Your number ONE favorite way to play minecraft ???

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
So...I was attempting to explain Minecraft to a friend who has never played it, even though I was unaware sucha person existed until now. (I know sucha isn't a real word, bugger off) And I found myself trying to say things like "It doesn't even matter WHAT kind of games you like normally, you can play Minecraft SOOOO many different ways !!!" Gushing with fandom, over-explanations and ranting about mods, modpacks and servers, I realized that it really REALLY is kind of insane how very much variety there really is in our communities. Servers especially.

I mean, when you start adding Bukkit plugins and Forge mods, Minecraft can really range from an open world online RPG set in Medieval stylings, to a modern day FPS with round/killcount based play, an economical city building sim, and well, I better just leave it at that, because well, just don't get me started. Prison servers ? Creative mode ? Mod-PACKS ??? Thats right, SETS of individual mods all stapled together in some sort of generalized experience ready to go for your convenience that can ALSO vary quite greatly and turn Minecraft into one of a bazillion different games or "experiences". Can anyone really love anything too much ? My therapist says yes. But hey that cat is crazy ! No really, it's a cat, this isn't the 70s...

So I was just curious, maybe everyone here likes most of the FTB packs, and likely FTB servers, but is there anything NEW, or out of the ordinary you might enjoy too ? I mean, for a long time, even though I was on the forums and such, I didn't know a prison server was a thing. And at first the possibilty that tech mods and Bukkit could come together to make really in depth political/economical systems and turn servers into large breathing worlds with empire pitted against empire against empire battling in arms races and collection of raw material in a LIFE-LIKE scale did not occur to me. And all the amazing maps and Adventure Mode and Command Block possibilities, I am really starting to think, maybe Minecraft could literally be ANYTHING we want it to be...So with this creative of a group, I wanted to hear what else is out there ??? Come on guys, favorite maps ? Favorite servers ? Third party packs ? And NO I am NOT talking about those server packs that are Unleashed with 1 or 2 mods out and 3 or 4 put in, I mean something REALLY different and unique that maybe others didn't know was out there (yet)...I wanna hear some of THAT...

IF you have no life or just enjoy reading about Minecraft, (YOU might need a therapist cat too btw). Here's something maybe YOU have never experienced in MC:

WARNING: super looooong !
Not gonna explain all my mods, but I am guessing alot of MY minecraft is different from yours:

One of my all time favorite scenarios. I had saved inside a cave, in a Witch's Forest where witches spawn naturally. I was at about Y 23, deep in a tunnel/mineshaft. I had about 1.5 hearts and regen is super super slow. No healthpacks on me or potions, but ALOT of hard to find loot. Gregtech, Hardcore Mode (what I call soft Hardcore, you cant respawn but can reload save points, with World State Checkpoints Mod) and Custom Ore Gen (meaning ores ar biome specific and much rarer) all on. In the tunnel branch in front of me, to the right around a corner was a witch. This witch was also frickin Level 5 (the toughest, extra dmg and hp), behind me was Black Granite EVERYwhere (cant be mined with the tools I had), I couldn't run or mine fast at all with 1.5 hearts (hunger overhaul) and HAD to get past that darn witch. No ranged weapon and swinging my sword super slow...

I opted to wait a ridiculous long time and get my hearts to around 6 or 7, which took a good long boring 30 mins or so of standing still sneaking and praying the witch didn't find me. FINALLY I decided to go for it. I KNEW I was lost and the massive cave system would lead me in circles long before the surface was close and I'd be safe. As a rule, I only let myself save every 15 mins or use autosaves(world/dimension loads, every 15 mins) so when I made a run for it, turned left and heard the witch throw that Instant Damage potion and missed I was thrilled. I ran heard a spider, turned wildly without thinking, knowing death and the witch were inches from my back at any second, turned again, only thinking of the surface, but even then, it wouldn't matter, I would go all the way to bedrock if it meant avoiding that L5 witch for good. About 20 seconds and a few tunnels later I was sure I'd lost her.

I looked back, didnt see her, but heard her, so I darted down the tracks further. A split second later, a message popped up, I had died. I had stepped on a Spike Trap. You Will Die mod had lived up to its name...again...
Of course, on Hardcore I couldn't respawn. I had to load my save...Back again...1.5 hearts, level 5 witch a couple blocks and around the corner away from me...maybe 6 cooked fish, which by the way do NOT heal me, only fend off starvation. Health regened at a rate of like idk...1/2 a heart every 3 minutes or so...REALLY slow okay...

Anyways, THAT save. I loaded THAT exact situation about 20 more times. I was SO mad, frustrated, even downright angry. But I HAD asked for this I told myself. I wanted a challenge...I got it alright...My flint sword broke at some point a little later and I saved again. It took about 10 more tries from THAT second save point to get home, but in the end, I had really felt like I had accomplished something. And I LOVED it. I kept that save and that modpack. Still have it now actually. It was tough, and very rewarding. And there is almost NOTHING about it that could happen in vanilla Minecraft. Most people who enjoy this challenge CAN'T enjoy vanilla anyways, we're better suited for Gregtech and TerraFirmaCraft. Both I LIKE ALOT...Both also IMHO, turn Minecraft into something completely different and new. Yet, maybe you didn't know that...

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't describe Minecraft ad just a game. For me it's a whole platform, as you said, there is literally (Yes, I did say literally. And I mean it. PROBLEM?!) anything you could potentially do. Even with just vanilla, guys like sethbling create maps and contraptions you wouldn't even think about. And servers go far beyond, with names like Hypixel or Shotbow. Then there are mods, which go even one level higher.

Reactions: abculatter_2

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Its a lego kit, without the pain of stepping on a brick.
Unless you get the Minecraft Lego Kit, in which case What is wrong with you?! The benefit of not having it is that I don't have to run that risk again, and if someone wants to play Minecraft but doesn't have a account, so they'll use the Lego Kit, they really need to simply save a weeks worth of change from running to the store for their parents and ask a adult who isn't a dick to buy them a account with the scratch they provide.

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
I've just never seen a single game that could be an FPS shooter one minute but an economic strategy sim the next. Not to mention a bazillion other things. it literally is infinite I think. Like a few zillion games in one. No wonder we're all addicted to it. I eat sleep and breathe Minecraft... And for all the ridiculous amount of hours I have played it, I doubt I have even scratched the surface...

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I've just never seen a single game that could be an FPS shooter one minute but an economic strategy sim the next. Not to mention a bazillion other things. it literally is infinite I think. Like a few zillion games in one. No wonder we're all addicted to it. I eat sleep and breathe Minecraft... And for all the ridiculous amount of hours I have played it, I doubt I have even scratched the surface...
Heh, "addicted to Minecraft". I guess I have my dad's level of willpower. I can quit cold turkey with no chance of cravings. Same with him, except he has actual drugs in his life.

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea if I CAN quit. I haven't wanted to yet, so just never tried. Honestly, when I get my new comp, if I could just play Minecraft all day long, I think I would. Of course, I say that now...Really though, I really enjoy it, and I think it's pretty cool I can still enjoy something that was so cheap. I'm glad I still enjoy it and have a ton of other ways to enjoy I havent even tried yet, I don't envy my brother, hes had most new games the night they release at midnight, had an xbox One pre-ordered, got Titanfall last week, but hes always saying hes bored. I guess I am lucky I can be entertained so easily and content so cheaply. I mean, when I play, I am happy, and isn't that all one can ask for ?

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
That is the whole point of a sandbox game. A game where your path isn't premade. Some games still have story lines(GTA), but you can run around and do whatever you want. Minecraft takes it to a level I don't think any other game has. Minecraft is whatever you want it to be. What will you do in your sandbox? For me, tech mods all the way. Other than magic crops, i disable all other magic mods from the packs. Playing on Horizons now like that, but have added big reactors and updated all of Reika's mods to the newest versions since I decided to make that my main mod for this play through. In all my Unleashes worlds, I tended to do the same setups over and over. My current style is to use everything but the old setups. Some of the new mods FTB added are truly amazing.

Reactions: YX33A

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
for me... SSP has kind of "burned out" after 2 yrs strait. SMP is still fun, but with my internet... i have mostly moved on to making modpacks for my Friends.

Reactions: Padfoote

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I play it as a puzzle game, I like hearing about contraptions that people make, but try to replicate them without instructions, or make my own version.

Also, there are people who can dislike minecraft, and it's those that can't be self-motivated. The play styles that have goals set for you will always run out, and only those who can motivate themselves will actually enjoy minecraft long-term

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
I tell people that Minecraft is the only game where you can simply zone out for hours and still feel accomplishment many times along the way. And really that's how I play it. Just load it up and go with it. Even those \+<\+>\=> moments tend to soak you into a Zen like state.
I know there are other ways of playing like hardcore and super tech. But I just can't see why people would play that way.( and please you don't have to explain it to me, I am just blind to your viewpoint ). If you have nothing else to do and wanna pass a few hours just jump on and create!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
The idea that you can just make anything you want and alter everything around you is at the core of the vanilla game, then you can take that and turn it into any kind of game you want, but WITH the ability to still change any and everything around you. I think that is amazing. I like playing Battlefield online, I was thinking with Flan's mods and something like ICBM, a full scale war server could get pretty exciting. I imagine a realistic arms race and fierce battles over terrain and resources, especially with a custom map. The cool part is that unlike Battlefield, you can shape the terrain to literally anything you can imagine and build your base hidden deep underground or floating in the sky or well...again anything you can imagine..

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm less fortunate in that I need to set myself difficult goals. Once that goal is met I need to find something else to aim for.

Currently I'm working towards one of Reika's Fusion Reactors. I anticipate it taking me many weeks at the rate I play. Then, who knows?

Reactions: YX33A

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
meh. choking can happen, say when you take all your best gear to a cave/nether and fall into lave and lose everything. you will choke on disbelief.

Reactions: Sigma85