Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I was more thinking, a little more simple, without having to build a full size reactor with somewhat complex fuel generating setup...
It doesn't have to be a full size. Even a smallish one would do.
Either that or just spam gas turbines.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Reactorcraft reactor. :3
This.
Seriously, even the smallest of reactors, a 2x2 square of cores surrounded by boilers, clock in the 50-100MW range. A ring of 8 cores gave me a range of 300-600MW, (reactor output tends to vary a lot due to the randomness of neutrons) and did so in a surprisingly compact package. Additionally, the fuel lasts a ridiculous amount of time, and if you use breeder fuel you get even more fuel per uranium ingot! (Though,you also have more radioactive waste to deal with, assuming you're not the type of player who would just chuck it all in a nullifier) On top of that, if you have Thermal Expansion you can convert the power into RF, so you don't have to spend it all at once.

Okula

Jul 29, 2019
we loosing the point here im affraid, or im just stupid reading ..

What gears / Motor / Roter / Shaft something should i use to get the torque / power required to lower the production time.
The Reactor produces power.. yes i get that.. what is the next link that provides the needed torque and shaft power to provide a magnet production time less than 4 sec??
// Reactor -> "Something" -> Compactor

Okula

Jul 29, 2019
Bedrock shafts are a must for reactors. Diamond might(might!) work.

So what u are saying is i hook up a bedrock shaft to a reactor and then connect a compactor...

i must be dumb at explaining what i need or simply ppl dont understand

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
So what u are saying is i hook up a bedrock shaft to a reactor and then connect a compactor...

No, it's just that reactors produce that much torque and speed. If you must, you can use a CVT unit set to turn it all into torque/speed if it makes you feel better.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Reika.. Question. Crafting Magnets with the Compactor.
To get an acceptable speed on the Compactor, what should i use as engine/power ?
I managed to get it down to 4.45 sec per magnet, with a Jet Engine and two 2x Gear, but with the amount of magnets needed, I need it lower.
I managed in creative mode with the Industrial Coil to get it to 0.75 sec a magnet, but I also know that would require loads of Torque and speed I do not have in Survival.
I "think" I tried all combos of machines available, but have not found a setup that could deliver less than 4.45 sec/magnet in Survival Mode.
Any Help ? Pls. :)

People are misleading you.

The solution to "not enough torque" or "not enough speed" is not "build engine with higher base output", but to use gearboxes.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
People are misleading you.

The solution to "not enough torque" or "not enough speed" is not "build engine with higher base output", but to use gearboxes.
I assumed he already knew how to use Gearboxes, so I figured the problem was not enough power.

Well, actually personally I would convert it to RF first, so that you're not wasting any power, then use a Magnetostatic to set power consumption.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Hey reika I saw your "waste management" video and I thought, hmm, there should be a way to turn that into more power. I did some research and I found this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_wave_reactor. Traveling wave reactors are backed by real science (as well as bill gates, he's poured millions into research). Basically they take the refuse of modern reactors and through a set of processes I don't fully understand can turn that into a non-radioactive tube that can produce heat for 40-60 years. Thoughts?

Reactions: Padfoote

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Dynamos are capped at 8192Nm @ 8192 rad/s.
Right. In my test world, I had to use eight dynamos for that 8-core ring reactor, and still wasted a bit during peak production...

Hey reika I saw your "waste management" video and I thought, hmm, there should be a way to turn that into more power. I did some research and I found this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_wave_reactor. Traveling wave reactors are backed by real science (as well as bill gates, he's poured millions into research). Basically they take the refuse of modern reactors and through a set of processes I don't fully understand can turn that into a non-radioactive tube that can produce heat for 40-60 years. Thoughts?
This yes this please.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
This could be a bit interesting, but you can currently generate power with a spent fuel container.

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
Sort of like the RadioIsotope generator from IC2(3?)?

Caithleen

Jul 29, 2019
Humm, i dont really get the van den Graafs to work properly. They really like to insta-bbq me rather then powering the magnets or pipe.

Anyone has some working values on them ? (Monster 1.1.0/survival)

No matter how many (1-4) i use and how much power im giving them (up to 4 maxed magnetostatic) they make a gap on the magnet before the next Graaf.

And i tripple-checked rotation and setup, rebuild the solenoid after and they are beeing used fine if i lower the number of Graafs...

Last edited:

MUSE_iC

Jul 29, 2019
Humm, i dont really get the van den Graafs to work properly. They really like to insta-bbq me rather then powering the magnets or pipe.

Anyone has some working values on them ? (Monster 1.1.0/survival)

No matter how many (1-4) i use and how much power im giving them (up to 4 maxed magnetostatic) they make a gap on the magnet before the next Graaf.

And i tripple-checked rotation and setup, rebuild the solenoid after and they are beeing used fine if i lower the number of Graafs...

Im having issues with this as well..

Reika in your pic and in your tutorial video it looks like you only used one vdg to supply the toroids. Is that right or are there some that arent showing? How much torque and speed is it being supplied with? In the pic it also looks like youre using 4 vdg to supply all of the magnetic pipes is that also all of them? Or again is there some that arent shown and again how much torque and speed is being used?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Im having issues with this as well..

Reika in your pic and in your tutorial video it looks like you only used one vdg to supply the toroids. Is that right or are there some that arent showing? How much torque and speed is it being supplied with? In the pic it also looks like youre using 4 vdg to supply all of the magnetic pipes is that also all of them? Or again is there some that arent shown and again how much torque and speed is being used?
I used 67MW of power, which is more than necessary. The details of the setup are up to you.

Teleclast

Jul 29, 2019
I love the idea here, but I don't like it having to be built exact, I'd love it if you could at least have 2-3 different variations, even if this one would be the most effective.

Reactions: abculatter_2

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I love the idea here, but I don't like it having to be built exact, I'd love it if you could at least have 2-3 different variations, even if this one would be the most effective.
You can have variations. You are free to choose the number of injectors, the absorber and boiler layout, water supply, steam line design, and preheater placement.

Reactions: Teleclast