Wrath Lamp - your experience or alternatives?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Building a massive structure in my Monster SSP world out of marble and I'm experimenting again with wrath lamps. Last used them in 1.4 but had to rip them out due to the massive lag it caused around my base.

Here's a few pics: Looking up at the mezzanine and the dome overhead, views across the floor in debug mode with glowstone nuggets visible in debug mode

I really wanted to avoid torches and floor lamps, and with a magnum torch on place I even considered going for a gloomy feel, but the marble looks so much better illuminated.

So, have they improved heaps or do you still use them sparingly? Any other solutions worth considering? Thanks.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I assume you mean FPS or TPS issues, not "lag"? I don't see how they would cause server side lag. I would imagine hundreds of torches would be harder on the client side to render.

I have 4 of them in my world with no issues.

groundhog

Jul 29, 2019
Building a massive structure in my Monster SSP world out of marble and I'm experimenting again with wrath lamps. Last used them in 1.4 but had to rip them out due to the massive lag it caused around my base.

Here's a few pics: Looking up at the mezzanine and the dome overhead, views across the floor in debug mode with glowstone nuggets visible in debug mode

I really wanted to avoid torches and floor lamps, and with a magnum torch on place I even considered going for a gloomy feel, but the marble looks so much better illuminated.

So, have they improved heaps or do you still use them sparingly? Any other solutions worth considering? Thanks.

I havent tried anything on that scale but found no issues with wrath lamps in 1.64

wow, that's an impressive amout of marble. can we have a look at the exterior please?

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I assume you mean FPS or TPS issues, not "lag"? I don't see how they would cause server side lag. I would imagine hundreds of torches would be harder on the client side to render.
I have 4 of them in my world with no issues.

yes, I meant fps. good point about spamming torches, however you can see here all of the invisible light source blocks it generates.

I havent tried anything on that scale but found no issues with wrath lamps in 1.64
wow, that's an impressive amout of marble. can we have a look at the exterior please?

sure, from the outside:
during construction http://i.imgur.com/cDgjIWL.png the base is 4x3 chunks - 10 blocks up to the mezzanine and another 30 to the domed ceiling.
ground floor external windows finished http://i.imgur.com/WexV5G4.png
starting to mess around with the external columns and the roof http://i.imgur.com/hE7VN31.png -

I mined all that marble by hand while exploring (still havent run a quarry since Mindcrack) - over two full barrels before I stopped counting.

Last edited:

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
here you go ... just take your regular stairs and hit them with a wrench to rotate them sideways

plus my base faces east-west, so you get this lovely view of the sunrise and setting :)

9b74es4.png

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
There's a mod (sorry, can't remember what it's called) made by the author of SGCraft which is just a floodlight. Basically the same as a Wrath Lamp but it just needs a ton of glowstone per light. More of an industrial feel and is a solid block.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have used Wrathlamps in droves in lots of builds and never noticed any problems. It has up to date been my favourite method of lighting.
You can see many examples of me using them here:
http://imgur.com/a/dSMKv
As you can see I use them for vast exterior areas, overlapping areas, interiors. Everywhere where I need a large area lit.

Just make sure to place them 8 blocks away from anything that needs to grow. Their invisible lightsources can interfere with growth of crops and saplings etc.

Reactions: Giddimani

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 4 has Arcane Lamps, which many seem to ignore and go straight for the "upgraded" versions of 'em. Within a decent radius they add the occasional "magic light" source, which make things bright enough that mobs don't spawn. It doesn't flood the world with light, nor does it use some kind of "light air" block you can't find or break, but all in all it's really useful.
Plus they look great, since they can attach to floors, walls, and ceilings with unique meshes for each. Well, variants of the same thing, but still.

Lordtazou

Jul 29, 2019
I have never experienced lag/performance issues while using Wrath Lamps. HOWEVER, I have heard that placing a few in an area close together could cause weird lighting but I have never experienced that either.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
yes, I meant fps. good point about spamming torches, however you can see here all of the invisible light source blocks it generates.

sure, from the outside:
during construction http://i.imgur.com/cDgjIWL.png the base is 4x3 chunks - 10 blocks up to the mezzanine and another 30 to the domed ceiling.
ground floor external windows finished http://i.imgur.com/WexV5G4.png
starting to mess around with the external columns and the roof http://i.imgur.com/hE7VN31.png -

I mined all that marble by hand while exploring (still havent run a quarry since Mindcrack) - over two full barrels before I stopped counting.

You know.... if you removed that roof... totally have a Jedi temple goin there.

Reactions: Mevansuto

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I remember Wrath Lamps and Arcane Lamps having potential problems in the past where they could cause a possible server crash although I never had that problem before. I would say it's safe although I don't really use large numbers of each.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
You know.... if you removed that roof... totally have a Jedi temple goin there.

but, but ... it's where I'm setting up my thaumcraft space :)

They fixed that a couple of versions ago...

Great - was hoping that was the case, but once bitten, twice shy. They do work so well it would've been a shame to abandon them. Appreciate the feedback

Thaumcraft 4 has Arcane Lamps, which many seem to ignore and go straight for the "upgraded" versions of 'em. Within a decent radius they add the occasional "magic light" source, which make things bright enough that mobs don't spawn. It doesn't flood the world with light, nor does it use some kind of "light air" block you can't find or break, but all in all it's really useful.
Plus they look great, since they can attach to floors, walls, and ceilings with unique meshes for each. Well, variants of the same thing, but still.

Sounds like they're worth trying out, once I get them researched. Thanks for the tip. Maybe when I'm done building I will experiment with those to create a better ambience. With a magnum torch now in place, mob spawns arent the headache they were early on...

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Just a word on the arcane lamps: they use the same general method that the wrath lamp uses (invisible light block) but as others said the issues of using those are as resolved as they can get.

Also: Nice use of what i presume is chisel. Makes me want to install it again and maybe do something fancy with my base instead of just making another tower.