Why i hate Xycraft

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree: XyCraft shouldn't be part of the FTB modpacks, according to the established guidelines for including mods. Several things make XyCraft especially vexing:
  1. It adds an unnecessarily massive amount of material to worldgen, all of which is almost entirely useless. Read that again, because this alone should have excluded the mod as unfit. At the very, very least, all but one color of Xychorium should have been cut pending uses for the rest, and Quartz yanked entirely.
  2. No configuration options exist to address these problems. When a WIP mod is shoe-horned into a modpack, useless materials should be disabled by default---not forced upon players and servers with nothing more than the vague promise of future utility.
  3. The XyCraft tanks do copy, then render obsolete, the tanks from RailCraft. Sure, there's some wiggle-room in here... but when a WIP mod's first and only actual feature is to undermine something we already have, giving it a passing grade should require a standard that's a little higher than "wiggle-room".
I don't often hold opinions strongly enough to warrant a rant like the above, but myself and everyone on my server holds XyCraft in very, very low regard at the moment. Its footprint on our world is vastly disproportionate to its value, and it beats out every other gripe I hear by leaps and bounds.

Importantly, this hurts XyCraft as much as it hurts FTB: The sour taste left by XyCraft in its current state will remain long after Soaryn has released enough features to warrant quarries that glitter like Christmas trees and sorting systems thwarted by that damnable Quartz.

esotericist

Jul 29, 2019
Obviously you haven't read the changelog, go to my post and look at the xycraft changes. I think I am going to keep my xychorium

Is there supposed to be some kind of revelation in the changelog that contradicts Eunomiac's general position? If there's anything besides the quartz stacking change (the only thing remotely relevant here), I can't see it; I read over the XyCraft entry in your changelog post twice and I'm still agreeing with Eunomiac.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Is there supposed to be some kind of revelation in the changelog that contradicts Eunomiac's general position? If there's anything besides the quartz stacking change (the only thing remotely relevant here), I can't see it; I read over the XyCraft entry in your changelog post twice and I'm still agreeing with Eunomiac.
1. The part about having too much useless xychorium, we now have 7 new machines that can use these xychorium and 38 new decorative blocks. I also personally use the xychorium blocks for houses as I think it is quite stylish
2. This is the only true gripe in his post that I can't back up. There is no configs but I am pretty sure that we will be using the xychorium a bit more, especially with the new power features that he is talking about
3. He said that the only true new feature is a replacement for tanks which in my opinion are a lot better than existing tanks which can goto size 12x12. Also the newer blocks such as Fabricators and 5 elemental blocks are also quite useful, fabricators are our new autocrafting table allowing for more compact factories which auto produce items with tiring recipes. Also we now have a one block infinite water source.

Also, lets say that we remove xychorium all together, all that is gonna do is give you more stone to mine and I don't think you have a shortage on that.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
I hadn't read that changelog, and I'm very intrigued---definitely a lot of changes I need to look into before I rest on those earlier statements. I think the new features are quite exciting (I've been a sucker for everything Earth/Air/Fire/Water since Captain Planet... not to mention Avatar).

There are a few points on which I won't waver, though.

First, given Xycraft's footprint in worldgen, its addition to FTB was premature. Now would have been a good time to introduce XyCraft, not before. The avowed purpose of an FTB modpack is to provide players with quality mods offering new avenues of play; spamming FTB worlds with irksome complications---"usefulness pending, build barrels in the meantime!"---was a mistake I hope won't be repeated.

Second, I have a great deal of respect for covertjaguar and RailCraft, and really don't like how RailCraft tanks---which are very balanced, in my opinion---are being so blatantly undercut by XyCraft's new tanks. Carving out a new niche while leaving room for the pre-existing features of other mods is golden... but offering a cheaper, nearly-identical replacement that obsoletes the competition feels like predatory pricing.

Reactions: VikeStep

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Imo RC tanks and Xycraft tanks tend to fulfill different roles, RC tanks are incredibly useful for small storage solutions and in general small tanks tend to be what you use the most of, but Xycraft tanks are more easily built for mass storage of bulk liquids.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Seeing as I won't use Railcraft, I am very happy that Xycraft has an alternate solutions for tanks along the style of RC iron tanks. I certainly won't install a mod I don't like just for the use of the Iron tanks, now I have an option.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

SaintNicster

Jul 29, 2019
Second, I have a great deal of respect for covertjaguar and RailCraft, and really don't like how RailCraft tanks---which are very balanced, in my opinion---are being so blatantly undercut by XyCraft's new tanks. Carving out a new niche while leaving room for the pre-existing features of other mods is golden... but offering a cheaper, nearly-identical replacement that obsoletes the competition feels like predatory pricing.
You get what you pay for.

If you create a 3x3x4 tank from each mod
Railcraft - stores 576 buckets
Xycraft - stores 32 buckets

Reactions: MagusUnion

Kaminho

Jul 29, 2019
another big BUG!

when u set up ur steve's cart miner he will turn back when he meet quartz crystal because cart cant put rail on it! big big big mistake!!

but in the other side, u can say its steve's cart fault. But still i blame xycraft for that coz this mod is younger and author should predict that

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
currently I don't see the point of having differently colored ores (and they glow in an annoying way). how about just one type and if needed recolor them with dyes.

as for those tanks: for water or similar simple liquids, a railcraft tank is too expensive. but for the more expensive liquids, it offers a too easy way to store liquids. it even seems to be ridiculous to store helium in an iron tank from railcraft, so it's even more ridiculous to have helium in a stone brick tank. so how about a limitation that only allows liquids to be stored in appropriate tanks. so, helium should be at least in a reinforced stone tank. and since strong nuclears reactors are easily obtainable, the need for reinforced stone is... nearly zero.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I saw someone complain that RC tanks used up too much iron, so they used Multitanks. Guess what the frame was? Iron Blocks.

Reactions: Lambert2191

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
another big BUG!

when u set up ur steve's cart miner he will turn back when he meet quartz crystal because cart cant put rail on it! big big big mistake!!

but in the other side, u can say its steve's cart fault. But still i blame xycraft for that coz this mod is younger and author should predict that
Hey , before you go running your mouth and insult other modders, why don't you do a little research first? This isn't even a bug in Steve Carts or Xycraft, it's the way tracks work. Steve Carts carts can't place tracks on blocks that have a custom render and hit box (this is actually a vanilla mechanic), like Red Power Microblocks, or Xycraft quartz crystals, or torches. So no, this isn't a bug with Xycraft, it's a "bug" with the way tracks can be placed in Minecraft, and has nothing to do with Xycraft.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Kaminho

Jul 29, 2019
i did not insult anyone, learn to read

Imo it is fault of xycraft, what problem is with remaking crystals? it can be repaired im 100% sure, if some mods are able to put tracks on air, or if crystals get similar data as cobblestone for the instance or many more options

We discuss here what is wrong with xycraft, and by such topics designers of that mod can improve it, it is nothing bad with it.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say just do what Thaumcraft does, put them into blocks and get the crystals when you break them.
There's no real reason to have the crystals themselves on the world gen anyways.

Its like having Iron ingots just popping out in air pockets for no reason.

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
You get what you pay for.

If you create a 3x3x4 tank from each mod
Railcraft - stores 576 buckets
Xycraft - stores 32 buckets

Yup... and two BC tanks can hold the same as the 'large' Xycraft tank...

But with Railcraft, you get more storage per space than you do with BC. So it's an upgrade of that system regardless...

Edit: In an ironic sort of way, Xycraft seems like the inefficiency tech between starting out, to really using your resources well. I'm actually taking advantage of multiplying my Copper reserves with green xybars (got to add a few extra ingots in to balance that out, however). But cheap canning, and extra aspect resource, are the reasons why I keep the mod..

Ironically, I use Xycraft for everything NOT Xycraft related. You can be the judge of how good/bad that is...

meuqsaco

Jul 29, 2019
Xycraft sucks right now, period. It adds too much worldgen crap without nearly no functionality. Why this mod was added so early is beyond me... Now, I'm pretty sure it is going to be a good mod, but why won't the author simply turn down the ammount of generated ores while it's useless? I now have a world full of his crap and pretty much just void it.

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
Xycraft sucks right now, period. It adds too much worldgen crap without nearly no functionality. Why this mod was added so early is beyond me... Now, I'm pretty sure it is going to be a good mod, but why won't the author simply turn down the ammount of generated ores while it's useless? I now have a world full of his crap and pretty much just void it.
The stuff HAS uses, from construction blocks to a variety of basic machines. maybe you don't think that it's enough, but that's why they allow you do disable mods in the launcher -- if you disagree with the decision that the mod belongs in the modpack, then remove it. it's not difficult, in fact it's probably easier than ranting about how it doesn't belong (and it's DEFINITELY easier than convincing the team to remove it).

Reactions: seannyyx