Will there be an ipad ftb app in the future?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Assuming "ftb app" means a launcher for ftb modded-minecraft on a mobile device, I think run pretty much nailed it - mobile minecraft is already stripped down and simplified so that those devices can *barely* play vanilla - a mod pack with dozens of new mods would probably be out of the question.

Moreover, applications and software made for use on iPads and similar devices are actually developed especially for that - you can't just install PC software into it and expect it to run, which means that not only would the FTB launcher need to be written to work on iOS, but so would all of the mods! We're all going stir-crazy waiting for these mods to finish being updated to 1.6 and eventually 1.7 - expecting the mod developers to simultaneously develop for a completely different platform is out of the question, methinks.

I do agree that it would be nice to live in a world where the boundaries between devices and what-can-run-which-software were more transparent. I guess we're not there yet, but who knows - perhaps by the time minecraft 3.0 and later versions roll out, tablet devices will have evolved to the point where "compatibility" is a thing of the past. In the meantime, there's plenty of non-minecraft iPad software to explore, so I'm sure you'll be able to find something to spend your tablet-time on :p

The only "Tablets" capable of running modded Minecraft would be those running Windows 8/8.1 PRO (NOT RT!). RT is written specifically for the ARM processor like the ones typically running Android and cannot run standard Windows software unless specifically written for RT.

Windows 8/8.1 PRO requires an Intel/AMD chip and a bare minimum hardware set including a decent GPU. As such most such devices should handle modded Minecraft, since they can run other windows software as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1386903944][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's a little too expensive for my taste, I got this iPad 4, for around $500, a gaming Laptop costs around about a $1,000. Also this iPad 4 was a birthday gift for mah 21st, so I really had no option, but to get it, and it does the job really well.

And yeah, by the look of these answers i'll have to find some other games to play on my iPad to keep me busy, but I hope an Admin comes in help out too :D

A Microsoft Surface Pro 2 runs around $450 (base) and should handle MC with no problems, since the pro, unlike the RT, is Intel-based.

Last edited:
Reactions: PierceSG

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
If you really want to, you could somehow put windows on ipad and just run ftb of there (I don't know ipads specs, would you be able to do that?)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If you really want to, you could somehow put windows on ipad and just run ftb of there (I don't know ipads specs, would you be able to do that?)
No. The Ipad have really crappy hardware. Basically the only thing they updated since the very first model is storage and screen.

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
The new ipad air has an amazing cpu, that cpu is really beast compared to all other tablets.
I don't know much about it's gpu, but i know that the cpu is more than 10 times better than the one in ipad 2

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Realistically, Apple do have a walled garden with regards to the apps that run on their devices. Barring getting MC to set up their own Mod Api and library functions (and even then, getting it allowed would be difficult), there isn't really any hope to getting FTB running on an iPad.

The hardware in the devices is, relatively, not the best on the market. The major difference is in the way that Apple controls both the hardware and software side of things. Rather than needing to ensure compatibility with a wide variety of hardware, they are able to optimize it for a small known subset (this effect is quite significant, and particularly visible in the early days of XBMC/XBMP).

Please note that all of the above is intended to be my personal opinion, based on experience with the devices, and the systems underlying them. Please don't turn this into an Apple/Andriod/Windows flamewar.

Feyriin

Jul 29, 2019
More or less, if you want tablet style gaming, but modded minecraft.. save up those pennies, you're going to need one of those horribly overpriced windows 8 machines to do it on.

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019
More or less, if you want tablet style gaming, but modded minecraft.. save up those pennies, you're going to need one of those horribly overpriced windows 8 machines to do it on.

Actually, I'm pretty sure there's a hack that allows windows 8 tablets using ARM processors to run desktop applications that aren't signed by Microsoft. While you definitely can't run most PC applications (only ones compiled specifically for ARM), with a bit of hunting you could probably find a ARM based Java virtual machine, and subsequently run Minecraft on it (with the side effect of a lot of lag, even more so if you installed mods.)

touristterrist

Jul 29, 2019
(whew) thanks for the response guys and gals, I think it sounded kinda silly thinking that there would be a FTB pack for iPad 4, though I wish there were :(

Shiftus

Jul 29, 2019
In my coding experience it is not yet possible, but I have recently found the Blocklauncher app that you can install mods into for MCPE. However I believe Blocklauncher is only for Android, and it is very buggyand hard to use the mods ingame. Most of the mods do not work correctly either, and these are very small mods, thus it is almost, if not impossible with our current level of "mobile" technology to play FTB on an IPad, IPhone, IPod, or Android device. But in the future, it is quite possible.

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really worry about FTB packs being playable on tablets, but what I would love to have is some kind of NEI-like website/app, where you could choose a pack, say for example DW20 1.7.10, and go through the recipes available in it.

That would be awesome :) (and for those asking, I know I can just start the game and see the recipes IG, but sometimes, at work, I like to take 5-10 minutes breaks where I plan what I'll be doing next, and such a thing would help ;) also, the mods wiki's are not always up-to-date, or sometimes they just don't exist).

Shiftus

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really worry about FTB packs being playable on tablets, but what I would love to have is some kind of NEI-like website/app, where you could choose a pack, say for example DW20 1.7.10, and go through the recipes available in it.

That would be awesome :) (and for those asking, I know I can just start the game and see the recipes IG, but sometimes, at work, I like to take 5-10 minutes breaks where I plan what I'll be doing next, and such a thing would help ;) also, the mods wiki's are not always up-to-date, or sometimes they just don't exist).
It sounds like what you are looking for is a wiki, am I correct? Because the FTB team has said they are working on a FTB Wiki app.
They'll probably be a FTB wiki app eventually, if that's what you mean.

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
It sounds like what you are looking for is a wiki, am I correct? Because the FTB team has said they are working on a FTB Wiki app.

Yeah, kinda like a wiki, but maybe more automated. Wiki's are cool (like bowties and fezzes, don't get me wrong on that), but sometimes they're not regularly updated, and that's the problem I usually have..

Shiftus

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, kinda like a wiki, but maybe more automated. Wiki's are cool (like bowties and fezzes, don't get me wrong on that), but sometimes they're not regularly updated, and that's the problem I usually have..
First off, I love the Doctor Who reference, and Second I agree with you on the "not updated regulary" part, but I believe the only reason for that is the operators of the Wiki are most likely working to fix bugs, errors, and issues with various FTB packs, The Wiki, and Forums. But yes most wikis are not updated as often as people would like.

Reactions: yotus

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Oh, it'd be great to play whilst you're traveling and etc...

And yeah i know this question sounds kinda dumb.

But an ftb app for iPad's mine-craft Pocket edition would be just amazing.

But please don't hate me for suggesting something stupid :(

MCPE is written in C++... Any mods for PE would have to be written from scratch anyway, at least for now.

Microsoft seems to be intent on eventually using Minecraft as a teaching tool for programming, and I've even read a theory that having played MC prepares kids for more advanced concepts, data mining in the case of the article I read. Heck, there was a new "Raspberry Pi 2" experimenter board released 2/2/2015, at the cost of $35 that will have a version of Windows 10 available for free when Win10 is released, and soon in the preview program.

The point is that since Microsoft is moving their software development tools to a multiplatform base (Win/Apple/Android, I86/x86 and Arm) it's not impossible but isn't happening soon.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
That's a little too expensive for my taste, I got this iPad 4, for around $500, a gaming Laptop costs around about a $1,000. Also this iPad 4 was a birthday gift for mah 21st, so I really had no option, but to get it, and it does the job really well.

And yeah, by the look of these answers i'll have to find some other games to play on my iPad to keep me busy, but I hope an Admin comes in help out too :D

For $500 you can build a good desktop system that'll blow the doors off any laptop, if you pick your new components carefully and use "previously employed" parts like keyboard/mouse/monitor at first and slowly upgrade from there.

Shiftus

Jul 29, 2019
For $500 you can build a good desktop system that'll blow the doors off any laptop, if you pick your new components carefully and use "previously employed" parts like keyboard/mouse/monitor at first and slowly upgrade from there.
Indeed you can, I am currently rebuilding mine, and I tested it and it was able to run FTB Unhinged with twilight forest enabled for 120 minutes with 20 FPS,( I know, Not good but at least it runs). So it is definately worth it to build your own, and cost efficient, I happen to have a relative who repairs computers so he helps me if, and only if I can't find a part (Graphics card, Monitor cable, ETC....). He gets gently used parts, and his rebuilt computer cost him in the range of $300 to $500 US dollars, which is fair and pretty cheap compared to what is on the market in terms of gaming computers. His computer can run FTB modpacks with all mods enabled, at about 40 FPS.