Wondering if this is possible (Redpower)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kerrrigar

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, im fairly new to redpower, and im looking to make a cooldown timer for my reactor. I can make a simple one that turns it on and off with the same time delay, but i was wondering whether i could set it to be on for one set time, and then be turned off for a different set time.

Anyone who could even point me towards which parts i should be using could help, if i make a working circuit ill post it here too.

Thanks in advance

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Its definitely possible with logic gates. Do I know electrical engineering enough to tell you how to do it? no.. With 1.5.2 and MFR programmable rednet controller you could easily setup a program to do it. But it sounds like you are in 1.4.7 Check out some youtube videos on logic gates. That will tell you what you need to know.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, im fairly new to redpower, and im looking to make a cooldown timer for my reactor. I can make a simple one that turns it on and off with the same time delay, but i was wondering whether i could set it to be on for one set time, and then be turned off for a different set time.

Anyone who could even point me towards which parts i should be using could help, if i make a working circuit ill post it here too.

Thanks in advance
If you want it to turn on after a set amount of time then off after a different set of time, here:
Button leading to pulse Former leading to Wire leading to Timer. Set Timer.
Timer leads to Toggle Latch. Open side of Toggle Latch leads to Wire leading to Original Timer.
Other side of Toggle Latch is wired to another Timer, so when the Toggle Switches, the Second Timer turns on.
That Timer is also wired to the Toggle Latch.
Both Timers should also lead to yet another Toggle Latch which is wired to the Reactor.
Pictures soon.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks in advance
you will need 2 timers and a toggle latch.
you need to wire them up in a way when 1st timer makes tick, it will send pulse to a toggle latch which will jam 1st timer and unlock 2nd timer, which on tick jam itself via latch and unlock 1st timer.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You're looking for timers and state cells for keeping it on/off for a certain time. Set the timer to the combined amount of time you want it to on + off and set the state cell to the amount of time you want it on.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Picture:
6SePWC1.png

Kerrrigar

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks everyone, Currently using the state cell one as its a lot simpler!

Works great

Timer with total time connected to state cell with uptime connected to the reactor

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks everyone, Currently using the state cell one as its a lot simpler!

Works great

Timer with total time connected to state cell with uptime connected to the reactor
Glad to be of service!

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
There is a good computercraft solution as well that is more space efficient. I'm not that great with LUA but it is trivial to get the computer to turn a redstone on and off for customizable time periods (measured in seconds). I am working on a collection of lua logic gates program with as many logic gates as I can manage. I have been messing about with timers with variable on and off periods. The only thing I haven't got working properly is the ability of the rp timer to be turned off mid cycle. It looks like I might be delving into coroutines.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The only thing I haven't got working properly is the ability of the rp timer to be turned off mid cycle. It looks like I might be delving into coroutines.

Wouldn't it be rather simple to have a loop running that adds 1 second(Or whatever amount of time) to some variable until the variable equals the time specified? If so you could just throw an if redstone signal end or something to that effect. I'm not too versed in lua. If that's not what you meant then yeah ignore it :3

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't it be rather simple to have a loop running that adds 1 second(Or whatever amount of time) to some variable until the variable equals the time specified? If so you could just throw an if redstone signal end or something to that effect. I'm not too versed in lua. If that's not what you meant then yeah ignore it :3

I think that is actually a good solution, certainly simpler than coroutines seem. I think if x = the desired length of the redstone on period, and y = y+1, and z = either true or false depending on if the lever is on or off, then you could have a repeat loop that counts until y = x or
z = true. That sounds like a good way of manually interrupting the timer. I think that there would be an advantage of having an off switch function running parallel to the timer would mean that you wouldn't have to wait up to a second to turn it off (probably not that big a deal most of the time) and it might be more efficient. Correct me if I am wrong (cos I know very little about how programs are executed and what makes a program cpu efficient or whatever), but I think the parallel function method has the advantage of not having to an extra calculation or two every second.

Thanks for the idea though I am going to try and implement that until I figure out the other way.