Why is optifine bad?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
I recently read where someone was saying that optifine is a bad thing to use. I dont use it now but have in the past and it did help my framerate. What is it that makes it a bad thing to use?

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine causes crashes. Lots of crashes. That mod devs/pack support are always being bugged to solve.

That's basically the whole story there.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
As far as I understand it the ways Optifine works and forge used to work were not actually technically legal according to the Minecraft Eula(or whatever the legal jargon is called). Neither were ever sanctioned for this but forge chose to correct this and change some of the base code to make it line up with the terms of use. However the author of Optifine did not and this caused the two to become forever incompatible. Which is REALLY sad. Optifine did so many great things to improve performance and/or graphics.
Believe there are a few other mods out there that does a FEW things that optifine did, but nothing to replace it completely.

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
Is not that is bad or good, is just that it work for some and not for others. Optfine is know for causing bugs with certain mods but if it works fine for you and you think the FPS boost is worth the risk, then go ahead and use. Just remember that FTB don't offer support if you're using it.

Reactions: lavarthan