Which takes the game less memory to render?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I usually stick a water source block in the top layer of my quarries, just to deal with lava, unfortunately this leaves me with a huge pile of running water once it's done with. Since I've done dozens of 64x64 patches, it's starting to affect the way the game runs.

So what is lighter on system requirements:
- filling the rest of the top layer with water source blocks to make a very deep lake
- removing the water and leaving the game to render empty space instead
- using a filler each time
- other, please specify :p

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
  1. If all you do is make the top layer source blocks, all the blocks under it will be running water...making your problem worse; not better
  2. This option is actually quite obvious ;)...doesn't take any memory to have empty space...
  3. A filler to fill in the hole I'm guessing? Same effect as #2 after the initial filling is done
  4. Use a quarry+ with a pump+ attached, no more running water issues

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Ender quarry from Extra Utilities is great, just a pain in the ass moving the fence everytime.

Reactions: Staxed

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Or you can use a enderquarry, which instead of leaving a hole, leaves dirt in the place of all the blocks. It completely ignores lava, so no worries on that front.
I just personally wished that it would fill out all the caves holes and water/lava pits and leave nothing but a solid mass. Then I would totally be sold and use it on the overworld to remove everything able to induce fps reductions(caves filled with mobs, running lava/water etc) under/around my base. But since it doesnt it is just much easier using a normal quarry in a separate mystcraft age. Which is probably what I would suggest that anyone do:

Example of a mystcraft mining age:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...urnal-and-guide-collection.42664/#post-583100
Bonus with this mystcraft age is also that there is no water and lava caves. But you still get the occasional sewage and whatnot(added by MFR I think) pits.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
I just personally wished that it would fill out all the caves holes and water/lava pits and leave nothing but a solid mass. Then I would totally be sold and use it on the overworld to remove everything able to induce fps reductions(caves filled with mobs, running lava/water etc) under/around my base. But since it doesnt it is just much easier using a normal quarry in a separate mystcraft age. Which is probably what I would suggest that anyone do:

Example of a mystcraft mining age:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...urnal-and-guide-collection.42664/#post-583100
Bonus with this mystcraft age is also that there is no water and lava caves. But you still get the occasional sewage and whatnot(added by MFR I think) pits.

The ender quarry is the best for server, it simply replaces the block it mines so there is no update to water or lava so there is no running liquid that the server has to render. BC quarries may be a little easier but they are harder on the server. I use extended draw bridges up in the air with angel blocks and it only takes ~2 minutes to set my quarry up from start to finish, this places and removes the fences. This wont make a big hole in the world either so if someone chooses they can still live right where they just quarried and it wont look fugly. Also just FYI just because you use a BC quarry in another age doesnt mean it wont cause you lag. If enough water updates are caused your TPS will be reduced in that age, this will affect the server as whole as it will causes the overall TPS to be reduced if the Server owner doesnt do something about it

Last edited:

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
It always bugs me why people just fill a quarry from the top and cause untold running water blocks, I used to ride down with the quarry and mine the walls and manage the water/lava/MFR pools as it went. You are all just plain lazy :p

Reactions: AlanEsh and rhn

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
It always bugs me why people just fill a quarry from the top and cause untold running water blocks, I used to ride down with the quarry and mine the walls and manage the water/lava/MFR pools as it went. You are all just plain lazy :p
Those water blocks once brought my server to its knees when I tried getting rid of them. From that day, nobody on my server has put water in their quarry.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The ender quarry is the best for server, it simply replaces the block it mines so there is no update to water or lava so there is no running liquid that the server has to render. BC quarries may be a little easier but they are harder on the server. I use extended draw bridges up in the air with angel blocks and it only takes ~2 minutes to set my quarry up from start to finish, this places and removes the fences. This wont make a big hole in the world either so if someone chooses they can still live right where they just quarried and it wont look fugly. Also just FYI just because you use a BC quarry in another age doesnt mean it wont cause you lag. If enough water updates are caused your TPS will be reduced in that age, this will affect the server as whole as it will causes the overall TPS to be reduced if the Server owner doesnt do something about it
Yes ofc if we are talking about server load, but no one in the thread is. We were purely debating rendering and FPS...

And if you do quarry in another age, as soon as you move the quarry over it doesn't matter one bit how much water and other crap there is in the old pit. It is no longer loaded(except the brief moment when someone visits to move a quarry).

But yes if I was on a server/hosting a server I would probably enforce using the enderquarry instead, but mostly for its chunkloading efficiency. It only loads 2 chunks at the time: The one the quarry is in and the one it is mining in atm. A normal quarry or quarry+ will actually keep the entire area +1 chunkloaded ALL the time.[DOUBLEPOST=1396544141][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah I actually do the same with the MFR pools. Check in with the quarry from time to time and block off the pits before they get too big.

But yeah if water is already there and filled out an entire quarry pit AND it is in a separate age/far away from anyone, then it might actually just be better to leave it in. I don't think the server do any serious calculations on the water once it is actually settled. But if you try to remove it.. TONS of calculations are needed.

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft does some optimizations based on 16x16x16 chunk sections. If nothing is rendered, it skips trying to draw anything, so a completely full 16³ cube that is also entirely surrounded by solid blocks has the same rendering impact as a completely empty cube. Additionally, it will only process random ticks if at least one block needs it.

As a result, the most performance-optimal solution is probably to remove everything above y-14 (only the bottom 16³ renders) (filling everything causes both the bottom and top sections, so removing it all halves the already minimal rendering performance effect), and then make sure that the surface is not grass (as grass requires random ticks, even when not doing anything. Slightly better server performance as a result).

However, clearing everything that has the downside that adjacent full cubes are guaranteed to have to render at least one side. In a world without caves (or an area without many caves nearby), completely filling the quarried areas might be better overall for rendering performance.

As a side effect, a sufficiently large (well beyond view radius) area, quarried down to a thin plane of stone above bedrock would make a great place to build stuff, with superflat framerates.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Rendering , FPS, and TPS all go hand in hand though. If the game is rendering something, such as a lot of flowing water this can cause both FPS and TPS to go down this is why i mentioned it. I understand where you’re coming from regarding if the pit of water is not loaded it won’t cause strain BUT most people tend to put their quarries right next to each other which would most likely cause a portion of that pit to be rendered. In the end everyone can run their game as they please but if something can make their game run better which in turn would improve the experience why not use it J

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Rendering , FPS, and TPS all go hand in hand though. If the game is rendering something, such as a lot of flowing water this can cause both FPS and TPS to go down this is why i mentioned it. I understand where you’re coming from regarding if the pit of water is not loaded it won’t cause strain BUT most people tend to put their quarries right next to each other which would most likely cause a portion of that pit to be rendered. In the end everyone can run their game as they please but if something can make their game run better which in turn would improve the experience why not use it J
Ehm no FPS and TPS have no effect on each other unless you are playing singleplayer and your system is critically loaded(near max CPU/RAM usage). But if you are on a server there is no real connection as it is two separate systems that handles it. The server can have awful TPS but you can still have excellent FPS. Opposite your PC struggling with rendering something is not going to impact the servers performance.

But it is true that there are certain things in game that can effect both FPS and TPS. With water the server will work hard processing how the water spreads, but when the water is done spreading there will no longer be much to process. Your client will however constantly be spending resources on rendering the flowing water(be it spreading to new places or not).

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Ehm no FPS and TPS have no effect on each other unless you are playing singleplayer and your system is critically loaded(near max CPU/RAM usage). But if you are on a server there is no real connection as it is two separate systems that handles it. The server can have awful TPS but you can still have excellent FPS. Opposite your PC struggling with rendering something is not going to impact the servers performance.

But it is true that there are certain things in game that can effect both FPS and TPS. With water the server will work hard processing how the water spreads, but when the water is done spreading there will no longer be much to process. Your client will however constantly be spending resources on rendering the flowing water(be it spreading to new places or not).

I never said they affected each other I said they go hand in hand. If something is causing a lot of rendering, such as a lot of flowing water this can possibly cause your computer to struggle and it can possibly cause the server to struggle since its having handle the load from all the water. I don’t know the exact background computing going on with servers but I’ve been on servers ( before ender quarry and ender pumps) that had tons of lava pumped out and a lot of quarries that had a lot of water flowing and looking at the TPS for the server before and after resetting those areas and it was a huge improvement. If one age or dimension is not running at 20TPS this will affect other dimensions. Either way like I said everyone can chose the way they want to play, I chose to make my play style less stressful on a server as possible to better my experience.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
A normal quarry or quarry+ will actually keep the entire area +1 chunkloaded ALL the time.

Are you sure about the QuarryPlus? Because it doesn't show the actual quarry chunks as force loaded when looking with Opis. Only the chunk where the quarry block is placed.

I first thought there was a bug and placed my own chunk loader to cover the entire area, but later noticed that it could be removed. Also (in Monster 1.0.9 at least) the QuarryPlus produces quite a bit of XP spheres from the mining that you can collect. These should despawn if the whole area was chunk loaded (there are LOTS when the quarry has been running for a long time).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Are you sure about the QuarryPlus? Because it doesn't show the actual quarry chunks as force loaded when looking with Opis. Only the chunk where the quarry block is placed.

I first thought there was a bug and placed my own chunk loader to cover the entire area, but later noticed that it could be removed. Also (in Monster 1.0.9 at least) the QuarryPlus produces quite a bit of XP spheres from the mining that you can collect. These should despawn if the whole area was chunk loaded (there are LOTS when the quarry has been running for a long time).
Hmm nah not sure about the quarry+ tbh. But assumed it was just a normal quarry with larger boundaries allowed. But that is great if that is true.

And the xp spheres also happens with normal quarries. Think it is some type of ore that have had its xp drop programmed on in an unusual way that is different than normal.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
This is exactly what I still do. An open quarry and my fortune pick net me so many more resources than an ender quarry, it's reeeeeeediculous.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
This is exactly what I still do. An open quarry and my fortune pick net me so many more resources than an ender quarry, it's reeeeeeediculous.
Hehe yeah even though the quarry probably nets plenty resources, I still find the occasional amusement in seeing 24+ Lapis lazuli pop out of a single block when hit with a fortune 3 tool :p

Reactions: AlanEsh