why all the lag with monster?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

atomicgermx69

Jul 29, 2019
am running recommended vers. of monster on a 6gb host server with 2 ppl a lot of rubber banding lag am running personal computer a 8core an java at 12 gb ram . played unleashed with same host server no lag at all any suggestion....

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
You running ATG or Special Mobs? Both of those gave our server some serious rubber band action. Disabled Special Mobs and that seemed to help some. Can't say why, in theory ATG shouldn't be causing that once the world is loaded, but I have heard similar reports. Have another server (same host) that doesnt have it and a similar suite of mods and doesn't happen at all. But then it doesn't have Special Mobs either. Shrug

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
ATG and Mariculture were having some issues, disabling some of the things in mariculture's config seemed to help people, I would hope they are turned off by default in the packs containing both but you could check.

For those with lag issues with ATG, set the following in Mariculture's worldgen.cfg to false: Deep Oceans, Remove Mineshafts in Oceans, Water Filled Ravines in Oceans

atomicgermx69

Jul 29, 2019
no am not running ATG or special mobs but mariculture is active seem boat travel is very bad thx for imput

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
no am not running ATG or special mobs but mariculture is active seem boat travel is very bad thx for imput

Boat travel is bad on any server that is struggling. It is just a side effect. Client and server get desynced on where that boat---and your avatar---are.

I suspect some of the load is from mob pathfinding/AI. Zombies are quite a bit different, in particular, between 1.5x(Unleashed) and 1.6x(Monster).

Reactions: RedBoss

atomicgermx69

Jul 29, 2019
just to update if any have the same issue I was........ I disabled mariculture mod and there is no more lag on server to bad I really wanted the coral reefs and boat travel works fine now :)

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using These JVM arguments from Eyamaz? They made my server/client work considerably faster/better.
I'm currently running on a private server of mine solo however I'm running multiple mystcraft worlds chunkloaded which in the past have crashed my server, now however with the JVM arguments everything is running super fast with as far as I can tell zero lag from the worlds being loaded.
I also have mariculture enabled and do not seem to have an issue.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
You just have a slow PC, I have a fast one and I get 60+ fps.
What is considered fast? Such a broad spectrum cannot be applied to this situation as even the most monstrous consumer grade PC could still have problems with minecraft if java isn't setup properly. Its simply the nature of the beast literally.

FPS is also not a measure of how well minecraft is running. Most PC's can run it 60+ FPS the main thing is how smooth your server is running and also how smooth your client is running which is not tied to FPS. Your FPS may have an effect on the situation but its not a way to judge how your game is running.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
What is considered fast? Such a broad spectrum cannot be applied to this situation as even the most monstrous consumer grade PC could still have problems with minecraft if java isn't setup properly. Its simply the nature of the beast literally.
I have friend who have pretty good pc , but hes dumb and dont know to maintain his pc . His specs are something like intel i5 3.4ghz,8gb 1300/1600mhz ddr3 ,hdd 700gb and gpu some nvidia gtx ... , and he is lagging a lot on moster :p I added some JVM arguments and it worked like charm.

atomicgermx69

Jul 29, 2019
You just have a slow PC, I have a fast one and I get 60+ fps.

really..... I have a 8 core 32gb ram and 4 gb of video ....don't think I have a slow computer comment was not helpful by the way.... any how it seem the server company i have with 10 gb of memory is having cpu issues it spiking all the time .....taking away mariculture help but wasn't the real problem it seems ....

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
really..... I have a 8 core 32gb ram and 4 gb of video ....don't think I have a slow computer comment was not helpful by the way.... any how it seem the server company i have with 10 gb of memory is having cpu issues it spiking all the time .....taking away mariculture help but wasn't the real problem it seems ....
Not helpful?
When people said that to me I got a new one and now I get a massive difference!

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019

Just an FYI, number of cores doesn't mean a heck of a lot with stuff that is mostly single-threaded. Open your process manager for whatever OS you're running minecraft on and check out the load on each core next time you play. You'll probably be upset.

Any RAM over what you've allocated for the jvm isn't doing you any good either, and may actually add a bit of overhead to the OS, so any amount over 8GB is effectively meaningless for a modern OS that is primarily running Minecraft.

Next time you want to say you have a fast computer you should try posting the information that actually matters. What is the clockspeed of your cores? What series is your videocard(again, 4GB of vram isn't a useful performance number in this case)? What is the speed of the drive you have minecraft installed on?

It wouldn't be hard to build an 8-core, 32GB of ram, 4GB of vram system that would run modded minecraft very poorly, particularly if we used the wrong jvm settings. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

atomicgermx69

Jul 29, 2019
thx for the input and for the record I never said I have a fast running computer in any of my post :eek:.....I don't care if you have the fastest computer ever if the server company you are using has its cpu maxing out in the node .......... by the way it seems all the time ....

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
thx for the input and for the record I never said I have a fast running computer in any of my post :eek:.....I don't care if you have the fastest computer ever if the server company you are using has its cpu maxing out in the node .......... by the way it seems all the time ....
I would change server hosts if possible to see if things change. Your problems as far as I can see stem from your server host and nothing else.
BTW any 8 core cpu in today's market is plenty fast enough to run FTB even at stock clocks. Your problems would be a bit different if it was your PC that couldn't keep up.

Tankh

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, rubber banding lag has nothing to do with your local PC. Most definitely something with the server. Is the server log getting a lot of "Can't keep up!" messages?

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
am running recommended vers. of monster on a 6gb host server with 2 ppl a lot of rubber banding lag am running personal computer a 8core an java at 12 gb ram . played unleashed with same host server no lag at all any suggestion....

Doesnt matter if your system is 30 core. MC uses one core. So if your CPU has poor architecture MC is going to run poorly. This will compound every other issue you have with client lag. Rubbrbanding is usually network lag related. Use this tool. [DOUBLEPOST=1391454188][/DOUBLEPOST]

FPS is also not a measure of how well minecraft is running. Most PC's can run it 60+ FPS the main thing is how smooth your server is running and also how smooth your client is running which is not tied to FPS. Your FPS may have an effect on the situation but its not a way to judge how your game is running.

Most PCs do not get 60fps in FTB MC unless they forgot to build a base..[DOUBLEPOST=1391454301][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ask your server admin to install a bukkit plugin called "ClearLagg". It's pretty nice.
Clearlagg is ok but is a very simplified tool. This tool is far far better and should be a part of *any* MC server.

Last edited: