KingLemming speaks!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
There's probably an unfilled niche right now for something falling in between both extremes. Having a meltdown can be fun and a great learning experience if you can actually recover from it without just loading up a backup of your world.

Abit like when TE engines got stuck and required a wrench hit to start working again. I realy liked that mechanic. Gives a clear indication of "your doing it wrong" without actually punishing you. If a BR reactor would do something similar that would be awesome. Like completly stop working and turn all fuel to waste when going above 2000 degrees. A clear indication your doing it wrong without causing to much trouble to recover.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Abit like when TE engines got stuck and required a wrench hit to start working again. I realy liked that mechanic. Gives a clear indication of "your doing it wrong" without actually punishing you. If a BR reactor would do something similar that would be awesome. Like completly stop working and turn all fuel to waste when going above 2000 degrees. A clear indication your doing it wrong without causing to much trouble to recover.
Right. For some people, its nice when a game stays a game and doesn't stray too far into "pointlessly annoying simulation."

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
the title of this thread annoys me. "sure, lets make a thread anytime a modder speaks!" ;p
SILENCE! You must not disrespect our Lemming King!
To be fair, he doesn't post openly very often, and he's had(has?) a lot of influence on where the community has headed in recent time. Or at least it'd seem that way with all the RF being adopted in so many mods.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
There already are. Tabula Rasa from King Lemming, CustomItems from InfinityRaider, and Quandrum by I forget who. Each mod in the list has more options available than the previous. These mods are great for filling the gaps in mods for pack makers. I've used CustomItems for an overhaul of the ore system for a better implementation of Poor Ores (and dense ores) than what Railcraft provides.

Custom Items?

EDIT: Quandrum?

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
This is relevant to my current thoughts on ore doubling, progression, and hardmode/grindy subjects. I think it could be a positive step forward if ore doubling didn't. I'd like to see a mode where (to pull random numbers right out of my nose) a tier 1 SweetOreMachine gave a small bonus (say...10%) on each ore, perhaps in the form of a small dust pile that could be combined or automatically smelted 9 or 10 at a time.

Have you considered "FortuneOres"? The idea: Ores such as iron drop an unsmelted item, not the ore block; this drop is affected by the vanilla fortune enchantment. Your ore bonus is obtained the normal way -- mining with a fortune tool, not by making a special machine. Suddenly, iron, gold, and (in theory), mod ores that would have dropped their ore block now get fortune bonuses.

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika I'm quite happy that at least finally a mod dev has come out and posted what you did there. On the whole I agree with what you said and would like to add a couple of my own thoughts.

First of all, as someone else posted a long time ago, the entire concept of people citing this mod is "op" is skewed. Mostly people claim this without actually comparing one mod with another. Without comparing 2 things/items/mods/concepts it's actually impossible to claim that something is "op" because a singular thing/item/mod/concept cannot be op simply because it's singular. The entire idea of comparison being to compare one thing to something else.

In addition, I'd like to add that creativity, as you pointed out, is driven by ideas and those ideas need to be (in the world of modded MC) be coded into mods. When vanilla MC was first released the idea of ore multiplication simply didn't exist. Someone came along and thought to him/herself...wouldn't it be interesting to double ore output at the cost of something else. One thing leads to another but all those things together leads to innovation. If Eloraam hadn't ever thought of RP's frames or pneumatic tubes it might have been years before we'd have seen something like KingLemming's ducts or WayOfFlowingTime's translocator (or whatever the name is).

FInally, I firmly believe that "op" only exists because we choose to use certain items/methods. Sure, I know IC2 provides the possibility of tripling my ores when I play FTB. Thing is, I actually don't even want to bother putting in the effort to get to that stage, aside from the material cost. I've not played RC yet (seems like a cool mod from what I've read/seen) but at the end of the day it's MY choice whether I use certain methods or not.

I'm currently even back to also playing a vanilla MC world just to see what challenges I can put to myself and how I can solve them. I'm a huge fan of Etho, for instance, purely because he chooses not to use the default and/or easy route.

Simply keep on coding what you feel like coding. At the end of the day, it's people's own choice what to use AND how to use it.

Cheers,
Bel*.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps I'm a bit late to the party. And perhaps I've missed several mentions of this same thought. But as I see it. Use of mods and the features there in is for the fun of the user. Reading what I have here I've seen a lot of people getting confused over fun. Yes... I understand that ore multiplication isn't in the realm of realism. But when I'm playing a game, such as minecraft (modded or not) I'm not truly after realism. I'm after an enjoyable relief from reality.

Long story short... If you enjoy it. Use it. If you don't... Find another route.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Have you considered "FortuneOres"? The idea: Ores such as iron drop an unsmelted item, not the ore block; this drop is affected by the vanilla fortune enchantment. Your ore bonus is obtained the normal way -- mining with a fortune tool, not by making a special machine. Suddenly, iron, gold, and (in theory), mod ores that would have dropped their ore block now get fortune bonuses.
Interesting idea. Changes a lot of the dynamic and makes something like a TiCo hammer with fortune even more required. Might be something to play around with...hmm. How does it interact with Silk Touch?

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I fail to see how it would change its behavior at all.
It probably wouldn't, but I am unclear if Silk Touch currently does anything when used on a block that doesn't normally require it. It interacts oddly with some blocks (Essence Ore and Power Ore are two examples). If it were possible to get an Iron Ore block with FortuneOres, and items like the Enriching Machine still exist, then you haven't changed very much by adding the mod. Other tweaking would be required.

Just curious, really, and not in a position (oddly, since I am free to post here) to directly search for information about the mod.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
That is because those ores, like many other vanilla blocks, return false from "canSilkHarvest", the function used to determine if a block is silk-touch-able.
Some modpacks, like yogscast complete, overrride this with minetweaker and add pulverizer recipes for those to get more return.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
the title of this thread annoys me. "sure, lets make a thread anytime a modder speaks!" ;p

Well quite honestly I didn't think the thread would still be going any longer than a couple of days after I posted it. Somehow it has developed a life of its own tho. I only wanted to discuss a few specifics about what King Lemming had posted on the reddit thread and I thought the title was both reflective of that, and might also draw people in to see what the King had to say.

We all make poor decisions in life and then have to live with them, perhaps the thread title was one of mine. :) But if you're somehow off-handedly accusing me of being a "nuthugger" or something like that... uh, no. That would be wrong. :D