Why Feed the Beast SHOULD launch without RedPower or Thaumcraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Well said sir. I don't know about Azanor but Eloraam seems like a perfectionist, she wants her code exactly right before she releases it. This to me makes her work worth waiting for, I know when it drops it will surpass expectations. I remember the run up to PR5B2, it was a long wait but computers and frames had us all with our jaws on the floor when it was finally released.

I'm going to be starting a new world when Redpower etc are in anyway. In my current one I've abused the crap out of IC2 sans gregtech to get rich, so I can spend it all on steam power, forestry chipsets, iron tanks, steves carts, autarchic gates, Thermal Expansion and all the other fun new toys we have to play with. There's plenty to be going on with I think. I couldn't complain if I tried :)

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
Well said sir. I don't know about Azanor but Eloraam seems like a perfectionist, she wants her code exactly right before she releases it. This to me makes her work worth waiting for, I know when it drops it will surpass expectations. I remember the run up to PR5B2, it was a long wait but computers and frames had us all with our jaws on the floor when it was finally released.

I'm going to be starting a new world when Redpower etc are in anyway. In my current one I've abused the crap out of IC2 sans gregtech to get rich, so I can spend it all on steam power, forestry chipsets, iron tanks, steves carts, autarchic gates, Thermal Expansion and all the other fun new toys we have to play with. There's plenty to be going on with I think. I couldn't complain if I tried :)

ive never used frames, and the little work ive done with the computers was hindered by how annoying forth is. ill stick to CC, lua is practicly made for scripting and thats all you really need it to do in minecraft. plus just being able to edit a program makes CC so far superior that the redpower computers are a footnote, i think eloraam should stick to what she started out doing making cool machines that are simple so we dont have to take a masters course to understand how to use it.

Fuzzzie

Jul 29, 2019
I certainly don't think RP2 is necessary for the release of the mod pack.

I think a lot of people were hoping that FTB would launch with RP2 and when they learned it wouldn't it caused disappointment. I personally think Elo has made an excellent mod but has done a poor job at communicating with the community. There really should be more official updates rather than "go watch direwolfs videos". That said, these sorts of threads have the tendency to drag on for page after page of people complaining about a mods release and people defending the mod author. I'll be patient and wait for it too. Just wish we had a little more word on it.

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
ive never used frames, and the little work ive done with the computers was hindered by how annoying forth is. ill stick to CC, lua is practicly made for scripting and thats all you really need it to do in minecraft. plus just being able to edit a program makes CC so far superior that the redpower computers are a footnote, i think eloraam should stick to what she started out doing making cool machines that are simple so we dont have to take a masters course to understand how to use it.

Yeah I agree about the forth, I have no idea with it either and much prefer CC. People who could use them loved them though. Frames on the other hand are great fun once you get the hang, I usually control them with a combination of CC, wireless redstone and logic gates. Try 'em out sometime, there's something particularly satisfying about getting a remote control flying saucer to go pick up mob spawners for you :D

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
RP isn't really necessary for the release. The tight schedule of new MC-Releases makes it very hard to make something stable. It isn't that much work that needs to be done from 1.4.2 to 1.4.4 but it is delay.

Thaumcraft and Redpower both have different reasons for not being in the pack at release. Thaumcraft just isn't finished. It is a mod that is barely done and it causes a lot of problems as it is often visible in Streams from ForgeCraft. A release is miles away and people should understand this. Redpower is in a better situation, but here and there it seems that small problems plop up which needs to be solved. There might be modders who would release the mod under this conditions, but eloraam should be known for not doing this.

I'm not sure if slow has spoken with eloraam, but he needs to meet her in a perfect mood to make her release something that she herself feels not ready to be released. That might be how she works, and nobody here is in the position to question it.

The question of releasing actually does not even exist. If people don't want FTB to be released without Redpower or TC3, they should just not use the pack without Redpower or TC3. But there are a lot of people out there that are happy to enjoy a great Pack with easy installation that gives players a lot of opportunities. Some might even use the chance to increase their knowledge over the other mods in the pack or maybe some are totally new to certain mods. Releasing the pack now just gives people the option to work with some of the mods to get a feel for them. I know, for people used to redpower this is pretty tough, since redpower leaves a gap, that is hard to fill with other mods. But it is totally possible to enjoy the FTB-Pack without Redpower and I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy it.

You should understand that the computer in Redpower has a completly different audience than the CC-Computer. You could do a lot more with the Redpower-Computer. The Redpower-Computer actually is a real computer. But you are right the CC-Computer has a wider audience, since programming with it is a lot easier, but well it isn't a real computer it is just software you access that uses lua, while Redpower emulates a real computer (well a MOS6502 if I'm not mistaken).

meh still sounds like alot of functionality i wont spend the time reasearching, ive never liked having to do in game reasearch, well there was one game, but that one it was a minigame that you had to play, with matching chemical compounds, for every level you won you got a new compound you could combine ingame, it worked really well.

Funny enough TC3-Research is just that. Every Item in the game and even some ModItems to have research-properties. To research you just have to throw the right stuff together to get the aspects for research you need and you are done. It is not really a timesink but you might need a lot of ressources for some stuff.

It is a pretty cool system that is not to complicated to allow easy access, but it is complex enough to make you looking forward for a new discovery.

Oh and TC3 now has the RichardG-Door that randomly trolls you by not opening (it is one of the bugs which are the reason why TC3 will not be in the pack :p).

MektonZero

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah mine too but i think most people that are complaining about waiting for RP or TC willt not read that much

What else do they have to do until they come out? :)

Do I wish RP was out already? Of course, it's become vital to how I do things. I've learned to think of solutions in terms of Redpower. But I'd rather have any mod done right rather than see some crudely hacked update that requires half a dozen frustrating waits for patches for major bugs that would have made it all but unplayable. We get it when it's done and there will be much rejoicing.

You should understand that the computer in Redpower has a completly different audience than the CC-Computer. You could do a lot more with the Redpower-Computer. The Redpower-Computer actually is a real computer. But you are right the CC-Computer has a wider audience, since programming with it is a lot easier, but well it isn't a real computer it is just software you access that uses lua, while Redpower emulates a real computer (well a MOS6502 if I'm not mistaken).

To be fair, they are both emulated computers. No need to talk about "real" computers which has the connotation that CC is somehow inferior or that RP users are superior. RP Computers are also just software that emulates a processor, usually via FORTH for the 9,999/10,000 of us who aren't up to speed on Assembler. CC is a lot easier for people who didn't learn to program in the 1970s because of Lua's libraries, they are powerful collections of functions that each and every RP user would have to program for themselves from scratch.

CC picked up a bit of a bad reputation in it's early days of SMP but those problems have long since been fixed. RP computers are capped at 20k operations per second (in assembler) and FORTH is pretty streamlined and probably one of the fastest languages you could be using but seriously, how many people are running a RP program that needs anything close to 1k operations per tick to function? What I currently don't know about CC is how resource intensive it is, especially when multiple Turtles are being controlled. RP computers seem like they would be easier for a large server to handle, but I've got no evidence for that.

Jul 29, 2019
Well said man I love that you think that "when is red power going to be out?" I don't know but just because I wish it does not mean its going to happen and yes I know she's working hard and (clap) for eloraam and well ya I guess Azanor as well

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I agree about the forth, I have no idea with it either and much prefer CC. People who could use them loved them though. Frames on the other hand are great fun once you get the hang, I usually control them with a combination of CC, wireless redstone and logic gates. Try 'em out sometime, there's something particularly satisfying about getting a remote control flying saucer to go pick up mob spawners for you :D

well i know how they work ive watched countless youtube videos of the 3 dimensional engines and other than that its really not that hard i suppose, i love the logic gates too, (t-flipflop in one block?! FTW!!!) its really not that hard to create a frame machine all you need is 300 or so statecells and then you can have it do everything you want step by fps vaporizing step.

bhblacky

Jul 29, 2019
somebody else cannot cheat a linking book? i get the message error unknown item id

tried to create a mining age until rp2, ee and thaumcraft will be out

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
The real reason RP isn't in the pack yet is precisely this. She will release it on her site first. Get all her hits for the 8 different downloads on ad fly, then it will be added to the pack. If you think otherwise you are fooling yourself. She knows damn well how much she can generate doing it this way. The alternative is what Slowpoke said, all donations to FTB will be split amongst the devs.

That is what I would do. Just a smart business woman. Kudos Eloraam.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
The real reason RP isn't in the pack yet is precisely this. She will release it on her site first. Get all her hits for the 8 different downloads on ad fly, then it will be added to the pack. If you think otherwise you are fooling yourself. She knows damn well how much she can generate doing it this way. The alternative is what Slowpoke said, all donations to FTB will be split amongst the devs.

That is what I would do. Just a smart business woman. Kudos Eloraam.

Hits with the same IP don't count a lot. Having only one Link would generate just as much money as having 8 since I doubt that people change their IP between the downloads.

MisterFro9

Jul 29, 2019
I would I agree that it should have released. However, without RP2, possibilities and designs become much more tedious. Therefore I shall just patiently wait :)