Why I play Minecraft...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GrumpyOldG

Jul 29, 2019
In light of the recent nastiness in the FTB forums over the use of certain mods and what they bring to the game or don't bring to the game, I wanted to make a thread to remind us why we love this game.

I play Minecraft because of its variety; because every person who falls in love with this game approaches it from a different standpoint. I love playing on servers because of these different approaches. You have some who build, some who blow tech up to an amazing level, others love the redstone mechanisms they make, still more love complexity and difficulty. The list could go on and on.

Please remember that there are MANY ways to play Minecraft. Just because you don't approach modded Minecraft in a certain way, doesn't mean someone else will approach it the same. I love the spirit of helpfulness we have had in the FTB community. Can we keep this as a goal as we approach this dynamic game that we all love, and lay off the hate and arguments arising from the use or non-use of mods or techniques that differ from the "norm".

You all are the best...let's keep it that way?

Grumpy

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently the magic fabricator has an essence limit that prevents diamonds/emeralds being used in it. Never used it myself.
The problems arise when the minium stone allows gold-diamond trading. Not that diamonds are particularly expensive in FTB anyways...
The EXTREMELY cheap flight is the one thing that annoys me so far however, I think its just too early. Im not suggesting GT powersuit recipes or anything, just some way to make the flight spell be slightly more expensive, but not purely mana-wise.
Also, afaik channel essence lets you convert mana to raw essense. Raw essence can then be converted back into more mana than used to create it. hmm.
Same for the healing ring/life tap combo etc, I doubt that was meant to be used like that.
The fact that you require world gen to learn spells may make it problematic on large servers - i thought the research would prevent this, but alas - it uses world gen books to do its thing. Argh, same deal woth ender bees and the like, im fine with other people having things, but if them having them eans that I can't, then I get annoyed.

The different runes per person epr play is pretty cool, however unlucky people a la SOTMead get screwed and need lapis for everything.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently the magic fabricator has an essence limit that prevents diamonds/emeralds being used in it. Never used it myself.

It sure doesn't stop us. If you use CoFH world (and most everyone on 1.5.1 should be unless they enjoy really poor integration) then all base metals can be fabricated. If you use Forestry and ExtraBees, then every gem can be fabricated. Ars costing of blocks is based off vanilla rarity, so for example if you can fabricate chiseled stone from stone bricks then you can radically increase your essence production to hours of work to minutes with just a wee bit of automation. DoctorOr's linkbook on the nexus is set attractively on platinum blocks that he fabricated in this method.

The EXTREMELY cheap flight is the one thing that annoys me so far however, I think its just too early. Im not suggesting GT powersuit recipes or anything, just some way to make the flight spell be slightly more expensive, but not purely mana-wise.

IC2 makes flight extremely cheap as well (even in GT hardmode!), and it's generally better-behaved than Ars flight which likes to uncerimoniously drop you out of the sky. See Way of Time's stream for how he managed to get really good reagent-less flight; it was hugely more expensive and involved than "I have an electric jetpack."

Same for the healing ring/life tap combo etc, I doubt that was meant to be used like that.

They showed it to the author on DW20's youtube series and he liked it. I'm told he suggested they try and make a better version using spell combinations. Ars cannot fit well in modpacks based around scarcity. I think Ars is great and fits well with packs centered around big builds. But people who want some kind of "hardcore gregtech" experience–the kind of people who prefer progression and explicit goals laid out before them by a mod–they're not going to like Ars.

Reactions: Hoff

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I find Minecraft to be one of the most relaxing games I have ever played (Until a creeper sneaks up on me). I love Minecraft whenever I am feeling like sitting back and enjoying myself (While, whenever I feel angry at something, or just generally not relaxed, I will play some TF2!)

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft is a game where if I'm bored I can run around in my world aimlessly without getting bored. Its also fun for me when I hop on my server with my friends and just chill.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I try to think of legos. But functional legos.

I also like making themed things like a TF2 Red-team style tnt factory.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft is the most creative game I have ever played, probably the most creative game ever made.
(By creative I mean allowing the player to be creative)

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to find something to argue with, but I think you're right. It depends on your definition of "game", though.
images

-Chris Crawford's definition of game. And probably the most accurate one we have so far.
You can see more here: