Wrath Lamps?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, yes I know this has been discussed a lot before but I have some questions about it and would rather not post in a really old thread.

First, I have fallen in love with wrath lamps as they seem like the only viable light source for large structures as gaseous illuminae produces really odd particle effects every few seconds. Do large numbers of wrath lamps cause horrible lag? They seem to behave a little bit better than before in regards to tree farms and quarrys. Any tips on how to use them? Should I be using them? Any better light sources? Thank you.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
After learning how they work, I opted not to use them, but it's always been one of my complaints that we don't have many good options for large-area lighting solutions. I def understand why you love the wrath lamps.

Edit: My best lighting solutions have been to use OpenBlocks tanks and fill them with lava. Since they connect to each other, you can make columns out of them, put a pattern in the ceiling with them to light the room, etc. And it can double as your lava supply for early-game power too! I've built bases like this and I really liked the look. I've also seen some people make some really nice ceiling lighting with that liquid glowstone but I've never used it.

Last edited:

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
After learning how they work, I opted not to use them, but it's always been one of my complaints that we don't have many good options for large-area lighting solutions. I def understand why you love the wrath lamps.

What do you usually use for lighting options then? The Project red lamps seem to cause me some FPS lag when used in large numbers.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What do you usually use for lighting options then? The Project red lamps seem to cause me some FPS lag when used in large numbers.

I'll just quote from the reddit thread I'm reading, I took this approach for my Monster world.

"I basically just make the push towards placing magnum torches at the 4 corners of my plot of land (~96 blocks apart) in such a way that my home is centered in the middle of the square they make and it gives me a huge spawn free area to use any form of lighting I choose for visual reasons, and not need to worry about functional placement."

And somebody also wrote this, just like I described earlier, "My last base had lava in fluiducts in the walls. Worked very nicely."

Generally, for a basic (kind of boring, functional) build, I'll just go with glowstone blocks either in the ceiling or floor, and I'll checkerboard pattern it somehow. Not a big fan of torches everywhere.

Last edited:

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I was using arcane lamps from TC for lighting, but I noticed they were causing some really horrible fps lag.

Switched to wrath lamps and everything is fine and dandy ... at least for now!

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Wrathlamps can cause problems on servers with grief prevention. I'd like to put extra emphasis on 'can' because it's kind of unpredictable.
I mostly go by the method of magnum torch my area(s) and then only do lighting by appearance. Mostly Project red inverted lamps (all 3 types) and liquid glowstone in liquiducts. Used to use bibliocraft lamps, but those just don't match with my building styles.

Oracle of Wuffing

Jul 29, 2019
The only other large-area lighting I know of are the Greg's Lighting floodlights, but they're probably going to be just as bad as the alternatives you've already tried. Short of single-block, wide lighting options, another trick is to build yourself some handsaws and make some forge microblocks of light-emitting blocks, like glowstone. 1 glowstone block can create 32 glowstone nooks, and each nook shines as brightly as the original block. You could also stop at strips, if you want a continuous line of lighting.
2014-09-19_20.14.07.png

On that note, microblocks don't block light, so you can put a torch behind a microblock, and you'll still have the torch's light.
2014-09-19_20.15.42.png

But it is hard to beat Energized Glowstone from Thermal Expansion if you just wanna be lazy. :p
2014-09-19_20.16.06.png

Reactions: filimaryus

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't found any lights that will light a large area without some adverse effects. I do like the ender IO lights because of the look, but they create the invisible light blocks just like wrath lamps and can cause issues. RoC floodlights seem to have the same issue. Seems MC doesn't like anything that doesn't fit it's vanilla lighting mechanics. I have been doing what others here mentioned. Use magnum torches to control mob spawning and then just light for esthetics. A fairly cheap way is to cut down glowstone blocks to make the tiniest pieces you can so you get alot from each full block. I then cut covers out of my floor or wall material, place glowstone pieces behind them, and cover them up, since FMP microblocks are transparent.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure the reason all large-area lights use the 'light block' method is because normal lighting behavior is hardcoded. Which is dumb.