Why are these chunks ALWAYS loaded?!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Elmazz

Jul 29, 2019
Hello and sorry if i did something wrong already (eg wrong section) :D Please answer me why are these chunks loaded even if im not there? Picture in attached files! :D I dont have photoshop right now, so ya... PAINT:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    845.8 KB · Views: 171

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Spawn?

Edit: Some chunks around spawn are always loaded. Looks like that might be it, given the coordinates near them.

Elmazz

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to make spawn not loaded? Cuz i think that would make my SP server less laggy :S And tho... Why? I dont spawn there anymore... I spawn next to my bed in home :D

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
You could move the world spawn if you felt comfortable with something like MCEdit (or even NBTExplorer). I've never looked for a mod to do it, but it might be technically feasible; depends on how much Forge butts into vanilla there. A very brief googling didn't turn up anything that jumped out at me, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

For what it's worth, I don't think it would make the slightest difference to your experienced lag: since you're not nearby, the passive mobs aren't moving; any items that may have been present despawned ages ago; and hostile mobs despawn as soon as they show up, if they show up in the first place. Unless you specifically put something there to generate lag, it isn't doing anything. Maybe chewing up a bit of RAM, but it's a drop in the bucket at best.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
You won't get any FPS gains from it -- the chunks are too far away from you to be rendered. And 3 GB of RAM is just barely enough to run a mid-size mod pack and an OS at the same time (though that depends on the OS; Linux could let you get a bit deeper into the red before giving you trouble).

Good luck, but don't expect great results. The spawn chunks are unlikely to make much difference.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Loaded chunks don't use video resources, only some processor time and system RAM. Any effect on FPS will be negligible.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah its what has been dubbed as the "Spawn chunks". Its part of the vanilla MC engine. For what reason I am not entirely sure tbh. But AFAIK there are no ways of getting rid of them.

From what I gather they are also not really "truly" loaded. It is not like for example a chunkloader. Some processes can continue, but others cannot. So it won't eat too many resources.

Elmazz

Jul 29, 2019
One more question! :D How much ram does direwolf20 modpack need to not crash? coz i have allocated 2gb and i left with less than 1gb free ram and its probably why I lag so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
One more question! :D How much ram does direwolf20 modpack need to not crash? coz i have allocated 2gb and i left with less than 1gb free ram and its probably why I lag so much

It varies a lot depending on "size" of the world you load, if you play on a server or singleplayer etc. But recommended is indeed 2GB. And yeah if you only have 3GB total then you are almost certainly running out of memory and your machine have to resolve to using the pagefile(basically use your harddrive as RAM) which will make you lag like crazy.

You can check this out(atleast in win7) by opening the Task Manager, clicking over to the Performance Tab, click the "Resource Monitor" button. Then open the Memory tab. If the bar at the bottom is filled up with "In use" then yeah you have maxed out your RAM. You can then click the Disk tab and see that the top most user of your disk(s) is a process called pagefile.

Elmazz

Jul 29, 2019
It varies a lot depending on "size" of the world you load, if you play on a server or singleplayer etc. But recommended is indeed 2GB. And yeah if you only have 3GB total then you are almost certainly running out of memory and your machine have to resolve to using the pagefile(basically use your harddrive as RAM) which will make you lag like crazy.
I have heard of usb usage as ram... would it make direwolf20 modpack lag less for me if i enable that usb feature? i have only 8gb usb tho

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have heard of usb usage as ram... would it make direwolf20 modpack lag less for me if i enable that usb feature? i have only 8gb usb tho

No sadly not. That is a common mistake due to Microsoft writing a wrong description on what the "Readyboost" function actually does. It has nothing to do with RAM, but it makes the USB storage device serve as cashe for conventional style harddrives, making search time slightly faster. This does not work with SSDs obviously as they do not have searchtime and gain is limited with newer HDs as they already have inbuilt cashes.

You might want to consider either upgrading your RAM or trying the FTB lite pack instead. If you choose the FTB lite pack you can always add a few more lighter mods to it if your PC can handle it. The FTB lite pack is rather light by standard on purpose. So adding in 2-3 more mods should be possible.

Elmazz

Jul 29, 2019
oh ok... anyways, thx for sharing your knowlegde guys xD I dont know if i should close the thread or something now xD Im new in here ;D

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah its what has been dubbed as the "Spawn chunks". Its part of the vanilla MC engine. For what reason I am not entirely sure tbh.

The idea is that the chunks are loaded for you when you respawn. Completely unnecessary feature once you have a bed, though.

Elmazz

Jul 29, 2019
The idea is that the chunks are loaded for you when you respawn. Completely unnecessary feature once you have a bed, though.
But why arent chunks loaded next to the bed "for you when you respawn"?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Not if you are on a server though. New people coming in etc.

Yeah that is the big question? Why is it needed to load the chunks for you at your first spawn, but after that it doesn't matter one bit? We can spawn just fine at our beds located elsewhere without them being loaded.

It is probably some archaic leftover of an idea/bugfix during early development that was then just forgotten later on. Or it is simply too much work to remove it now than it is worth.

Reactions: YX33A

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's because there can be multiple beds in a world (especially on big servers). You'll only ever have one natural "spawn" location.

Elmazz

Jul 29, 2019
If I had to guess, I'd say that it's because there can be multiple beds in a world (especially on big servers). You'll only ever have one natural "spawn" location.
But dont servers keep all the chunks loaded?

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
But dont servers keep all the chunks loaded?

No. Servers load original spawn, a certain number of chunks around players, and chunks loaded by chunkloaders. There might be a small area in each dimension loaded too, but don't quote me on that.