Why no modpacks for the latest version (MC 1.8)?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SkyHook

Jul 29, 2019
Please forgive my utter lack of knowledge about this, but I am confused as to why the latest update to minecraft came out two months ago, but not a single modpack has been produced since its release. This is not a rant on my part, but the complete dearth of any news/releases for Minecraft 1.8 has me convinced that I am missing something. Can someone enlighten me as to why there are no 1.8 modpacks?

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
see, mojang does not give mods the code. mods must use tools to take the "encrypted" code and turn it into useable to code mods. however, these tools do make mistakes, and those must be corrected manually. that takes a while. then, the modders have to update their mods to the new version, which requires them to change things,as the code is different, so it breaks things. this also takes time.

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Mods take time to develop. Direwolf20 modpack for 1.7.10 just came out few days ago. Mods are constantly being updated and most modders are at 1.7.10 level. There maybe mods at 1.8 but as for modpacks you would have to make it yourself or find someone that has made on already. Being that most mods havent updated to 1.8 yet you probably wont have much of a list to choose from.

SkyHook

Jul 29, 2019
see, mojang does not give mods the code. mods must use tools to take the "encrypted" code and turn it into useable to code mods. however, these tools do make mistakes, and those must be corrected manually. that takes a while. then, the modders have to update their mods to the new version, which requires them to change things,as the code is different, so it breaks things. this also takes time.

So if I understand, the modpacks are being worked on, they will just take time? I just would hate for there to be a moratorium on 1.8 modpacks because of something that I don't know about.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Also, Minecraft 1.8 has major internal changes that many modders don't want to bother with.

Also, there's no reason to update, besides "other people are updating". Why do you want updates?

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
So if I understand, the modpacks are being worked on, they will just take time? I just would hate for there to be a moratorium on 1.8 modpacks because of something that I don't know about.
well, once some 1.8 mods are out, people can start making packs.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
So if I understand, the modpacks are being worked on, they will just take time?
Not even being worked on. 1.8 is.......terrible, in numerous ways, so quite frankly there isn't a ton of incentive to make mods for it compared to 1.7. Actually, my 1.7 world has all major 1.8 features ported over anyway via Botania and Gany's mods.

I would not be surprised if 1.8 is skipped entirely. I honestly hope that to be the case, because we really do need to give the poor modders a break.

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
1.8 isn't even on most of our radars yet. We don't have a usable Forge release, so only the truly brave are exploring the new code.

Mainstream modding is running approximately 1 year behind Minecraft, if we're using 1.7 as a benchmark. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1.8 take that long to become the dominant platform with major modpacks, if it does at all.

Anyone who thinks we'll skip 1.8 because 1.9 will be more palatable is deluding themselves, though. Everyone said that about 1.7, but anyone still stuck on a 1.6 code base certainly isn't in any better shape to upgrade to 1.8.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Most modders probably won't update to 1.8.
Due to all the changes to the way stuff such as rendering works it is unlikely that we'll see big mods make it past 1.7.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
We barely have 1.7 modpacks- how long ago was 1.7 released?
Thats the timescale we're dealing with- should it even be worth the effort and pain of breaking everything AGAIN for mediocre vanilla "features"
Regardless of what's actually said- Mojang's physical developments are very anti-modding at the moment; for a "released/finalised game" these code restructures have thrown everything back into a state of perpetual alpha- which makes maintaining a mod needlessly more resource intensive than it otherwise would be.

In the long term [years at this rate] it may be worthwhile for modders- but for now we're better off sticking on the current MC version until theres a working API.
Access to a stable code base would free up a lot of dev time- allowing for more intecrate, complex mod behaviour, and make modding itself more accessible to new devs. We can continue building our own APIs, to service our needs without wreaking havoc with our current progress.
This is of course assuming Mojang's API will at some stage be a) actually working and b) practical to use- otherwise there's no point at all in using it. If theres no point in using it- theres no point in porting to that MC version.
At least if we stay on our current version then we'll be in a strong position to continue developing our own APIs without rebuilding everything.
If the official API ever becomes useable and viable- then everything breaks once, rather than every X months.​

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Most modders probably won't update to 1.8.
Due to all the changes to the way stuff such as rendering works it is unlikely that we'll see big mods make it past 1.7.

I disagree. Just look at the chunk generation issues re-introduced with 1.7.10... The multithreading of chunk generation and the change so that MC only renders what you see instead of every chunk to bedrock are reasons enough to upgrade.

Add to that the fact that the internal changes have already been or are being made to 1.8 that will allow UUIDs to be implemented (the ability to re-name your logon account without causing inventory or white/blacklist issues), probably in 1.9?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree. Just look at the chunk generation issues re-introduced with 1.7.10... The multithreading of chunk generation and the change so that MC only renders what you see instead of every chunk to bedrock are reasons enough to upgrade.

Add to that the fact that the internal changes have already been or are being made to 1.8 that will allow UUIDs to be implemented (the ability to re-name your logon account without causing inventory or white/blacklist issues), probably in 1.9?
I don't fully understand the changes to code in 1.8 but from what I understand mods that have blocks that can have multiple possible states (carpenters blocks, machines, etc.) are going to be a real PITA the code/update

SkyHook

Jul 29, 2019
Not even being worked on. 1.8 is.......terrible, in numerous ways, so quite frankly there isn't a ton of incentive to make mods for it compared to 1.7. Actually, my 1.7 world has all major 1.8 features ported over anyway via Botania and Gany's mods.

I would not be surprised if 1.8 is skipped entirely. I honestly hope that to be the case, because we really do need to give the poor modders a break.

Wow. I didn't know that people hated MC 1.8, but I feared that was the case, considering the complete lack of news too. The reason that I want to wait until 1.8 is the reported vast improvements to performance in the newest release. I thought modders would jump all over this, but it appears that the "improvements" have done many things to upset the modding community. My question to the community is this: If I experienced slowdown with 1.6.4+, will 1.7 or 1.8 be better for me?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
From what I've heard- the improvements/optimisations and the 15Gb .jsons needed for separate blocks might be unrelated code. [the latter being mod API related]

If you want better performance; experiment with optifine/fastcraft, JVM arguments, and your computer/graphic settings
- everyone says something different and they never state which mod version on which MC version.

dragonmaster0283

Jul 29, 2019
Its pretty common that the main mod packs will be about 1 full version behind. Its been this way for quite some time actually as well. Ultimate 1.4 was around until the 1.6 version came out so most mods updated mostly to Unleashed series 1.5. Then Monster came around around 1.7's release and now the 1.7 packs are coming out around the 1.8 release.

We'll prob see 1.8 mods coming out around the time 1.9 gets released. It just takes time.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
The latest version of forge is not released so us mod devs cant develop our mods in 1.8 yet.

Sent from my flux armor using the tappatalk app from the flux store

Reactions: GreenZombie