Will be gregtech in the future FTB packs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, she's a cat.

*tosses two balls of yarn into the conversation like grenades while running the opposite direction*

It does look like GT is here to stay. Sadly I can't find anymore the posts that said that gt was going to be of limited impact, that it wouldn't be in ultimate, and that if it did, it would default to the least invasive mode.

Those would be important things to quote.

The easymode/hardmode switch can not come soon enough, with every update obliterating the entire folder, making any config change that gets figured out only a temporary fix (as well as destroying my achivements AND my waypoints, but that's another issue) this can not go in fast enough.

(P.S. Where's the comic?)

projectzero.katbox.net
(breifNuditywarning)

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
yep *coughsteelnuggetsforflintandsteel*

I don't understand what the big stink is about this, steel is easy to come by without a blast furnace. Find a town blacksmith, use the steel armor/pickaxe/sword/etc in a furnace and voila steel ingot. Or any dungeon/monument/tomb. Or mine shafts. What's the big deal? You have to mine diamond and obsidian first anyway, so how have you not found a chest with steel in it? You can also use this to bypass the nether for a quarry entirely.

I like gregtech because it ties the mods together into what feels like one big mod. Avoiding gregtech and playing ftb feels like I'm playing each mod separately one at a time. Gregtech interfaces well with all of the industrial mods and makes me feel like I'm playing one huge mod instead of a ton of tiny ones.

I will say some machines need to have a better cost/benefit to them. The distillation tower uses the same conversion ratio for oil to fuel but spends 4 times the energy for a 33% speed increase over a refinery, making it useless for anything but biofuel. Same case with the vacuum freezer, slower and significantly more EU intensive for DDoS cooling of coolant cells via cooling towers...if you're gonna make it cost EU at least make if speedy! Also the gregtech early to mid game energy generation machines aren't competitive at all.

In my opinion, gregtech is what makes ftb ultimate 'ultimate.'. It makes the sum of all mods in ultimate greater than its standalone parts. To me, this is what makes a big mod pack enjoyable.

Reactions: Quacktiamauct

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand what the big stink is about this, steel is easy to come by without a blast furnace. Find a town blacksmith, use the steel armor/pickaxe/sword/etc in a furnace and voila steel ingot. Or any dungeon/monument/tomb. Or mine shafts. What's the big deal? You have to mine diamond and obsidian first anyway, so how have you not found a chest with steel in it? You can also use this to bypass the nether for a quarry entirely.

Also the ability to light nether portals with a fire charge; all you have to do is find a desert for some blaze dust.

.. Also the gregtech early to mid game energy generation machines aren't competitive at all.

With the exception of the thermal generator (which is flat out OP on any server that allows lava pumping); I agree completely. The other generators feel like ancillary ones that you install in your base just to toss stuff like excess creosote or unwanted methane into.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019

A nether portal does not require you to obtain diamonds and mine obsidian. You can easely construct one with a bucket. As we all now that lava turns into obsidian when you poor water over it and that lava lakes can be found on the surface...

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013

Because it's entirely arbitrary, and doesn't actually lock the Nether behind steel. You'd just need another bucket of lava, something that burns, and a bit of luck to ignite the portal.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
Can you make a IBF without glowstone, even?

I'm surprised greg doesn't have you run your machines on redstone for a while

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
Can you make a IBF without glowstone, even?

I'm surprised greg doesn't have you run your machines on redstone for a while

If only we had a way to make greg stop with his prissy ideas of balance,
Or at least make his mod more configurable, And easy to configure, Like what his machines do when overloaded,
Among other things that are absolute horse

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
If only we had a way to make greg stop with his prissy ideas of balance,
Or at least make his mod more configurable, And easy to configure, Like what his machines do when overloaded,
Among other things that are absolute horse

They're quite configurable between the upgrades and config options. All the various things the machines do, like catching fire, exploding, exploding because something else exploded, exploding because a wire exploded, etc can all be turned off or on.

See?
Code:
gregtech.cfg

machines {
    B:constant_need_of_energy=true
    B:explosions_on_nonwrenching=true
    B:fire_causes_explosions=true
    B:lightning_causes_explosions=true
    B:machines_flammable=true
    B:rain_causes_explosions=true
    B:wirefire_on_explosion=true
}

And in the RecipesAdvancedConfig.cfg you can tweak just about every little balance thing in the mod. From how long the assembler takes to assemble stuff down to what things can come out of a scrap box and everything inbetween.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
They're quite configurable between the upgrades and config options. All the various things the machines do, like catching fire, exploding, exploding because something else exploded, exploding because a wire exploded, etc can all be turned off or on.

See?
Code:
gregtech.cfg

machines {
    B:constant_need_of_energy=true
    B:explosions_on_nonwrenching=true
    B:fire_causes_explosions=true
    B:lightning_causes_explosions=true
    B:machines_flammable=true
    B:rain_causes_explosions=true
    B:wirefire_on_explosion=true
}

And in the RecipesAdvancedConfig.cfg you can tweak just about every little balance thing in the mod. From how long the assembler takes to assemble stuff down to what things can come out of a scrap box and everything inbetween.

Look at the way machines explode if overload, They still take out a bunch of wires, And other machines, and power supplies, There is still a LOT that greg tech needs to make configurable that isn't,

They need better UI as well, Greg is a tripe UI designer

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Look at the way machines explode if overload, They still take out a bunch of wires, And other machines, and power supplies, There is still a LOT that greg tech needs to make configurable that isn't,

They need better UI as well, Greg is a tripe UI designer

So the problem is that the explosion itself isn't configurable/customizable? If you don't want stuff to blow up, at least you can turn off explosions and even specify which things don't cause explosions. Buildcraft, on the other hand, doesn't even have turning off explosions as an option. I agree about the UI.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
So the problem is that the explosion itself isn't configurable/customizable? If you don't want stuff to blow up, at least you can turn off explosions and even specify which things don't cause explosions. Buildcraft, on the other hand, doesn't even have turning off explosions as an option. I agree about the UI.

IC2 machines explode, But they don't take out like, EVERYTHING NEARBY

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
The main thing I hate about GT can be easily explained by Forestry and Bronze.
Forestry uses Bronze nonstop, IC2 only once (really, just the wrench - I used picks in DW20, though).
Greg nerfs it in a way it appears Forestry uses bronze as much as IC2.
The correct thing would be buff the IC2 way (and go Foresty style) since Bronze effectively matters in Forestry.
Although he has some great ideas about machines, he fails to make them balanced.

FlowerChild has a better idea of adding difficulty to a mod (hardcore stratification - the deeper you go, the harder the stone becomes, running changes - different speeds on different kinds of ground, an iron ore = an iron nugget...)... He's not going for "take all of the player's resources and strap them", but rather "make them feel they deserved and worked hard for it".

Reactions: Lambert2191

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
But there's no option in IC2 to turn off explosions, nor any option to adjust the explosiveness of the machines or change how they explode. The only adjustable thing related to explosions in ic2 is how explosive nukes and reactors are (but not the conditions under which they'll explode). I'm not trying to say more options wouldn't be better, but if Gregtech NEEDS to have more stuff configurable then just about everything else does too just to get up to the point where GT already is. At least in GT, I can turn explosions off. I'd love to have that option in Buildcraft.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
The main thing I hate about GT can be easily explained by Forestry and Bronze.
Forestry uses Bronze nonstop, IC2 only once (really, just the wrench - I used picks in DW20, though).
Greg nerfs it in a way it appears Forestry uses bronze as much as IC2.
The correct thing would be buff the IC2 way (and go Foresty style) since Bronze effectively matters in Forestry.
Although he has some great ideas about machines, he fails to make them balanced.

FlowerChild has a better idea of adding difficulty to a mod (hardcore stratification - the deeper you go, the harder the stone becomes, running changes - different speeds on different kinds of ground, an iron ore = an iron nugget...)... He's not going for "take all of the player's resources and strap them", but rather "make them feel they deserved and worked hard for it".

That's not even Gregtech, that's Thermal Expansion.
ThermalExpansion.cfg
Code:
I:Smelter.Bronze.Amount=2

You could un-nerf it by changing it to 4, or re-enabling world generation of copper and tin in either IC2 or Forestry or both.

DarkWasp

Jul 29, 2019
I don't consider GT to be grindy. Now that AE has been added it is even less so.

Make sure you put compressors, electrolyzers .etc recipes into your AE ME Network early and you'll be crafting those advanced machines in no time with very little thought.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019

You have clearly never run EHV into a MassFab before.

Also, Greg removed the 'easy mode' recipes for his own machines, but you can still revert steel tools, macerator, etc. Say what you will about GT (and note that I typically play with mostly 'easy mode' settings), but you have to admit that his mod has one of, if not the most, robust config file available. Also, I'd argue that GT's machines are some of the more complicated in the game at the moment, and if you can't handle the config for it, well...perhaps it isn't the mod for you.

Which is fine, you should use whatever mods you like, and toss the ones you don't. Just don't come to the FTB forums demanding a mod be removed/changed just because you don't care for it. You could, of course, give a whirl at making your own pack. Shameless plug for the post in my sig :p
(Pre-post edit: upon re-reading I should note that only my first sentence was directed at Chrissy specifically. Nothing but love, fox...er, cat lady!)