Xp Farm Tactics?

lavieen

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been trying to build a xp farm, and I got a few questions.

1. Do autonomous activators drop xp from killed mobs?
2. If not, than what can?
3. What's the best design for the mob farms?

Thanks!!

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
1. yes, use vacuum hopper to turn it to liquid XP or Sewer to turn it to mob essence...
2. Grinder produces mob essence, turtle/AA/Dynamism Tablet will drop XP orbs
3. I'm a fan of cursed earth with fans combined with conveyors blowing mobs into a shaft and grinders at the bottom

Welcome

Reactions: RedBoss

lavieen

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm using mod spawners to spawn the mobs onto conveyors but the mobs aren't spawning. Is there a certain things on mob spawners, like distance away from player?

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm using mod spawners to spawn the mobs onto conveyors but the mobs aren't spawning. Is there a certain things on mob spawners, like distance away from player?
Just a guess, but do you have the Spawner level with the Conveyors? MFR Spawners need to be one level above MFR conveyors for the Spawners to work.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013

Okay, just a question, did you mean mob spawners or mod spawners? I ask because you don't mention what mod you are using (MFR, RoC), and if you are using regular mob spawners, there is a difference.
Regular vanilla mob spawners still use the vanilla mechanics. Player position means something to them. Mod spawners like the MFR autospawner can/do ignore the distance to player rule, as demonstrated in many videos.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Also mobs can't "naturally" (that includes vanilla spawners I think) spawn on MFR conveyor belts.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
if you purely need experience and don't really need the mob drops, I suggest setting up an essence bush farm.
you can boost the growing speed of essence bushes with things like Blood Magic and Thaumcraft and you can turn the essence berries into experience through activators, and you can then pick up the experience either through vacuum hoppers for liquid xp or sewers for mob essence.
though it does require you to first find the essence bushes, unless you've ex nihilo/aliquo installed

Gamingmaster01

Jul 29, 2019
Conveyors are 7/8 of a block so mobs don't spawn on them, as for cursed earth ignores player distant, normal mob spawning is you can't be within 20 blocks, 32 blocks will spawn but have a very small chance to de spawn, 128 blocks(something around there) they won't spawn and if your that far away they automatically absolutely de spawn, your best choice would be to have a normal drop with cursed earth and conveyers, drop so they have half a heart at least and then conveyer them to a autonomous activator with a extra utilities sword made of unstable ingots since it doesn't take damage(or a stick just make sure its on hitting mode) then collect the mob essence with a vacuum hopper and pump it into a rail craft tank and have that either go to a openblocks tank or a xpshower, with a lever or else it goes infinitely, also have essence berry collecting in the backround so if your ever for some reason out of xp, then you have a quick backup

From the wolf master!! *insert wolf sound here*

lavieen

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm using vanilla spawners for now. And how do you get cursed earth?

Edit: I know now.

Last edited:

Protocurity

Jul 29, 2019
If you have forbidden magic (thaumcraft add on), there's an enchantment that exponentially increases the amount of XP you can get. Its called Educational, and though it may be hard to get on a weapon (Easiest way is through the Osmotic Enchanter from Thaumic Tinkerer), a Sword of the Zephyr with Educational V produces so much experience that I don't know what to do with it. Killing a single blaze gets you 9 levels, and it is so efficient that I didn't bother with an XP grinder. I just turn on a mob spawner, whack a dozen or so enemies with a few swings and then I'm well above 30.

I haven't experimented with dynamism tablets or autonomous activators, but if they retain the enchantments on weapons, then a single educational V sword will cause you to literally drown in experience.

Reactions: madnewmy

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
If you have forbidden magic (thaumcraft add on), there's an enchantment that exponentially increases the amount of XP you can get. Its called Educational, and though it may be hard to get on a weapon (Easiest way is through the Osmotic Enchanter from Thaumic Tinkerer), a Sword of the Zephyr with Educational V produces so much experience that I don't know what to do with it. Killing a single blaze gets you 9 levels, and it is so efficient that I didn't bother with an XP grinder. I just turn on a mob spawner, whack a dozen or so enemies with a few swings and then I'm well above 30.

I haven't experimented with dynamism tablets or autonomous activators, but if they retain the enchantments on weapons, then a single educational V sword will cause you to literally drown in experience.

Soooo, put your killing floor/spot where you stand over top of an openblocks drain and make mob essence for days? Could it keep up with the auto-mob spawner from MFR?
Or am I derping and you are talking 1.7 and I'm talking 1.6.4?