Will this PC build run FTB fast?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sicle

Jul 29, 2019
Your build is more then fine for FTB and normal minecraft, I'd say it would suffice for pretty much all games (but not at highest settings).

And to pitch in on the SSD topic, some people say it makes it faster, some people say you barely see it in world performance.
But here is the thing, what makes SSD so much faster for certain things are mainly the IOPs and not the actual read/write speed.
I have 15k SAS HDDs (server version of normal SATA HDDs) in my system for most stuff (windows, large files, text files etc.) and I have a 128GB SSD for some games, including minecraft. Now, IOPs are basically the amount of in/output / read/write actions a disk can perform in a second, conventional SATA drives will give you about 120 ~ 150 IOPs, mine have about 230 IOPs ish, a modern day SSD will have at least 60-80 thousand IOPs. This basically means it can do a whole bunch of small things in great succession compared to normal HDDs, like rendering a minecraft map, which consists out of a lot of small files, it will also boost map loading on open world games a lot (think WoW, GTA, Skyrim, etc.), however, the writing / reading of single big files will not benefit from high IOPs. For example, my windows 8 boots in 7,8 seconds (post screen to completely ready for use) and windows is on my 'normal' SAS drive, I tested it with the SSD and it was merely decreased to 7,6 seconds. So that's obviously faster, but not in real world performance, however, rendering a minecraft world on my SAS drive took about 20 secs, where it took about 4-5 secs on my SSD, again, lots of small files, I tested this with a simple server setup for DW20 pack both runs with the same seed.

So to sum it up:
Are you going to play only MC / FTB singleplayer, you will benefit from a SSD.
Are you going to mainly / only play multiplayer, you will BARELY benefit from a SSD (launching the game itself will go quicker though).
Are you going to play other games with open world maps? (WoW, GTA, Skyrim, basically any MMORPG), you will benefit from a SSD.

Are you going to play mainly multiplayer MC / FTB + some other games (not open world)? Then don't buy a SSD, it's a waste of money.

Hope this helps you :p

EDIT: If you do go with SSD, go with a Samsung one, they are currently the best in terms of quality, the small speed difference it may or may not have can't be noticed in real world situations.

Another EDIT: A 500 / 550watt PSU will suffice easily btw, 600watt is what most people will suggest you at least, and I can tell you from personal experience and expertise that thats straight out BS, I've build and seen systems with the latest i7's and a bulkier graphics card then yours run fine on 500watt and pass benchmarks fine so. But if you think you might add another graphics card or change it later on, then investing in the 600watt one now will save you later :)

Last edited:

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
That build is okay, but the SSD is not great, the processor doesn't have a ton of single thread performance compared to Intel and the graphics card is low end. Your budget doesn't really allow room for a HDD and SSD. You should probably get just the SSD and use the HDD from your old computer.

Also, MemoryExpress is overpriced as fuck. Your easily paying twice what you would at a different retailer for the cases and the video cards and memory are also marked up. The power supplies are also double the normal price. You should really order this stuff from a place like TigerDirect, NCIX, Newegg, Amazon, anywhere but MemoryExpress.

Here is a revised parts list:

Case: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX50542

Power Supply: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX41857

Memory: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX38854

SSD: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47586

Processor: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX45430

Motherboard: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47971

Video Card: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX50102

This build comes in $25 over budget but the video card is a bit on the low end. If you order from somewhere else you would come in about $40 under budget.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
That build is okay, but the SSD is not great, the processor doesn't have a ton of single thread performance compared to Intel and the graphics card is low end. Your budget doesn't really allow room for a HDD and SSD. You should probably get just the SSD and use the HDD from your old computer.

if single threaded performance is what you were looking at when recommending, then why an i5? we've hashed over this several times on the forum in the recent past, but the i3 performs just as well in real world on single threaded tasks as the i5. for games that aren't modern, as in released this year, take the i5 change it to an i3 then take the savings to the bank and upgrade the video card.

something like Arma 3 does require a quad core, otherwise you won't actually feel a difference between the two cpu's unless you're an a.d.d. tab switcher, the i5 would pull ahead then (but if we're measuring that, it isn't single threaded performance ;) ).

Sicle

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason he would need more performance then what he already had made himself is if he wants to stream / record videos or if he, like midi_sec stated, does lots of stuff at the same time, both single and multi-threaded performance of what he selected is more then plenty for MC / FTB.

Now I do agree that he should shop elsewhere (I live in Europe and that's even obvious to me), but that's not what the OP asked for, he asked if his build was okay, and it is.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
The build is hardly ideal, he is giving up video card and processor performance for a SSD which is not very good. If he really wants the AMD chip he should get a CPU cooler and overclock at least.

Sicle

Jul 29, 2019
He is giving up graphics power by buying a SSD, yes. But it's more then fast enough for MC, so is the CPU.
I agree with you though, I would invest the 100bucks of the SSD into a better graphics card, but that's personal preference, if he wants a SSD the build will do, but from performance aspect only, upgrading to a better grpahics card is better. But buying a cooler and starting overclocking the CPU? That's not needed at all, it will barely give him any performance boost, if any that can observed. The only thing it will give him is a chance to fck up his CPU seeing as he needs help deciding if this is a good build I'm going to assume he doesn't know how to overclock, not properly at least (anyone can adjust some numbers obviously).

Overclocking modern day CPUs is just something most people of the internet now a days say and think is good.
I don't understand why people still do it honestly, or atleast, from a budget / performance aspect.
The only reason to do it really is because you like to do it, giving someone the advice to overclock a CPU like that to gain more performance is stupid and idiotic.
On top of all that, the 30-40+ bucks you would spent on a good cooler, you could just invest in a better AM3+ CPU.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
He is giving up graphics power by buying a SSD, yes. But it's more then fast enough for MC, so is the CPU.
I agree with you though, I would invest the 100bucks of the SSD into a better graphics card, but that's personal preference, if he wants a SSD the build will do, but from performance aspect only, upgrading to a better grpahics card is better. But buying a cooler and starting overclocking the CPU? That's not needed at all, it will barely give him any performance boost, if any that can observed. The only thing it will give him is a chance to fck up his CPU seeing as he needs help deciding if this is a good build I'm going to assume he doesn't know how to overclock, not properly at least (anyone can adjust some numbers obviously).

Overclocking modern day CPUs is just something most people of the internet now a days say and think is good.
I don't understand why people still do it honestly, or atleast, from a budget / performance aspect.
The only reason to do it really is because you like to do it, giving someone the advice to overclock a CPU like that to gain more performance is stupid and idiotic.
On top of all that, the 30-40+ bucks you would spent on a good cooler, you could just invest in a better AM3+ CPU.

Honestly, FTB is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent. Upgrading the CPU with the extra 30 or 40 dollars makes no sense because your gaining more cores, not increasing the performance of the cores. Overclocking is fairly easy and most motherboards can do small overclocks automatically. The chance of fucking up your CPU is low provided you have a decent power supply.

Sicle

Jul 29, 2019
Yes minecraft is mainly singlethreaded, the CPU he choice still has plenty single thread performence for FTB though.
And on that note, I will not try to convince you and argue anymore with you DZCreeper, because this is the internet, and you're obviously right *uhum*

Reactions: midi_sec

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Yes minecraft is mainly singlethreaded, the CPU he choice still has plenty single thread performence for FTB though.
And on that note, I will not try to convince you and argue anymore with you DZCreeper, because this is the internet, and you're obviously right *uhum*

That's too bad, I was enjoying actually being able to have a conversation on the internet that doesn't end in swearing whenever the other person has a valid point. Just wanted to point that your correct, it has enough single thread performance. Why settle for enough when you could get a better chip that is more powerful in the same budget? Its not like FTB is getting any more performance orientated.

Anyways OP, only a handful of us on these forums have build and maintain our own computers. If you want more input from, you could head over to http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

Reactions: YX33A

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
That's too bad, I was enjoying actually being able to have a conversation on the internet that doesn't end in swearing whenever the other person has a valid point. Just wanted to point that your correct, it has enough single thread performance. Why settle for enough when you could get a better chip that is more powerful in the same budget? Its not like FTB is getting any more performance orientated.

Anyways OP, only a handful of us on these forums have build and maintain our own computers. If you want more input from, you could head over to http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

One of us in this handful was an IT consultant so some drops in the bucket are bigger than others :)

Reactions: YX33A

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Did you somehow find out what I do for work or are you referring to yourself?

I used my elite hacking skills and social engineering skills to... nah I meant myself. I infer many of us on ftb forums are either programmers or in some IT related field from the way people talk on here.

Reactions: midi_sec and YX33A

Sicle

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I actually enjoyed the conversation as well, I just wanted to stop it before it got out of hand because the conversation was going somewhere that the OP wasn't asking about :p

#BraggingMode :3
many of us on ftb forums are either programmers or in some IT related field from the way people talk on here.
I'm a WebDeveloper as everyday occupation, but know most languages and also have a degree in netwerking and CCDE-certification, on top of that I have basic knowledge of all OS's and extensive knowledge on Linux and hardware x) (I majored IT in general before I majored in specifically WebDevelopment)

Also, most people here are still probably higher certified then I'm, from my experience if you play FTB you are usually in IT / Engineering somehow or a 14-16 year old who just want's'to try something new :p (I've also seen a lot of army men come by, don't know why)

Last edited:

Sicle

Jul 29, 2019
So I had some spare time on my hands, and this is what I would buy for $800 ish:
Newegg Link, make sure your shopping cart at Newegg is empty before clicking.

Case:
ZALMAN ZM-T2 Black Steel / Plastic MicroATX
Memory:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z87M-D3H 1.0 LGA 1150 Intel Z87
CPU:
Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150
GPU:
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100364VXL Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-bit
PSU:
CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3
HDD:
Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB

I think the AMD card will get you more performance overall, but here is a NVidia option if you prefer so:
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit

So here some explenation on the build:
I went for Intel because they are usually better for MC / FTB, the Motherboard allows for later upgrading, you can add another set of memory and even a second GPU if you prefer so.
Because of that I made sure the PSU also supports SLI / CrossFire, and I choice this specific model because it's modular which you will want in a small case like this.
So why this small case? You had it in your first post and in this price range it's mainly a visual thing so that's pure personal preference and I didn't want to choice something else for you.
I left the SSD out because I don't think you will benefit from it, and it allowed for a way better system.

I will not give any guarantees but this build will probably run any game just fine (for some exceptions where you have to turn down settings) as long as you don't overload your PC with unneeded junk x).

Off-topic:
Holy crap I never did this on any site out of the EU, you guys are so damn lucky, this is litterally 300-400 bucks (depending on store) cheaper then where I live o_O