(WIP) Project X - Survival Wasteland Modpack

darthwesix

Jul 29, 2019
Small experiment with ore gen. Solid blocks are just representing the ore (and other things...) and they will be underground (just easier to see when it's in the sky).
It will be a case of finding an ore deposit, then mining what you need and getting it back to base. These massive clusters actually represent the ratio's of vanilla ore generation. Mining in the overworld is not really the best option as there will be a lot of chunks empty of ores.

2015-09-21_21.02.21.png
wow imagine how much redstone you would get with a fortune pick

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Why would we have to surrender the cities? conflicting worldgen mod?
Yep. I'm using the Wasteland mod which has it's own world gen system which then produces the cities. While I can spawn the biome that cities generate in normal overworld generation, no city generates.
But, I'm happy with the died up ocean look, which doesn't exist in the Wasteland mod, but does exist thanks to some biome tweaking.

One thing I'd recommend if you're planning on using the Ex Nilho sieve, is don't get the player to use it for too long. I don't know about others, but personally I feel way too many packs use it, and it makes all these packs the same old grind to get resources. Either introduce the Ex Astris autosieve, or give completely new ways to get resources.

Just some thoughts I wanted to share. Ex Nilho works well as a starting mod, but I feel it gets old quickly. Of course, it's your decision & I'm just trying to be helpful :).
Don't worry, no Ex Nilho (or Ex Astris). I'm using other mods to replicate the approach, but not using "renewable" resources such as cobblestone, sand & gravel. HQM will "guide" you, and most likely supply you with the blocks/tools to get you started otherwise you'll never get going.
I'm planning an approach in HQM where "quests" appear only once you've gathered items, so the HQM will look pretty empty of quests at the start.

Alternatively you can use a structure generator like Ruins and create a City biome to put them in.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2
Ruins mod is included, to scatter around various ruins, plus something else. Wasteland mod has it's own unique city system which looks sweet. I do need to look at something in the ruins mod to see if I can achieve something "special".

wow imagine how much redstone you would get with a fortune pick
Indeed, I'm also thinking how much radiation you'll take too, oh, wait, did I give something away?....

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Time for some screenshot teasers:

Wasteland at night, that toxic glow just looks so healthy... (in fact, only just spotted an infested villager enjoying the "waters")
2015-09-26_21.12.04.png

Wait, what modpack is is? (and excuse the floating ores...) - don't worry, I have full permission for all buildings!
2015-09-26_21.13.52.png

Been thinking about magical crops, and will gate it behind Thaumcraft Infusion crafting. (now there's a challenge for me, never minetweaked Thaumcraft before!)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Worldgen I feel is now complete, so the tweaking can commence. One big thing I'm doing is standardising all the outputs of the machines (so iron ore in a Mek Enrichment Chamber produces Pulverized Iron instead of Iron Dust)

I would like your thoughts regarding saplings (and other flora) and how to obtain them in a wasteland setting. I'm not a massive fan of "sieving" dirt and getting seeds, but can't really think of any "tech" way of getting flora.

Also, the HQM will feature a currency/exchange system (said currency can be crafted (eventually) and obtained as rewards, and is also used in come crafting recipes) but I really suck at naming things. Any ideas what this currency could be called? The idea is that they are small pieces of "stabalized radioactive material with mutagenic properties" which is what powers the HQMs exchange system (or some dodgy lore similar to that :p)

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Dead bushes are a good place to start. Figure out a way to "purify" and infuse with life to turn them into saplings.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I don't normally suggest TE for this sort of pack, but if you do, the Phyotogenic Insolator might be a good solution theme-wise for crops/agriculture.
I've still got the issue of how you get the original seed/crop. TE is included but recipes will be tweaked behind moon exploration and unique ore gen there (I think at this stage). Always possible to give the PI as an HQM reward. One "issue" I have is that I haven't been able to eliminate all dirt. I've "nuked" about 99.9% of it all, but there can still be some, if you find it. That I'm happy enough with, as that's a reward if you explore (or get lucky with world gen).
Will take a further look at the PI and what can be done with it.

Tech tree is being designed as Multiblocks as Tier 1 (Immersive Engineering, Railcraft, Tinkers*, Forestry & Buildcraft), once you get to the moon, then you get resources that allow for "magic blocks" starting with TE (moon), then Mekanism (Mars), and EnderIO/Matter Overdrive (Asteroids) with some minor overlap between mods/tiers where suitable, and with slim chances of getting later tier resources earlier.
Somewhere in there is also MFR, possibly spread across all "tiers" dependent on block functionality. TE & Mek might be switched around, I think TE is easier to fully automate than Mek.

* Planning something "special" with Tinkers and the construction of the Smeltery

Dead bushes are a good place to start. Figure out a way to "purify" and infuse with life to turn them into saplings.

That meshes with one idea I had with Thaumcraft infusing, but I don't want to force Thaumcraft as the only solution. PI may be a good way of a RF tech solution, especially if it's uncraftable (quest reward only) at early game. Use the PI to "bulk" up core set of resources, then move over to the forestry farms for long duration farming.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I wonder if there's a half decent biochemistry mod of some sort out there.

An ability to work with DNA would be great in a tech-based pack. Thaumcraft/Botania would be a bit of a shame in relation to the theme you describe.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Thaumcraft is pretty much the closest to that idea what with it's aspects and scanning, but the PI could be a tech solution to "creating life", especially since you can use other materials for the "crafting". Great idea guys.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Another sneak, there's a reason the tinkers smeltery has been retextured (it's supposed to be lightly rusty steel), to fit inline with multiblocks for tier 1 tech.
I've also included a few other retextures just to make things more appealing

Overall, going well and all the ideas for the HQM side of things are coming together (at least for the early game).
2015-10-07_22.03.40.png

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
Busy with real life stuff, but started learning how to use HQM, and oh, a retexure away from the default book.

2015-10-19_21.21.06.png
Looks awesome! Have you considered adding Forestry addons (ExtraTrees and Botany at least if bee breeding isn't your thing)?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Looks awesome! Have you considered adding Forestry addons (ExtraTrees and Botany at least if bee breeding isn't your thing)?
No plans to add any extra Forestry mods. Just sticking with what Forestry offers. That whole side of things with Forestry is not a goal/focus in the pack.
There will be one Bee related quest.

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
No plans to add any extra Forestry mods. Just sticking with what Forestry offers. That whole side of things with Forestry is not a goal/focus in the pack.
There will be one Bee related quest.
Okay then, good to know.

What about Buildcraft? Forestry and Railcraft stick close to it.

EDIT: Just noticed you are gonna include it. Facepalm! :p

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Okay then, good to know.

What about Buildcraft? Forestry and Railcraft stick close to it.

EDIT: Just noticed you are gonna include it. Facepalm! :p
Yep, BC included. I'm aiming to have it to that's your early game automation/item routing system but with Immersive Engineering & Mekanism for power transfer. So many mods now adding power transfer and item transfer, need to work out recipe changes to match my ideas with the space exploration side of things.