Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
A thousand times this.

I agree that things like time travel, wormholes, teleportation, invisibility, and so on are actually technically possible. However, they all either require extremely advanced tech - invisibility requires nanotech, for example - or ludicrous power requirements. I am willing to fudge scales when it comes to gameplay mechanics - such as not making the player unable to carry 7800kg of steel - but not when it comes to mod internals.

That said, I could theoretically make a third mod, but that is a lot of work.

Answering the earlier question, somewhere in between. It does not have to actually be fully developed in the real world - tokamaks are not, either - but it does have to fully obey all the known laws of physics and not feel like something from Star Wars/Trek (whichever is the one with the planet laser).

How about a ground based high energy photon emitter for deorbiting space rocks to attain metals and minerals. You would need a trajectory computer to track the space rocks, and a lot of power to deorbit space rocks over time. It would not be a fast process, but the amount of power needed would be massive to deorbit anything with significant mass.

Maybe the photon emitter has to be placed at the build limit to simulate a geosyncronously orbiting sattellite powered by a microwave laser that the satellite hovers over to power said photon emitter. All of that obeys the laws of physics, and uses currently existent technology. More importantly, it uses lasers.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
How about a ground based high energy photon emitter for deorbiting space rocks to attain metals and minerals. You would need a trajectory computer to track the space rocks, and a lot of power to deorbit space rocks over time. It would not be a fast process, but the amount of power needed would be massive to deorbit anything with significant mass.

Maybe the photon emitter has to be placed at the build limit to simulate a geosyncronously orbiting sattellite powered by a microwave laser that the satellite hovers over to power said photon emitter. All of that obeys the laws of physics, and uses currently existent technology. More importantly, it uses lasers.
This is not something for a mod with no electricity or computers.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Well
I have been contemplating in my idle moments, a kind of "transport tycoon" based mod, that would build autogenerated citites at the sites of villages. Extrapolate the # of actual inhabitants, to create a demand for various commodities. Place some kind of "point of presence" block in the radius of such a city and you could trade it things.

One such block, placed near a city, might be called a "transformer" (i.e. of the kind that steps down transmission voltages for delivery to households). Pump power into the transformer, and it gets converted into emeralds (or some other mod specific rate of exchange item) that can be extracted - well, up to the total demand of the transformer.

So, the larger city you build, filled with testificates, the more cash you can make supplying that cities growing needs. And it becomes a massive sink for all that excess grain and other resources your automatic farming & mining etc is producing.

In scope far beyond anything I can produce. But, potentially, an incentive to build cities, build transportation between citites, and entire industries to drive it all. And a place to sink all that excess power.

What else can a tokamak power? In the context of just the player? A better automatic diamonds from dust machine? Even faster, more effective, automatic mining?

Reactions: Pyure

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Tesla coils.

A tokamak would run power to a giant transmitter.

This would allow induction engines, placed *anywhere* (given r² dropoff) to draw power from the field.

All based on proper physics and it would make Tesla proud.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I would have thought that telsa coils - to convert rotary power into emf, and induction motors, to convert emf into rotary power - would be a good fit for Rotarycraft.

milkman

Jul 29, 2019

This guy needs to make a mod

Reactions: kaovalin

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like "what do we use that power for" is the current problem a lot of mods have. Minecraft seems to have two central problems to solve: a.) Survival and b.) Resource scarcity. The problem of power systems like this one is that they are only feasible when both these problems have already been solved. Resource generation is always the obvious candidate, but resource generation is unnecessary at this point, and if you can generate anything, you make too many gameplay mechanics redundant. A powerful force field is interesting, but there needs to be a threat that necessitates that kind of defense - which doesn't quite exist, even with modded MC there are no mobs that destroy bases (for obvious reasons, though it might still be fun if there were).

So basically, the existing core mechanics have no need for a higher level of power. You'd need to introduce a new mechanic, for which this power is a possible (though ideally not the only) solution. I would really like to see some civilization building sim, but I doubt this fits in with the realism tenet. A frames machine with an actually appropriate energy consumption would be fun (wanna move that mountain? Well, you could...), but programming that kind of functionality (I think it's called a block grid entity?) is probably the hardest thing you could do in Minecraft.

vernes

Jul 29, 2019
I thought of something realistic that eats tons of power:

An electric metal smelter.
And I see there are induction and simple current smelters.
These things are huge and look like they eat tons of power.

Sort of like a realistic version of TC's Smeltery.

Has the same usability: mass smelting, mixing, etc.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The all-in-one nature of the extractor defeats this.

I, personally, think that Aluminium should be an end-game metal only available AFTER massive amounts of power are available to run the thermal electrolosis process required to split alumina into aluminium.

Reactions: Tadayoshi

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The all-in-one nature of the extractor defeats this.

I, personally, think that Aluminium should be an end-game metal only available AFTER massive amounts of power are available to run the thermal electrolosis process required to split alumina into aluminium.
That would kill TiC.

It seems like "what do we use that power for" is the current problem a lot of mods have. Minecraft seems to have two central problems to solve: a.) Survival and b.) Resource scarcity. The problem of power systems like this one is that they are only feasible when both these problems have already been solved. Resource generation is always the obvious candidate, but resource generation is unnecessary at this point, and if you can generate anything, you make too many gameplay mechanics redundant. A powerful force field is interesting, but there needs to be a threat that necessitates that kind of defense - which doesn't quite exist, even with modded MC there are no mobs that destroy bases (for obvious reasons, though it might still be fun if there were).

So basically, the existing core mechanics have no need for a higher level of power. You'd need to introduce a new mechanic, for which this power is a possible (though ideally not the only) solution.
I largely agree. However, there are two issues. First is that a change to vanilla mechanics is not something I am willing to do - it is one of the easiest ways to destroy the "feel" of the game, and I have ensured that RotaryCraft feels more vanilla than most other tech mods. More importantly, there is the fact that such mechanics would always be present, and as such be a near-insurmountable problem before you have the power.
Example: A long time ago, there was a mod that was being developed that added massively overpowered swords, weapons, tools, and armor, dealing 1000 hearts of damage or mining blocks in a tick or protecting you from 99.9% of damage. The thing is, what kind of use do these have in vanilla? So they added a whole bunch of mobs and gave them health to match (even common mobs often had 5000 hearts or more) and had them deal tens or hundreds of hearts of damage. Now imagine starting a world with that mod without any of these tools or armor.

I would really like to see some civilization building sim, but I doubt this fits in with the realism tenet. A frames machine with an actually appropriate energy consumption would be fun (wanna move that mountain? Well, you could...), but programming that kind of functionality (I think it's called a block grid entity?) is probably the hardest thing you could do in Minecraft.
You are probably thinking of TileEntities. It is not so much that it is difficult as that it is dangerous. TileEntities were never designed to be able to be moved, and the fact they store all sorts of data, much of it location-dependent, means you are highly likely to corrupt your world. This is why the force wrench and frames have such a bad reputation (and why you should never, ever, ever try to move an RC machine "whole").

Reactions: Blorph

Tadayoshi

Jul 29, 2019
The idea is amazing; Love it
I would like to see a Backed up dam with water turbines in Minecraft. I've actually mentioned this on IRC FTB :) , I'm going to set work building a model in MC to see if it could be done as a dummy model ( no actual modding involved )
Cheers Tadayoshi

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
That would kill TiC.

So what? I'm playing Rotarycraft. :p

TiC (and a number of other mods) have introduced a completely indefensible aluminium processing pipeline and TiC has made it worse by inverting the relationship in processing of aluminium and alumite.

Seriously though, I can see why greg went the (widely reviled) road he did - how ARE you supposed to create a sane, balanced mod, using logical progressions based on physics when other mods have set such appalling precedents - other mods that people will expect to use in the same mod pack.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So what? I'm playing Rotarycraft. :p

TiC (and a number of other mods) have introduced a completely indefensible aluminium processing pipeline and TiC has made it worse by inverting the relationship in processing of aluminium and alumite.

Seriously though, I can see why greg went the (widely reviled) road he did - how ARE you supposed to create a sane, balanced mod, using logical progressions based on physics when other mods have set such appalling precedents - other mods that people will expect to use in the same mod pack.
I do not concern myself with other mods except on issues of integration or interaction.

Reactions: kaovalin

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
By calling it a total conversion mod and outright stating that it isn't meant to be used with most mods. Those mods just don't work in modpacks.

Rotary isn't what I'd call full conversion though, it's a standalone mod: one that doesn't really fit into any of the established ecosystems but instead has its own, much like AM2.