World randomly regenerating

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so the logs disappearing is highly suspect. It's as if your server's entire folder is read-only so nothing gets saved, OR, your server folder is getting reverted to an earlier time for some reason. I think this is probably something Creeperhost will need to assist you with.

Unless you can replicate this problem on a test computer. I don't mean set up your port forwarding and give all your players a new IP to connect to. If you could just download the entire server from Creeperhost intact and without modification to your personal computer, launch it, and then connect to it on the same computer with "localhost", we can determine if the problem is with a mod, or with your host.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
If it's not just chunks resetting but files just disappearing including backups I'd go have a chat with your hoster. Sounds like they messed something up. Which CreeperHost package do you have?

Draylynn

Jul 29, 2019
The world saves fine... if you force it to (/save-all).
This problem has carried across multiple hosts and multiple pieces of our hardware (albeit the first one did have a genuine issue).

The first time I saw the problem the world had inherited ever lasting rain and thunder, no matter what the level.dat edits did, it ignored my changes and continued on. It also insisted on logging players in with empty inventories and creative mode (yet the server was saving the player.dat files when they logged out) I thought at the time this was due to faulty hardware that popped up whilst we were investigating it, so I transferred him to a closer data centre and setup his server again from scratch, this time with MCPC+ which stopped the leaks occurring and stabilized the RAM.

The second time I reset it up, I ran on pure FTB (no MCPC etc) and fixed up the leaking, it again inherited ever lasting rain and thunder. Again, the level.dat's were ignored and after 5 mins, the rain started and continued for hours. Over time the chunks began resetting and wrongly locating.
The first two attempts were done on FTB Unleashed 1.1.4.

The third time, I switched to DW20 (default server software), fixed up the world leaks with PermGEN changes (128MB), regenerated the world from scratch, reduced the amount of chunks loaded (view distance) .
It ran fine for 2 days, I thought "yay, finally fixed!"... Then Solex came back.
Now chunks are wrongly locating and regenerating again, from I can presume (from the information I have been given), these are occurring whilst the players are actively entering and leaving the view distance of the effected chunks. Villages are also extremely common and spawning 'everywhere'.
With this new information I'm starting to eyeball Mystcraft which has the Eternal Rain, Eternal Thunder and Villagers symbols, for the possibility somehow that may be involved. OR the possibility that somehow their connection could be causing it, which would be a first in my books.

During the entire time, the only errors that ever showed up were 'world leaking detected'. The DW20 pack had no leaks.

It sounds like the saving routines (every 3mins/player logout) are screwing up, but it's beyond me why this is happening, on multiple mod packs, so fast, so frequently and across multiple server locations, only for this poor guy.
I don't struggle with many servers when it comes to fixing them, but this guy has landed a right ticket on my desk. >.o

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
When I ran my server I used to watch the server console a lot, mainly to find bugs/crashes and the like. I also saw chunks being relocated, not through crashing but the server though they were in the wrong place and relocated them. When I eventually went to the place when it was relocating chunks it was like a checkboard of biomes. This place had never been inhabited or visited before (although I can't 100% confirm that), there were definitely no players living here or anywhere about it, in fact it was 75,000m out from the nearest person.

In short it's not your files, not your host, it's likely everyone's server has a biome "graveland" somewhere they just haven't found it.... It's part of the engine/game/plugins (don't know which that causes it).

Draylynn

Jul 29, 2019
Rarely seen a graveland, but these changes are occurring to the currently discovered map (such as spawn and players building areas) and actively changing.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
This ("half the world" resets) can also happen when the region files on-server are getting mangled.