Xeno's Reliquary

Misticblade7

Jul 29, 2019
Naw, x3n0, I actually do intend to give the Alkahestry itself a shot. I like making things difficult for myself. :)

x3n0ph0b3

Jul 29, 2019
Well I just revamped it in 1.0.3 (version A I think) and gave it a slight boost, I cut the loss rate down to 50% instead of 75%, and veered sharply from the EE rates people might be accustomed to. I still probably intend to repurpose Alkahestry once Pahimar implements his new value system for EE3, because I know he's not planning on sticking to the classic exchange rates. (And for the sake of installations where both mods are present, I have to match his values, which would always make Alkahestry pointless in the presence of EE3)

So I'll probably find something else for Alkahestry to do, maybe enhance potions somehow, or some interesting mob effects. I haven't really settled on anything.

Also I just made a change to the name "Clip", someone informed me that's not an accurate term for "the thing you slide into a gun", so it's been changed to Magazine (I never knew that clip was wrong), and I also fixed a recipe derp with cashing in wither skulls for nether stars, where it only gave you 1 instead of 2. I'll be posting it in a second.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be possible to make the exchange rate a config? That way people can play it as is or play it EE3 style with/without EE3.

x3n0ph0b3

Jul 29, 2019
Well the only reason I put Alkahestry in was because I didn't realize how far along the trans system in EE3 already was, and I feel silly for adding it. I guess it could be viewed as a "less forgiving" alchemy system for folks that don't/won't use EE, but can justify it with heavy losses. If I make it configurable, I'd do it with presets, because it seems silly to give people the option of cheating when almost everyone uses NEI.

Still, yeah, I could make it configurable, but like I said, I'll probably end up removing it. EE3's trans system will be better fleshed out than the Alkahest stuff, and really, it was just for me to play with in the interim. I'll have to think about it.

Misticblade7

Jul 29, 2019
Gah! No, x3n0! It's a perfectly useful feature that's well-balanced! It's part of what makes the mod feel like it's independent of Equivalent Exchange, but still plays well with it. I really liked the feel of the whole Alkahestry idea. It seemed to me that Equivalent Exchange's Alchemy was about direct transmutation of materials while Alkahestry was about using fuels to multiply basic materials and breaking down those materials back into their constituent 'fuel' essence. The Reliquary has less of that tech-esque feel of EE (I'm sure EE3 will have some amount of 'machinery', at least the Calcinator) and more of a purely magical feel, and I personally think that the Alkahestry system is a key component of that.

On the other hand, I could just be insane. But why remove perfectly good features? :D

Reactions: QueWhat

x3n0ph0b3

Jul 29, 2019
We'll see, I get the impression that the cost limitation on Alkahestry itself plays nicely with EE's. I don't want to encroach on the alchemy aspects of other mods (TC3 included!) - unless the Reliquary's system serves as a complete disadvantage. Each mod has its own disadvantage in place. EE3's will be sacrifice, TC3's is a pure limitation that doesn't even attempt to encompass all vanilla items, and there's a complex (deliciousssss) system in place to impose severe penalties on people that recklessly attempt transmutations without infrastructure.

I JUST now got to a place in my world where I can finally get blaze rods, I'm about to make my Salamander's Eye. ;D

Pinkishu

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm I like this I think, even with all the tech mods i always lacked a better ranged weapon than a bow. (Yeah, mining laser works to some degree, but not ideal) (Well ok, theres Balkon's Weapon Mod, but eh :p)

x3n0ph0b3

Jul 29, 2019
I'm debating either A) adding a crossbow, B) changing the gun to a crossbow or some combination of the two, involving configurations. Some people can't justify the fact that there's a gun in the mod, but originally the theme of the mod was Undead Slaying (holy hand grenade, "glowing" water, a big cross... etc) and the handgun was a throwback to Hellsing.

With that in mind, I'd much rather KEEP the handgun and let the crossbow be its own item (with similar properties/ammunition powers) and give people the option of disabling the gun in their configs. I think that'd be a much cooler approach for folks that didn't like the idea of using a firearm in a "magic" world.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I sorta view a crossbow being a stealthy weapon. Something deadly and effective, perhaps it being a weapon to stun a monster, or atleast slow it down due to it being shaken from the impact of the weapon. I mean for mob's like spiders and creepers that's a really nice ability, getting away from the deadlytime bomb creeper, or shaking off those ghastly spiders as they screech, and hop, and scale walls.

Reactions: DaNerd27

Misticblade7

Jul 29, 2019
I'm debating either A) adding a crossbow, B) changing the gun to a crossbow or some combination of the two, involving configurations. Some people can't justify the fact that there's a gun in the mod, but originally the theme of the mod was Undead Slaying (holy hand grenade, "glowing" water, a big cross... etc) and the handgun was a throwback to Hellsing.

With that in mind, I'd much rather KEEP the handgun and let the crossbow be its own item (with similar properties/ammunition powers) and give people the option of disabling the gun in their configs. I think that'd be a much cooler approach for folks that didn't like the idea of using a firearm in a "magic" world.

Ha! I thought the handgun was a Hellsing reference, especially given the pretty clear theme of undead-slaying. As best as I can see, the gun is justified by the fact that some of the ammunition has magical qualities, like the Seeker, Ender, Exorcism, Blaze, and Concussive bullets. I wouldn't try to resist the inclusion of an additional ranged weapon, but the handgun is a perfectly logical one. You create magical ammunition, and use gunpowder in a sturdy, handheld creation to launch it at a foe.

And, definitely, the best "Lolwut" easy way of doing it would be to have a config, like:

#Replace Hunter's Handgun with Crossbow (default 0, change to 1 to enable)
B:replaceHandgun=0

And it would rename it to Hunter's Crossbow and give it a different texture, keeping the same recipes.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I installed Reliquary! :D And I also installed Factorization because I need barrels, and upgraded Thermal Expansion manually since the MW pack version is missing some bug/exploit fixes, so I never actually got around to trying out Reliquary at all :( But maybe today...

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I have a request\suggestion, if possible either from a coding standpoint or a desire to do it could you put in some form of telekinesis item (a coin\wand\hat\card), I asking as atm I'm playing a magic heavy self built pack and I keep missing the ability of the portal gun\gravity gun to move blocks and neither of those really fit a magic theme. If you have no desire to or it's a PITA to code no biggie, I just thought I'd ask.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Altar of alkhestry still doesn't seem to work (tested on 1.0.3c, but it doesn't say anything about this issue in 1.0.3d changelog) I put one in the air without any blocks surrounding it or obstructing sun, fed it with 2 redstone (it started glowing, no more redstone can fit in) and nothing appeared on/near it in about 20 MC days.

BTW gun is awesome and I was waiting for a long time for something like coin of fortune (specially when fixing redstone or pipe contraptions).

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I'd be stepping on iChun's toes, doing something like that. And I might not have the know-how. I'd have to think about it, and talk to iChun first.
Honestly I hadn't thought of that aspect of it, that iChun might feel it was enroaching on his area a bit, if that is the case I really wouldn't want an idea of mine to even possibly be a source of friction within the modding community.
Either way it pans out, thanks for the response and the consideration of the idea.

Edited to add: I was just going to ignore that second comment of yours about the know-how, all I have is your track record to go by but if it is something you decide you want to do and it won't annoy iChun I'm certain you'd work it out.

x3n0ph0b3

Jul 29, 2019
Altar of alkhestry still doesn't seem to work (tested on 1.0.3c, but it doesn't say anything about this issue in 1.0.3d changelog) I put one in the air without any blocks surrounding it or obstructing sun, fed it with 2 redstone (it started glowing, no more redstone can fit in) and nothing appeared on/near it in about 20 MC days.

BTW gun is awesome and I was waiting for a long time for something like coin of fortune (specially when fixing redstone or pipe contraptions).
Interesting, I didn't realize I'd broken them. Somewhere in the midst of one of the previous updates I reduced the redstone cost when I rebalanced glowstone dust to redstone conversions [uber late game conversion].. I must have forgotten to set something else.

Thanks for the bug report, I'll crack it open tonight or tomorrow and see what's up. I've got a lot going on tomorrow so I might not be able to get around to it till later.

JMakAttak3

Jul 29, 2019
Fantastic mod! I love it, and am very excited to see the future updates. ^_^ Thanks, Xeno.

That being said, exactly how dark and mysterious do you feel when you name each of these mod items? lol.

*cue Halloween music and Xeno in his laboratory making the Dark Hatred Tomb-Masked-Death-War-Crusher Sword*

x3n0ph0b3

Jul 29, 2019
alright, I'm updating to 1.4.6, changing some structure under the hood and hopefully fixing the weirdness of the altars, I have no clue how I broke them but I know for sure they were working at some point, so I'm at a loss as to what I changed to break them. I'll get it sorted out and post an update here asap.