Why won't my smelter drain into my casting table?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
C

Culprit

I have built my smelter, 3x3 on the bottom, then 3 walls of seared bricks, one smelter controller, on seared glass tank filled with lava. I then put a seared brick between them, and put my casting table outside that. I built another level, and put my drain and spout above the casting table. I filled it with bronze, put a hammer head in the casting table, and right clicked the spout. Nothing came out. I tried putting the drain on the bottom, still didn't work. What's wrong?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Can you provide a screenshot of your setup?
Can you confirm that you're able to access the smeltery gui by right-clicking the Controller?
Can you confirm that the items in the smeltery are actually melting? (you may not be using the right Tank block)

C

Culprit

Yyes, the blocks have melted, and yes I can access the smeltery gui by right clicking the smeltery controller. Hang on, will get pic to you tomorrow.

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
Yyes, the blocks have melted, and yes I can access the smeltery gui by right clicking the smeltery controller. Hang on, will get pic to you tomorrow.
could know the reason.. is your smeltery drain in the correct side with your smeltery faucet?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
To make a cast for a part you need to use either gold or aluminum brass, once you have a cast, you should then be able to pour bronze into it to make the part.

This is the correct answer: The smeltery will not pour bronze onto a hammer head. You first need to pour aluminium brass (made with aluminium and copper) - or gold - onto the hammer head to make a hammer head cast, then - with the empty cast in the table - you can pour your metal of choice to make a hammer head.

C

Culprit

Ohhhh that makes sense! Thank you! How should I drain it so I can out in aluminum?

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
You can just add aluminium blocks / ingots and it will blend with the copper into aluminium brass. Otherwise you can remove the spout and put a fluid pipe there connected to a portable tank. Or break / replace the smeltery controller (all contents is lost).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ohhhh that makes sense! Thank you! How should I drain it so I can out in aluminum?
If you just want to output a different liquid, but don't want to re-melt stuff later, you can just click a liquid in the GUI to set it to output next (I believe the liquids on the bottom output first).

In an early game, its common for me to have all kinds of (non-alloying) metals in the smeltery at a given time.

Reactions: GreenZombie
C

Culprit

Ok. I'll drain my bronze by putting a pipe there into a seared glass tank, then fill it with copper and aluminum. Equal amounts I'm guessing? How much will I need for a cast? 1ingot of each?

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
The ratio is three aluminum to one copper for 4 aluminum brass and it's one ingot's worth of aluminum brass or two ingots worth of gold to make a cast, regardless of what type. Some mod packs have modified the cast value though (Project Ozone 2 for example has it at a much lower amount)

Your best way to find out is to look up a cast in NEI and see how much fluid it takes. One ingot is equal to 144 milibuckets.

Reactions: Pyure

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The ratio is three aluminum to one copper for 4 aluminum brass and it's one ingot's worth of aluminum brass or two ingots worth of gold to make a cast, regardless of what type. Some mod packs have modified the cast value though (Project Ozone 2 for example has it at a much lower amount)

Your best way to find out is to look up a cast in NEI and see how much fluid it takes. One ingot is equal to 144 milibuckets.

It also depends on which version of TiCo you're using. The latest version, in Unstable 1.10, allows you to put clay into the smelter and make templates, although the template is lost with each cast so you have to keep making them. In other words, if you need more than one, as with the hammer plates, you have to make two templates.

The gold or aluminum brass templates last "forever" but aluminum (bauxite) is harder to get and in 1.10.x clay is now a very common block, spawning underground.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
This is not a vanilla thing, nor does TiC add extra clay. You've been playing with modpacks that happen to be configured that way.

I said that clay is very common underground in Unstable 1.10 which IS a modpack... I never said it was a Vanilla mechanic, although maybe I should've said "in 1.10.x packs" for more clarity.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I said that clay is very common underground in Unstable 1.10 which IS a modpack... I never said it was a Vanilla mechanic, although maybe I should've said "in 1.10.x packs" for more clarity.
and in 1.10.x clay is now a very common block, spawning underground.

Technically, no, in that paragraph you just said it was very common underground in 1.10.x :p

I was similarly confused. Agreed on your means of clarification tho.

C

Culprit

Anyway... :D I got it to work. Also, I dont know if its just my modpack (direwolf20) but aluminum is VERY plentiful for me, at least in caves.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Anyway... :D I got it to work. Also, I dont know if its just my modpack (direwolf20) but aluminum is VERY plentiful for me, at least in caves.

Yes, but the pack you are talking about is probably the one made for MC 1.7.10, which I also run from time to time. I think the 1.7.10 version of TiCo generated several ores back then possibly including aluminum.

The newest version for MC 1.10.2 doesn't generate ores at all, except for Cobalt and Ardite in the Nether. One of the other mods has Bauxite which can be made into aluminum, then into aluminum brass using the aluminum/copper recipe.

C

Culprit

Ok, and yes I'm pretty sure it's 1.7.10. Speaking of which I need to go to he nether and get some cobalt, a Rd it so I can make manuyllyn!