Will Eloraam's RedPower be a part of FTB ModPack as soon as she releases it?

facegr1nd

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I'm wondering a little bit, wether Red Power will be a part of FTB?! I googled it but couldnt really find anything, also didn't find anything with the search function of this Forum.

My Question basically is going for 2 things:
- Modded Minecraft without the awesome Project Table isn't the same ;-)
- Should i wait until the ModPack is not Beta anymore and all Mods are included and updated etc. before starting to play FTB (i play Tekkit right now, but i want to switch Modpacks since i first watched DW20 Server Let's Play).
Just asking because i wouldnt want to start a new world in 2-3 weeks when RP might be included in the ModPack.

Best Regards,
facegr1nd

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't taking a look at the mod list on the main page kind of answer your question? Or is there something else you need to know?

EDIT: Haha wow, I love you too, Murphy! Of course I post this only to notice that after all this time someone finally went and updated the mod list to reflect only those mods currently in. Figures :p

But yes, Redpower is probably the most anticipated mod of them all by a large part of the community, I'd bet that any sort of release will be summarily crammed in an update within 24 hours.

facegr1nd

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't taking a look at the mod list on the main page kind of answer your question? Or is there something else you need to know?

RP2 is not on it, that's why im asking. I've seen a picture in the Minecraft Forum that Slowpoke posted that stated the RP will be included, its not included yet and thats the only reason i'm asking!

24 hours you say? Alright, i'll wait ;-)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
...within 24 hours of Redpower being available, that is. Don't you misquote me on this! :p

Only Eloraam knows "when it's done".

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Not as soon as she releases it, to combine another mod and especially one as large as RP may take some considerable time to juggle around all the other mods. Also take into account that we are presuming Elo will release as 1.4.5. Which means not only just adding in RP but updating all the other mods to 1.4.5 too, it's not going to be that easy or quick to do. Then add on testing time to make sure everything is stable for release, so I'd be expecting FTB 1.4.5 around a month to 2 months after ALL mods have been released for 1.4.5.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Just my speculation don't take my word for it, just trying to make people realise the world doesn't revolve around RP ...... or does it!!!!

LordDeTracy

Jul 29, 2019
Well i wouldnt mind playing a beta version and testing it on my world with the other users to iron out the bugs to make it release sooner

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower is on the ForgeCraft server where all the mod devs hang out to test mods, so bugs are being found and fixed there.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Not really :p She barely ever uses twitter to begin with, so it can't be used as a reliable way to track development progress. Basically all this tweet says is "I'm working on it", and we pretty much knew that already.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Not as soon as she releases it, to combine another mod and especially one as large as RP may take some considerable time to juggle around all the other mods. Also take into account that we are presuming Elo will release as 1.4.5. Which means not only just adding in RP but updating all the other mods to 1.4.5 too, it's not going to be that easy or quick to do. Then add on testing time to make sure everything is stable for release, so I'd be expecting FTB 1.4.5 around a month to 2 months after ALL mods have been released for 1.4.5.

The configs for Redpower are already done I guess. Since slow and the others already have access to eloraams dev-builds on ForgeCraft which are complete content-wise (and bugfixing wouldn't break the configs normally). So if she releases it they could implement it as soon as they notice the release. Technically they could already implement it, since they have redpower, but it isn't the release-version and it would be simply disrespectful.

But the constant minecraft-updates seem to break some things here and there and make proper testing a bit difficult. But direwolf ensured to us that she is working to get it released as fast as possible but she will most likely not hurry it.

1 to 2 months? Might be time to go back to Technic for a while.

Well since RP2 isn't released they will not have it either^^. Both 1.2.5-packs include Redpower, basically if you want it, you need to play 1.2.5.

Well i wouldnt mind playing a beta version and testing it on my world with the other users to iron out the bugs to make it release sooner

Since she would need to read your bugreports this would propably delay a release. And although you would not mind playing a not properly tested version eloraam obviously does not want to release a only almost perfectly working version of redpower. Redpower is something that she can show of to people and if you work on a mod it might be a possibility to enter professional coding, so you want to make all work you publish as good as possible since your future employer might look at what you have created. There is a reason it was mentured several times at minecon often as one of the best mods for the game.

Not really :p She barely ever uses twitter to begin with, so it can't be used as a reliable way to track development progress. Basically all this tweet says is "I'm working on it", and we pretty much knew that already.

True, basically she moved all the PR to direwolf, which has the unfortunate side-effect of getting informations about a week late :p

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Good things come to those patient enough, RP2 was the most polished mod in Tekkit and bug free, it was that way for a reason and looking at the next version, it looks to having as much care as the old one.

I can wait, being a complete and utter RP nuthead I just miss it badly, but it's giving me time to learn all the other stuff in FTB :D

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'll believe "bug-free" when I see it... there is no software this complex without bugs. Period. :p

I'll be happy though if at least the catastrophic network performance impact of red alloy wire gets fixed.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Good things come to those patient enough, RP2 was the most polished mod in Tekkit and bug free, it was that way for a reason and looking at the next version, it looks to having as much care as the old one.

I can wait, being a complete and utter RP nuthead I just miss it badly, but it's giving me time to learn all the other stuff in FTB :D

Well... it wasn't bug-free. But it was very polished. Even if it normally was one of the most abused mods on the servers it only causes limited tps-drop. The only problem with redpower was rendering. The microblocks (and from tubes, to wire to the real microblocks almost everything in redpower is a microblock) could cause a lot of fps-drops, but that's not really something that could be changed easily since it is something that is wrong with vanilla-mc.

The only real major bug in redpower that slipped in unnoticed was the button of death that could be used to crash servers (well there was no need for a button, but it looks fun to have a button to crash the server). It was just a piece of red-alloy-wire surrounded by microblocks. As soon as the wire gets power the server crashed.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Red alloy wire in general was bad. I noticed this when running a small friends-only Tekkit server from my home connection with 1 MBit upstream. We started off with each person consuming about 4-5 kB/s out of the roughly 120 I can serve, and there were only four of us, so we were far from any limit. And then came the day where two people alone managed to saturate the entire bandwidth and then some, causing frequent disconnects and lagging other people who weren't even in the area.

Someone on the Tekkit forums suggested replacing all red alloy wire with vanilla redstone or attaching timers directly to machines. And guess what? As soon as we did that, we were back down to barely 40% network usage even with all four people right in the middle of the problem area. That's an improvement of a full order of magnitude, for those not counting.

Red alloy wire just does something really really bad whenever it changes states, and if you toggle it really quickly (say with a timer) or put it near microblocks, your server's gonna have A Bad Time. I've been keeping my fingers crossed all this time that the next release will address it.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
It will be so awesome if Elo released redpower to FTB only and not for tekkit, like forestry.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Red alloy wire in general was bad. I noticed this when running a small friends-only Tekkit server from my home connection with 1 MBit upstream. We started off with each person consuming about 4-5 kB/s out of the roughly 120 I can serve, and there were only four of us, so we were far from any limit. And then came the day where two people alone managed to saturate the entire bandwidth and then some, causing frequent disconnects and lagging other people who weren't even in the area.

Someone on the Tekkit forums suggested replacing all red alloy wire with vanilla redstone or attaching timers directly to machines. And guess what? As soon as we did that, we were back down to barely 40% network usage even with all four people right in the middle of the problem area. That's an improvement of a full order of magnitude, for those not counting.

Red alloy wire just does something really really bad whenever it changes states, and if you toggle it really quickly (say with a timer) or put it near microblocks, your server's gonna have A Bad Time. I've been keeping my fingers crossed all this time that the next release will address it.

Never had this issue. I had an underground layout with quite the opposite effect. I build it purely with normal redstone and replaced it with redalloy-wire (well... redalloy-wire is more expensive and it worked with normal redstone anyway, since it was just a timer pulsing tons of machines). Switching over to red-alloy-wire improved the performance a lot. We also used a home-server and the traffic wasn't that bad. Only computercraft caused some troubles if you are writing lots of stuff on screens.