Why don't people like IC2 anymore?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I thought they were trying to keep the original feel of ic2, which i liked. Im sure if they just scrapped the whole look and went with an entirely new design, there would be a 15 page thread here on why ic2 textures should have stayed more like the original. ;)

There will ALWAYS be those that disagree with the direction anyone takes on any and everything. "That's life!"

Though as much as I dislike all the IC2 devs, I will credit them with being much more civilized about the mainstream generally being against the current changes rather than some other devs. It really does give me at least a slight amount of hope that I might enjoy IC2 again at some point.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I thought they were trying to keep the original feel of ic2, which i liked. Im sure if they just scrapped the whole look and went with an entirely new design, there would be a 15 page thread here on why ic2 textures should have stayed more like the original. ;)
Yes, they are, almost. It's still the bland white boxes, with a little bit of detail, but since they are using 32x, it needs a bit of shading on the textures. They look too flat for the detail being represented.
One texture those sticks out badly is the CESU (I think that's what it's called), you have this bank of machines in similar white block scheme, and near to them a orange/brown "thing" that looks out of place.

Reactions: RedBoss

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's not the line of thinking of my fellow players. They just want that simple infrastructure so they can concentrate on "cool", "fun" stuff.
In that case that would be PvE or PvP exquipment like weapons, armor, utitity gear, it would also be content to explore like dungeons or monsters to fight like Ars Magica 2's end bosses.

Sounds to me like you need an RPG and not a tech mod game. Why not remove the tech mods and put in twilight forest and other RPG mods?

Yes, they are, almost. It's still the bland white boxes, with a little bit of detail, but since they are using 32x, it needs a bit of shading on the textures. They look too flat for the detail being represented.
One texture those sticks out badly is the CESU (I think that's what it's called), you have this bank of machines in similar white block scheme, and near to them a orange/brown "thing" that looks out of place.

I see your point. As long as an MFE has one single pixel on it other than the dot for power, ill be happy. :) or did they get rid of mfes? lol

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I see your point. As long as an MFE has one single pixel on it other than the dot for power, ill be happy. :) or did they get rid of mfes? lol
Not sure, the entire power changes in IC2 totally confuse me. I think a MFSE is equivalent to the old MFSU.

I have been giving a lot of thought about what you need in a tech environment. Being a sandbox, it can be done, if you can find someone to make those changes. Needs a bit more then config tweaks.

Firstly, by restricting yourself to IC2 with GregTech for your needs, you are depriving yourself of other mods and the fun that can be gained from them. Most of those mods are designed around the minecraft simple recipes approach, a few crafting steps, and not overly expensive. While some of these mods have configs that allow for slightly more expensive recipes, they are not expensive enough for your tastes.

The base problem then is the excessive resources you can gain with vanilla, so it's vanilla that needs to change, not the mods.

Let's start with Ores. Did you know, in default minecraft, there's a maximum potential of 160 Iron Ore blocks per chunk and 320 Coal Ore blocks? Thats a lot, but due to how the generation works, you'll get around 50-75% of that in reality.

One option is to reduce the ore generation. That will slow things down across all mods, and require more power generation for any form of automated mining. The down side is that the world is going to be pretty empty underground.

The other option, which I jokingly suggested somewhere but is in fact a good alternative, is to make it that Ores are smelted into nuggets. Every mod then in effect has 9x the ore requirements to before, and also then 9x the power requirements to cook those ores (due to nuggets>ingots). That's quite a major change. Those potential 160 Iron Ore would then turn into 17 ingots! That makes ore processing vital and requires a nugget to ingot processing system, and drastically increases the value of any ingots found on mobs/dungeon loot. Down side to that is you need a modder to be able to make this change, not only to vanilla, but to all other mods ores too.

Next, the Flora and Fauna. Even with minecrafts accelerated timescale, of 24 hours = 20 minutes game time, trees and plants grow insanely fast. Minecraftopia doesn't suffer from deforestation as a result, and it's inhabitants never starve (for long)!
While you wouldn't want realistic growing times, extending the growing time of all flora would drastically change things. If a tree took 7 real days to grow, that's 8 minecraft days (I think). You'll be needing all that coal ore until you can scrape up the resources for renewable sources such as solar, wind turbines, bio-systems. The effect of bonemeal would also have to be reduced even further.
You can still have automated tree farms, but you'll need 6-7 large fields all running to match what you can get from one.

With the Fauna, longer duration between breeding and slower child growth would hamper your progress.

Hunger Overhaul can adjust Flora and Fauna, plus a lot of extra stuff I don't personally care for. Used it for a while on our server. Didn't notice that much difference in crop or tree growth (although the configs did say it should have taken longer), but did notice that babies took a lot longer to grow - down side to that is more entities around, so potential for lag.

[JBG]Magikarp

Jul 29, 2019
I dont like ic2 anymore, because it got way too expensive to make all the machines and it is too complicated ( uu-matter, iridium, purified crushed uranium, are you kidding me?), the only reason I still use it is the jetpack n stuff

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The other option, which I jokingly suggested somewhere but is in fact a good alternative, is to make it that Ores are smelted into nuggets. Every mod then in effect has 9x the ore requirements to before, and also then 9x the power requirements to cook those ores (due to nuggets>ingots).

Next, the Flora and Fauna. Even with minecrafts accelerated timescale, of 24 hours = 20 minutes game time, trees and plants grow insanely fast. Minecraftopia doesn't suffer from deforestation as a result, and it's inhabitants never starve (for long)!
While you wouldn't want realistic growing times, extending the growing time of all flora would drastically change things. If a tree took 7 real days to grow, that's 8 minecraft days (I think). You'll be needing all that coal ore until you can scrape up the resources for renewable sources such as solar, wind turbines, bio-systems.

You've been reading FlowerChild's dev notes.
(its an epic mod mind)

Reactions: Padfoote

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
While you wouldn't want realistic growing times, extending the growing time of all flora would drastically change things. If a tree took 7 real days to grow, that's 8 minecraft days (I think).
If a tree in Minecraft took seven real days, that'd be 504 Minecraft days (7 days * 24 hours * 60 minutes / 20 minutes [length of a Minecraft day]).

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any ways that people think IC2 can be buffed so that it has more viability? Step one in my opinion would be the removal of hammers and cutters in my opinion. While realistic, they make for a severe pain in the ass.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Are there any ways that people think IC2 can be buffed so that it has more viability? Step one in my opinion would be the removal of hammers and cutters in my opinion. While realistic, they make for a severe pain in the ass.
It isn't a matter of buffing IC2 to make it viable. It is already powerful enough. In fact, one of the more powerful mods out there. It was the pioneer of electric tools, it has armor that can make you literally invincible, and it has UUM for making darn near anything in the game a renewable resource (given enough energy).

The problem with it is that it is horridly punishing and punitive. However, if that was taken away, you'd almost have to tone some things down, because it would suddenly become WinMode.

Balance is a complex thing. It is rarely as easy as tweaking a few numbers. To bring IC2 into balance, it would require a massive overhaul of some fundamental concepts and principles inherent in the mod design.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
That's rather easy.
  1. Machines don't explode.
  2. Revert UUM.
  3. Remove hammers/wirecutters.
I can almost gaurentee that would solve most people's gripes about IC2 right now.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Not mine. I'd still find no use for IC2. Maybe if you had a 4th one, add worthwhile machines.
And this relates to my question as well. What features could IC2 add that would make it worthwhile to use? I honestly can't think of anything because all the other mods pretty much cover everything IC2 offers extensively, unless they make a new branch of super electric tools.

Reactions: Padfoote

Kazune

Jul 29, 2019
Not mine. I'd still find no use for IC2. Maybe if you had a 4th one, add worthwhile machines.

I'm in general agreement with most points made throughout the thread regarding the disappointing e-net changes and the uninspired "revamp" with recipes (exchanging minecraft resources for the user's sanity). I'm especially in agreement with this statement.. Sadly, the only machine from IC2 I use with any serious intention (as part of automation/tech), is the industrial furnace (at least until TE adds the ability to upgrade its machines).

I don't mind the UU matter changes, but would like it to be usable for more items than it can currently be used for (scanner does not recognize leather.. frakking.. leather...) to feel more like end game. I don't mind the hammer and wire cutters, but I don't like that they don't last at all. I have regained some sanity though when I discovered the metal former can be automated through the ME interface.

The orewashing and thermal centrifuge machines I feel are a bit worthless, considering time, resource and energy costs to run compared to other options.

As for the net issues, IC2 has always featured machine explosions. Now it's been suggested before, but IC2 could use something like fuses and circuit breakers given explosions will likely stay; but have them as optional, not required items.
1.)Fuses (1 time use items) can maybe be used in a "fuse box" block that sits next to the machine; cabling is plugged into the fuse box rather than the machine directly. Perhaps tiered fuses to separate packet sizes? (Unless its set to detect the machines limits).
- 1 Fuse can be placed within the fuse box gui (has 1 slot) at a time, and is [the only thing] destroyed when overcharged is detected (as they are irl).
- If no fuse is present within the fuse box, there is no flow of power.
- Fuse box is required to sit next to a machine and has 1 input for energy and perhaps 1 output.

2.)Circuit breakers could be their own block that has a configurable gui that will allow the user to set when power supply is broken.
- Have it require wrenching when it needs to be reset (like TE's old magmatic/steam engines).
- Has 1 input and perhaps multiple outputs.

The wrench in general needs to change or have an upgrade to capacity/efficiency when operating lossless mode (being required to move machines).

Food for thought. What if the "industrial" versions of machines (like the industrial furnace) were changed to be larger multi-block structures, that are capable of processing more resources at a time and perhaps yield more; where yield and capacity is perhaps relative to size of the structure/upgrades, and other industrial related items... Railcraft attempts something like this with the rock crusher and steam oven. Gregtech has also lightly touched on it, but is [now] more of a total conversion than what I would like it to be.

Reactions: jokermatt999

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
And this relates to my question as well. What features could IC2 add that would make it worthwhile to use? I honestly can't think of anything because all the other mods pretty much cover everything IC2 offers extensively, unless they make a new branch of super electric tools.
I wouldn't fairly answer that question because I've decided not to use the mod anymore. I used it back when there were less options for mod armor, cool tools, and ore processing. I never cared for needing to carefully calculate voltage, wiring, etc. Some people do and I don't downplay that style, but that's not how I like to play.

I think in the current mod ecosystem that IC should do whatever they want in continuing their mod. Realistically there's just too many other options in tech & magic to harp anymore on IC changing things. It's actually fair that they become more niche in their mod design. The mod ecosystem is larger now. Just as burger joints try to distinguish themselves from one another, so to will the various mods that have similar functions

It must be harder for people who have played with IC for a long time, to stomach changes they don't care for. I understand that but there's just too many other options. Maybe looking in to those options is healthier and more fun than lamenting the changes to an old mod. The one thing I missed in IC was early flight via the jetpack. I asked the kind devs of Mekanism for an alternative and they gave me/us a cool jetpack that I love. (I'm ridiculously happy about that too. It took less than a week from my request to their delivery.)

Explosions, broken machines, and memories of noob frustration pushed me away from IC. I only ever used it because the Q-Suit was THE "it" armor at the time. Ichorium Gear is calling me now and I just don't have room for IC on the path to that. If you don't like IC, not only do you not have to use it, you have plenty of other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.