Zombies Destroying Light Sources

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Rick Carter

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running Monster 1.0.4, what mod causes the zombies (may also be others mobs but I've only seen the zombies do it) to destroy light sources? I've had it happen to both torches and glowstone so far.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure that is SpecialMobs ( i think that's the name ).

They will also purposely damage farmland I hear.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
It is definitely Special Mobs. It's only zombies. And yes they will also stomp farmland. Set B:passive_griefing to false if you don't want this to happen. Zombies have quite a bit of reach too, so if you want to play with it on, try to have 2-3m thick walls in areas you've secured.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Also of note with Special Mobs is that it is VERY configurable. Everything to determining spawn weight by mob to equipping mobs and adding special AI.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Nice, a mod for players who wants a harsher environment to play in. :)

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Also of note with Special Mobs is that it is VERY configurable. Everything to determining spawn weight by mob to equipping mobs and adding special AI.
Also to note that Special Mobs doesn't appear to be that server friendly. Mod author is aware of it. While it works, it causes memory overburdens, and eventually shuts down the server with no actual warnings.
Shame, as I'd love to have it on my server. Seeing it in action can be scary, especially when combined with Zombie Awareness.

Still, we use Lava Monsters by same author, which works nicely.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Also to note that Special Mobs doesn't appear to be that server friendly. Mod author is aware of it. While it works, it causes memory overburdens, and eventually shuts down the server with no actual warnings.
Shame, as I'd love to have it on my server. Seeing it in action can be scary, especially when combined with Zombie Awareness.

Still, we use Lava Monsters by same author, which works nicely.

Special Mobs actually caused problems to me in my singleplayer world which you'd normally see on servers, you break a block and you can wait a good 10-15 seconds before the damn block finally drops

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Special Mobs actually caused problems to me in my singleplayer world which you'd normally see on servers, you break a block and you can wait a good 10-15 seconds before the damn block finally drops
We've had some issues -- one of our test servers kept crashing when anyone went to a specific player's base area. I kept seeing something about special mobs in the log, disabled it, and the server stabilized.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
While I did encounter performance issues when using Special Mobs, they went away when I limited the special AI and allowed vanilla mobs to exist. There is also a rare issue with mod interaction when pathing mobs through/around structures/decoration that aren't properly generated (something FatherToast can't fix) that can cause a crash, but it hasn't happened to me since removing BoP. There may be a stable BoP release that resolves this now, but there wasn't last time I checked.

Here's a pastebin of what my config looks like: http://pastebin.com/uaUHaZcX

I also had to turn of armor equipping because I am using another mod (Mekanism) that has its own armor equipping routines, I think, and it seemed like the two mods were fighting over it (last I checked there was no config in Mekanism to turn this off). I also turned off as much naming and size scaling as possible. Generating random numbers is apparently cpu heavy compared to other things. If you want/need even more performance, turn off random weapon equipping stuff too.

On spawn rates, you'll probably want to adjust these back to the defaults. Mine makes jockeys as common as anything else and disables a couple mob types.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
While I did encounter performance issues when using Special Mobs, they went away when I limited the special AI and allowed vanilla mobs to exist. There is also a rare issue with mod interaction when pathing mobs through/around structures/decoration that aren't properly generated (something FatherToast can't fix) that can cause a crash, but it hasn't happened to me since removing BoP. There may be a stable BoP release that resolves this now, but there wasn't last time I checked.

Here's a pastebin of what my config looks like: http://pastebin.com/uaUHaZcX

I also had to turn of armor equipping because I am using another mod (Mekanism) that has its own armor equipping routines, I think, and it seemed like the two mods were fighting over it (last I checked there was no config in Mekanism to turn this off). I also turned off as much naming and size scaling as possible. Generating random numbers is apparently cpu heavy compared to other things. If you want/need even more performance, turn off random weapon equipping stuff too.

On spawn rates, you'll probably want to adjust these back to the defaults. Mine makes jockeys as common as anything else and disables a couple mob types.

I agree, Mekanism should really add a configuration option for the armor on mobs as the mobs spawn too often with armor. like more then half of the zombies I come across wear atleast some kind of Mekanism armor... it's nice and all to get some free armor, but imagine making a mobfarm and getting tons and tons of armor pieces that you just don't need... sure, you can void it all, but then what really is the point of them wearing armor so often...

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I agree, Mekanism should really add a configuration option for the armor on mobs as the mobs spawn too often with armor. like more then half of the zombies I come across wear atleast some kind of Mekanism armor... it's nice and all to get some free armor, but imagine making a mobfarm and getting tons and tons of armor pieces that you just don't need... sure, you can void it all, but then what really is the point of them wearing armor so often...
Try playing on hard mode with zombie awareness. That's what we have on our server and almost every zombie will be armoured. I don't have mob farm, but the sheer number of zombies that visit every night is almost like a farm. I void the steel armour, repair the lapis, osmium and glowstone armour to recycle back to original components. Got an iron chest filled of each flavor of armour and each day I log in I get some of that stuff processed and recycled.

Reactions: PierceSG

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Try playing on hard mode with zombie awareness. That's what we have on our server and almost every zombie will be armoured. I don't have mob farm, but the sheer number of zombies that visit every night is almost like a farm. I void the steel armour, repair the lapis, osmium and glowstone armour to recycle back to original components. Got an iron chest filled of each flavor of armour and each day I log in I get some of that stuff processed and recycled.

well, I can understand the challenge of fighting armored zombies, but a configuration option to control the armored mob spawning, or a configuration option of the chance of the armor dropping would be nice to have, as it just feels too easy for me to get easy resources like that... just make a dirthut and camp in at at night with a few dozen swords and get all the free resources...

NotEnoughCoffee

Jul 29, 2019
A cheap alternative to torches is a type of lamp that's crafted using two slabs of quarried stone. Zombies won't destroy them. Don't know the name of the mod they're from.

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019

I was wondering why a spawner I lit up was no longer lit. I went back and lit it up again, soon after, the torch was on the ground. I thought it was some weird world-gen bug.

- I void the steel armour-

I usually end up saving any steel armor I come across for when I get an uncrafting table from TF. Depending on what mods you have, steel can be a pain in the arse to make.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I was wondering why a spawner I lit up was no longer lit. I went back and lit it up again, soon after, the torch was on the ground. I thought it was some weird world-gen bug.

I usually end up saving any steel armor I come across for when I get an uncrafting table from TF. Depending on what mods you have, steel can be a pain in the arse to make.
Not really, only at the start. But I've got a blast furnace and the tinkerys smeltry to recycle chain mail.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
A cheap alternative to torches is a type of lamp that's crafted using two slabs of quarried stone. Zombies won't destroy them. Don't know the name of the mod they're from.

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

those are the new lamps from Railcraft. you can also use normal stone slabs for this

flece

Jul 29, 2019
i like this mod but Zombies not only destroy and pickup torches...but also Warded Jars (filled with essentia). I think this isn´t intended. i lost 7 Jars within 2 (RL)hours of playing...that sucks!