Why do you keep playing a world?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
Hello,

Every time I create a new world, I get about to the midgame then I feel like the world isn't everything I imagined in my head, my home or base isn't what I wanted it to be, and I feel like I messed up areas of the world beyond repair.

So, what makes you keep playing on a world?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I develop an overall theme for the world before I start. I then plan out every part of the builds in advance(it is just how my brain works). So the ideas are already very well established before I start building it. If I am in doubt about some thing, I map out things with a few blocks and then ponder over better solutions for some time.

I am also very careful about damaging the terrain in the Overworld. Mining/quarrying is only done in dedicated expendable worlds.

Also, nothing is ever beyond repair. With enough time and patience you can easily restore or change parts of the world terrain.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
I choose the ultimate tasks of the game: They have to be reasonably "hard" to get
Say:
tech reborn/gregtech/reika's fusion reactor
Automated, self sustaining quantum solar panels fatory with a certain production per minute.(no mining possible, all the stuff has to be generated in loco)
Automate the production of all thaumcraft/botania/ecc stuff.
so on so forth.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I develop an overall theme for the world before I start. I then plan out every part of the builds in advance(it is just how my brain works). So the ideas are already very well established before I start building it. If I am in doubt about some thing, I map out things with a few blocks and then ponder over better solutions for some time.

I am also very careful about damaging the terrain in the Overworld. Mining/quarrying is only done in dedicated expendable worlds.

Also, nothing is ever beyond repair. With enough time and patience you can easily restore or change parts of the world terrain.

I do exactly what this dude do, only not as well.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm the complete opposite, start a world, find somewhere to call home, and the surroundings give me an idea of what I want to build, and go from there.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I mix that in as well.

So, more accurately, what I do is I hit reset 500,000 times until I find terrain that inspires what I want to do. Then, I build a basic shelter to get started while I sit there meditating on the terrain and planning out the basics of what I want, planning out the whole basic idea first, then slowly going though and doing it bit by bit as needed/inspired. Sort of a mix between planned and improvised, mainly so there's flexibility to change the plan if it makes sense to.

Mainly when I do close a world down it's because it's been a while. Usually we will play a world until we get a break or three. Sometimes, that break goes on for too long and when I get that bug to play again, I want to just start over. But it's never been because I feel I built myself into a corner or anything. I definitely always plan out more than I actually build, and it can kind of get overwhelming, but that's never been the reason to start over. Usually I don't regret it, but the last one I really wish I had just continued.

I also like that I learn so much more each time so each time I start over, I'm better equipped to design an even better pack for myself and my friends. This current world is two full months in with steam to spare because of all of the older worlds I've built. This one is going the distance, too.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I don't keep playing a world... I delete everything whenever there's a minor update because I was bitten really hard several years ago when we still had static block IDs :D

Also, I have a bit of a procedural focus. I have more fun figuring out how to get to a certain point in the least amount of time. When I reach that point I pick an unfamiliar mod to figure out a next step.

After that frustrates me :D I start a new world and get back to the previous level while researching the mod I'd picked to learn.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I rarely worry about "pretty" considerations. I am a tech player and shape the world around me to my benefit.

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
Thanks all for your replies. Your answers are interesting. I wish I was a better builder so my fantasies could become reality hah

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I rarely worry about "pretty" considerations. I am a tech player and shape the world around me to my benefit.

See, I do this too, until I've got good power generation and some form of autocrafting. Then I look at building something and have a "moving" day :)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I go into a world with an intention of what I want to do. I've gone into a world intent on building trains, intent on doing magic, intent on building some fancy tech thing.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
My usual path to progression on any non-skyblock is to make basic tools and bed then go a hunting for a Village. Never fails, if I try to start somewhere not near a village I end up screwed/stuck needing Emeralds or something villager-ish. Once I've located a village I look for an interesting area far enough away from the village that it's not loaded and setup a basic house/crafting hut.

As I progress along I build everything out in the yard first and get it working.
Once I have a working tier 1 power system, if I can, I build a structure to move into and move the power system into the basement and start moving all systems into the main floor.

Some packs, like Age of Engineering, I repeat this process multiple times as the infrastructure gets bigger and bigger and more space is needed. Or I start building a campus of buildings to house each type of processing.

My buildings don't always come out looking that great, I'm no WelsKnight or SystemCollapse, but I think most of the time they come out looking decent.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
At the moment mostly 1.7.10 packs, because the 1.12 release is currently in alpha release. There was a 1.10 release, but it lacks the multiblocks.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I will do my trains eventually. I've gotten more of a feel for what they could potentially do from Factorio (I still gush every time I think of that Game, lol).

The pack I'm on now is intentionally EZ mode and the idea of moving anything on carts at this point is a huge downgrade. But, it's on my bucket list to go all the way through* Infinity hard mode one day (year). I will get the carts going then. Then once I know it like I know how to make spaghetti, I'll sprinkle it future creative packs fir the effect.