight modification to this:
I, as a server admin and someone that messes with configs alot, think that there is no such thing as Op under any context.

There is "overpowered" in regard to what a pack is built for. If I have a pack built around GT, with all of its nerfs and difficulty increases active, and then throw something like TE3 in there with no modifications, then TE3 is overpowered for that situation. This all changes based upon what the purpose of a pack is.

Reactions: acker and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I, as a server admin and someone that messes with configs alot, think that there is no such thing as Op under any context. No one is holding anyone at gunpoint to include a certain mod. If you feel one of the mods is op in your opinion, then either don't use it, or don't put it in your pack, or on your server.

To that end its entirely invalid to try and tell other people what do with their mod.
Well there's OP in the context of "what were they thinking when they added this convert-dirt-to-14000RF/T-cobblestone-furnace mod to this hardcore survival map", but other than that, right :)

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019

I not only agree but feel this goes another step further. Player choice. Even if, you don't know how to modify configs, or change what mods are active/inactive, or are on a server and can't change them anyway; YOU choose what to make or build or use.
I used to use MMMPS extensively, but now I don't. I feel it's fairly OP and kills the game for me now. At this point I only use the leggings, for good armor, with speed and jump boost. Don't even install the generator. I mix and match the rest of the pieces to suit whatever "style" I'm going for at the time. Even though fully upgrade MPS armor is objectively "the best" in most cases. I don't like most of it, so I don't use most of it. And if you're on a server, and are angry because people are using mechanics you feel are OP? GET OVER IT! With the exception of PVP/Anarchy/Faction/etc. servers, how other people are playing are none of your business (unless you're the owner or admin perhaps). And if you just can't get over some other players on the server playing differently than you, then leave. Just go find a server that fits your taste.

edit: TL;DR: Every step of the game is the players choice. Choose modpack, choose mods, choose configs, choose WHAT TO DO IN GAME. With the notable exception of objective-based packs/maps. But you have to choose to play those too.

Reactions: Reika and Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I not only agree but feel this goes another step further. Player choice. Even if, you don't know how to modify configs, or change what mods are active/inactive, or are on a server and can't change them anyway; YOU choose what to make or build or use.
I frequently see this argument and I'll try to explain why it bugs me.

Immersion and challenge are important to me in a game. If I have to play a game where I have to get, say, 10000 points to win, and there's a big red button that says "You can press this button at any time to get an instant 1000 points", its an annoying distraction knowing its there. The game actually "feels" better when I remove that button.

I choose what to build or use, but the accomplishment feels less immersive knowing I can just hit a button and win at any time.

Reactions: Skyqula

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019

Immersion and challenge are important to me in a game. If I have to play a game where I have to get, say, 10000 points to win, and there's a big red button that says "You can press this button at any time to get an instant 1000 points", its an annoying distraction knowing its there. The game actually "feels" better when I remove that button.

I choose what to build or use, but the accomplishment feels less immersive knowing I can just hit a button and win at any time.
If you're playing on your own, then just remove that button? If you're on a server...? Then you'll just have to deal with it. And even if you ignore those options, and you can't get over the button being there. Then the problem is still YOU. Not the button. I put mekanism in my modified Monster pack. I could just power my whole base with a bank of self sustaining Hydrogen gens and electrolytic seperators. But I don't. What you can or cannot ignore is a function of yourself, NOT of external forces.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If you're playing on your own, then just remove that button? If you're on a server...? Then you'll just have to deal with it. And even if you ignore those options, and you can't get over the button being there. Then the problem is still YOU. Not the button. I put mekanism in my modified Monster pack. I could just power my whole base with a bank of self sustaining Hydrogen gens and electrolytic seperators. But I don't. What you can or cannot ignore is a function of yourself, NOT of external forces.
The problem with your argument isn't accuracy, friend, its omission.

I agree with everything you just said. The thing is that as great as your theoretical modpack is, I still reserve the right to prefer one that is more flexible. Make sense?

The majority of modpacks out there are filthy with red buttons. A lot of these packs are still fantastic. Everything else being equal, however, the "best" mods have higher degrees of inter-mod flexibility and compatibility. And in this case, DothromPack sounds fantastic, but it would be even better if you had the option to fix, one way or another, the hydrogen/electrolytic exploit.

Read that carefully. I'm not saying it would be better if you fixed it, but only if you had the ability. Given that, you could tailor your pack either to those who want a strict challenge, or tailor it to people who don't give a damn and can ignore whatever buttons they please.

Hope we're back on the same page again :)

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with your argument isn't accuracy, friend, its omission.

I agree with everything you just said. The thing is that as great as your theoretical modpack is, I still reserve the right to prefer one that is more flexible. Make sense?

The majority of modpacks out there are filthy with red buttons. A lot of these packs are still fantastic. Everything else being equal, however, the "best" mods have higher degrees of inter-mod flexibility and compatibility. And in this case, DothromPack sounds fantastic, but it would be even better if you had the option to fix, one way or another, the hydrogen/electrolytic exploit.

Read that carefully. I'm not saying it would be better if you fixed it, but only if you had the ability. Given that, you could tailor your pack either to those who want a strict challenge, or tailor it to people who don't give a damn and can ignore whatever buttons they please.

Hope we're back on the same page again :)
More or less on the same page I guess. IMO then you're mostly just arguing semantics that would effect what makes the theoretical "best" mod or modpack. I can see and do mostly agree that config options are awesome and sometimes hugely beneficial. But I personally would rate "flexibility" and modpack friendliness second to independent mod quality/mechanics. With the exception of utility-type mods like Extra Utilities and Random Things.
So I'm not saying you're wrong. I just don't completely (though probably mostly) agree.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
But I personally would rate "flexibility" and modpack friendliness second to independent mod quality/mechanics.
Me too! Which is why I said "all other things being equal." I'm uninterested in a mod that's flexible and balanced but doesn't actually do anything :p

Now we can get back to other things.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with you, but with a slight modification to this:

There is "overpowered" in regard to what a pack is built for. If I have a pack built around GT, with all of its nerfs and difficulty increases active, and then throw something like TE3 in there with no modifications, then TE3 is overpowered for that situation. This all changes based upon what the purpose of a pack is.
Thats exactly what I meant though, the balance of a particular mod is always subjective and always sensitive to context and there cannot or will not be hard limits to how far something can go. Lets not forget modders provide a free service by their own choice, and your choice as a modpack creator, a server admin, or even a player is to use or not use them.

I find statements referring to imposing a "limit" on mods ridiculous.

This boils down to you to choose not to install a mod that does that. You can always do that. If a mod maker is unwilling to provide configs for whatever, thats his/her choice and is to be respected, as they have expressive creative freedom in their decisions regarding design and balance of their mods.

The choice you make is to include the mod in your pack or not.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Me too! Which is why I said "all other things being equal." I'm uninterested in a mod that's flexible and balanced but doesn't actually do anything :p

Now we can get back to other things.
Oh, right. We're supposed to be all freaked out about the Microsoft/Mojang thing.
*clears throat*
*throws hands in the air and runs in circles "AAAAAAAAAARGH!"*

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This boils down to you to choose not to install a mod that does that. You can always do that. If a mod maker is unwilling to provide configs for whatever, thats his/her choice and is to be respected, as they have expressive creative freedom in their decisions regarding design and balance of their mods.

The choice you make is to include the mod in your pack or not.
From a player's perspective, agreed, obviously.

And if two modders create an identical mod but with different configuration flexibility, I reserve the right to prefer that one over the other (equally obviously). E.g., flexibility in a mod is a valid criterion by which one can personally judge a mod (in addition to potentially more important criteria.)

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
From a player's perspective, agreed, obviously.

And if two modders create an identical mod but with different configuration flexibility, I reserve the right to prefer that one over the other (equally obviously). E.g., flexibility in a mod is a valid criterion by which one can personally judge a mod (in addition to potentially more important criteria.)
Ofcourse. I just think that alot of people feel a strong sense of entitlement that mod makers need to carry to their play styles. I can't stand that. Im always one to support more modularity to be added, and I like messing with configs to tip balance for my server. But I would never demand off a modder that they cater to my very specific vision of what I consider balanced.