Would you build this?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Would you build this?

• Total voters

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The forum is eating my link, skip to about 19 minutes in
Assuming it works realistically, as is the theme with Reika's mods, the process should go something like:
  1. Collect naturally-occuring heavy water as above
  2. Electrolyze it into deuterium and oxygen
  3. Run some of the deuterium through the a fusion reactor in place of one or more neutron absorbers*
  4. Pump the deuterium you made from heavy water electrolysis and tritum you made from deuterium radiation into the plasma heating apparatus
  5. Pump the plasma into the fusion reactor to generate neutrons
  6. Repeat
* Note that this reduces efficiency because the neutrons produced by tritium/deuterium fusion are going towards converting 2H to 3H (very basic knowledge of nuclear physics would have you know that "hydrogen" typically refers to hydrogen-1, or protium, which is an atom composed of one proton and one electron; deuterium is hydrogen-2, an atom of one proton, one neutron and one electron; finally, tritium is hydrogen-3, one proton, two neutrons and one electron) instead of heating the neutron absorbers to produce steam for power generation.

I haven't delved very far into Reactorcraft, so I don't know exactly what percentage of neutron absorbers need to be replaced with whatever block is used for deuterium radiation, so it may end up being much more efficient to build a separate, smaller fission reactor for tritium production, but a completely automated fuel production system should theoretically be possible with just a fusion reactor by itself.

Also, since I'm not sure exactly how the deuterium to tritium conversion works, it might be the case that you'd need something like an inner ring of deuterium radiation boxes rather than directly replacing the neutron absorbers. I'd go figure it out, but I won't have access to a machine capable of running even vanilla Minecraft for the next few days.
You are almost entirely correct. The only thing is that the neutron irradiation chamber is designed to be used inside fission reactors, but it can be used inside a fusion one.

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
this is my profile pic! its awesome! but not in a billion years would i DARE build such a epic creation. id proably fail and have my neighbors house erupt in plasma flame, but ill try.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Wait wait wait... we're going for entire realism? Then shouldn't you only be able to hold fusion for a few seconds as you can in real life.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
That, Reika, is a thing of glory. I wonder how many Mekanism hydrogen gens it'd take to fuel that bad boy...at default settings, of course. As for what to use all that power on? ALL THE THINGS, of course. Digital miners out the arse in multiple dimensions, an entire high-efficiency RotaryCraft-based ore processing plant, and why not use it to power an AE quantum bridge server room for an entire server?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Wait wait wait... we're going for entire realism? Then shouldn't you only be able to hold fusion for a few seconds as you can in real life.
Realism as in adherence to real physics (as in "this could theoretically be built"), not as in "this actually has been built in the real world".

That, Reika, is a thing of glory. I wonder how many Mekanism hydrogen gens it'd take to fuel that bad boy...at default settings, of course. As for what to use all that power on? ALL THE THINGS, of course. Digital miners out the arse in multiple dimensions, an entire high-efficiency RotaryCraft-based ore processing plant, and why not use it to power an AE quantum bridge server room for an entire server?
And still have 20GW of power to spare. :p

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
More like power the entire server?

Gnou__

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely, I've only started experimenting in Rotary Craft but now that I've seen this epic beast, I can't wait to build it!

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
Now I'm tempted to build one of these and wire it up to a friction heater, and seeing what happens... :3