Your ideas for progress in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PureEvil

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I would like to ask you what are your favourite/usual/unusual ways to progress while playing FTB? I'd like to try something new as my route is always something like that:

1. Finding shelter
2. Mining
3. Setting up TE machines
4. Trip to nether->Pumping up Lava to the Overworld (later)
5. Lava based power (MJ, IC2)
6. Setting up AE system

Post your routes and ideas here :)
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Jess887cp

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I would like to ask you what are your favourite/usual/unusual ways to progress while playing FTB? I'd like to try something new as my route is always something like that:

1. Finding shelter
2. Mining
3. Setting up TE machines
4. Trip to nether->Pumping up Lava to the Overworld (later)
5. Lava based power (MJ, IC2)
6. Setting up AE system

Post your routes and ideas here :)
Thanks in advance.
"Something new."

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
For me is
1. Mine
2. Build a 9 by 9
3. TE Machines
4. Lava
5. IC2 Power
6. Gather resources and power for AE
7. Build a better home
8. Quarry
9. Mass Fab
8. GraviSuite

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
1. Dig a hovel
2. Mine for hours
3. Make generator and basic ic2 machines
3. Make a main house
4. Make sustainable energy
5. Make sorting system/storage system
6. Automate ore processing
7. Quarry
8. Do magic
9. Build stuff

Sent from a rich kids phone that I stole. (I'll regift it soon)

neiromaru

Jul 29, 2019
It could be fun to see how much you can do without ever going underground.
You could get some bees going and use honey for power.
Gather ore bushes for the occasional bit of metal.
Travel and loot temples and other structures for other stuff. etc.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
For me lately, it's been some variation of:

- Mine
- Go to Nether
- Get Ghast tear
- Make Safari Net
- Capture Wither Skeleton
- Use Wither Autospawner to make Wither Soul Shard
- Set up Grinder to send Wither Coal to a Boiler
- ???
- PROFIT

I've had so many "Genocide Builds" that pumping lava would be new and unusual for me.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
My way in Unleashed so far:

1) make a bed asap
2) skip every night using that bed while exploring for hours and collecting resources along the way
3) once I find a nice place make a small home
4) set up farms for all kinds of stuff I picked up while exploring (trees, berries, cotton, barley/wheat, cactus, etc)
5) make some basic TiC tools
6) go mining/caving
7) use those resources to get tier 2 TiC tools (Hammer, Lumber Axe, Excavator, Scythe, just wood/stone versions of those)
7) build TE machines
8) build MFR tree farm (atm I'm going for a BoP Willow tree farm (they seem to be pretty good on "saplings per tree" count) and I'm going to use a fruit picker on BoP apple trees for Fruit Juice and Mulch).

And that's pretty much as far as I've gotten so far. My next plan is to setup an ore berry farm as I've got quite a few bushes, automating my other farms and then looking into automated mining. I also do Thaumcraft stuff in between all that after settling down.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Every time I start a new map, I make primary use of a mod I haven't before and incorporate the new mod in many of my builds.

In my current world, it's Minefactory Reloaded. I have an MFR tree farm I am using for the beginning power source, and using many of the MFR machines. I am using conveyor belts and item routers for a few things. It's my first time using them for item routing.

My main power source is steam based. I use GT, and the new versions of GT have a steam upgrade for the machines. I have been running a 12HP solid fueled boiler, and just fired up a 36HP liquid boiler running off creosote oil and ethanol. (I should now be able to run Tier 2 GT machines continuously.)

I've researched everything in Thaumcraft and Thaumic Tinkerer, (I made my first full suite of thaumium armor.)

I have an AE based network now with auto-crafting. (Helps a lot with all the nested GT recipes.)

I made a working elevator using MFR.

I have an oreberry farm for a bunch of my ore needs now. I can also generate lava to centrifuge for gold, silver, copper and tin, and iron through obsidian and the industrial electolizer.

I haven't actually been mining for quite some time, although I am getting low on iron. Lead is also a problem.

My goal is to build the GT distillation tower, and finish incorporating my other golem farms into my network. I plan on eventually having 4 36HP boilers going for my base, but not even close to that yet.

That's my list for this map. Next map (1.6) will likely be something entirely new.

sir_schwick

Jul 29, 2019
This is my current playstyle on the Enhanced Adventures 3rd Party Pack.

1. Survive first few nights in dirt hovel.
2. Make set of Stone/Flint based TC gear and really cheap armor.
3. Travel until I find new site close to interesting generated structures.
4. Create shaft mine and get resources for Iron and above based gear.
5. Travel again until I find cool site to build larger complex.
6. Alternate between building up base complex and going on caving/overworld/nether trips.
7. Provision to set up satellite bases in cool locations and build nether transport network between these satellites and the main base.
8. Explore until I decide to live RL.

PureEvil

Jul 29, 2019
And that's pretty much as far as I've gotten so far. My next plan is to setup an ore berry farm as I've got quite a few bushes, automating my other farms and then looking into automated mining. I also do Thaumcraft stuff in between all that after settling down.

That's interesting, I wonder how many ingots would a farm like this yield over a given amount of time in comparison with a quarry (in general, is it worth doing?) How would you set it up? Golems?

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
That's interesting, I wonder how many ingots would a farm like this yield over a given amount of time in comparison with a quarry (in general, is it worth doing?) How would you set it up? Golems?

I don't think it'll be anywhere near quarry levels of resource income unless you've got stacks upon stacks of bushes. I mean they produce at a decent speed but it's only nuggets and some bushes are so rare you'll never have a huge amount of them (e.g. gold bushes seem to be rarer than diamonds to me). They are however a lot cheaper in power requirements, you won't have tons of junk to deal with, you'll have practically 0 maintenance on it (compared to a quarry you'll need move sooner or later) and otherwise they'll just be sitting in my chests anyway.
Afaik you can use Golems and that was my initial plan, but MFR Harvesters also work so I'm thinking about using those instead. If I would go with Golems I would have to design the farm to be safe for them (the bushes hurt on touch and can potentially kill the golems) while giving them good access to reach the bushes, while with MFR I can just plop down a harvester and never have to worry about either of those issues. On the other hand Golems require no power and have a bigger harvesting range (MFR only does a 1 high 3x3 without upgrades, so upgrading is pretty much mandatory).

So yeah, I think it's worth doing as it won't take much time to set up, but it won't be sufficient for all your needs by a long shot.

Reactions: PureEvil

luxury

Jul 29, 2019
1: Make a bed, set spawn never skip night
2: Dig
3: Make expensive machines and all that jazz
4: Start automation
5: I'm currently a third of my way to actually making a shelter..... i got caught up with all the shiny stuff :3

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
My standard method:
1. Roam to gather loot/find somewhere to live
2. Set up house, bed, storage, furnaces, etc.
3. Mine for a bit.
4. Ore Processing.
5. Automation.
6. Storage Methods.
7. Set up production for lesser mods (i.e. the ones I'm not looking at for the moment).

My current go-to first step is the smeltery. I usually see how long I can go without making proper power infrastructure.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I play FTB in a very vanilla fashion.

1. Mine
2.Automate ore processor
3. Build useless stuff everywhere.

I never have a route, because a route implies a destination. I don't care for destinations, because, like hiking, it's the path you take that matters most.
OP, I like your avatar, btw. SAO is classy as hell.

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
Dig a hidy-hole
Go caving
Make iron furnace/quartz grind stone
Branch minig/MOAR caving
Make TE ore processing/clockwork engine
Pump lava from the nether/auto processing
Make classic 9x9 with delux 5 rooms
Set up AE network
Make MFR farms(wood, potato/wheat/nether wart, mushroom)
Make 3 36LP boilers
Start getting those pink blops
Quantum/gravichest
Bee breeding(made melon farm for seeds)

this was my 152ngt/unleashed play