Why is there a hole in my world

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Merachon

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,
Not sure why this is happening, but occasionally when flying around my world, I have found long 'ravines' in my world that are dead straight running for about 128 blocks, that go to the void, but you cannot walk into them, or fly into them.

Could anybody shed any light on this matter please,

Thank you very much

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a chunk loading error. Try changing your rendering distance (F3+F, I think), this should remove that problem.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with the others, it's a chunk loading error. It's like the rendering process having a hiccup (leaving a few chunks in a row unrendered) and then continuing on as if nothing happened. Relogging usually indeed helps to fix those spots, as the render >usually< fills those in when visiting them again. Apart of that, there are external methods to repair these, namely programs like MCedit and the like. But beware: I do not know of ANY minecraft-editor, that works along with all the mods in FTB. Meaning, if you do indeed fix a chunk via MCedit, your base will turn into a huge pile of pumkins, fences and sponge. Rumor has it, that this might change in one of the future versions of MCE.. but afaik that's just that, rumors about the future.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with the others, it's a chunk loading error. It's like the rendering process having a hiccup (leaving a few chunks in a row unrendered) and then continuing on as if nothing happened. Relogging usually indeed helps to fix those spots, as the render >usually< fills those in when visiting them again. Apart of that, there are external methods to repair these, namely programs like MCedit and the like. But beware: I do not know of ANY minecraft-editor, that works along with all the mods in FTB. Meaning, if you do indeed fix a chunk via MCedit, your base will turn into a huge pile of pumkins, fences and sponge. Rumor has it, that this might change in one of the future versions of MCE.. but afaik that's just that, rumors about the future.
If it is only a chunkloading error, you don't need any external programs. Just telling the program to re-render everything works, like changing the render distance or relogging.
Chunk errors, which aren't fixed by this, can be fixed by MCEdit without corrupting your base. It is just important, that the ONLY thing you do is deleting the chunk with the chunk tools, since this won't change anything else.

P.S.: Always backup before using external tools.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Yep & its more noticeable from last update its happening rather a lot in my 1 year ftb map.

Spikednate12

Nov 14, 2012
A convention of creepers got together and decided that it would be a great way to get noticed.