Which Modpack should I play

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
So I want to start a survival single player world in either the Mindcrack or Direwolf20 modpack. I can't make up my mind on which one I would enjoy more. I was wondering which one people who have played both prefer. I've been playing the direwolf20 pack with some friends and have been really enjoying EE3 and mystcraft, but I definitely would like to try out some of the mods from mindcrack like gregtech, (with the stupid storage block nerf turned off) advanced machines, and advanced solars. I don't really care either way about traincraft and petrogen. I know I could just add in the mods myself but I like to stick to the "vanilla" modpack. Of course this is most likely temporary as I plan on switching to the ultimate pack if and when that is ever released.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you want to go with ultimate later and keep your world, you are better off with mindcrack, as gregtech has worldgen.

Graeme97

Jul 29, 2019
I (Personally) Like Gregtech, so I use the Mindcrack Pack, and add EE3 in. I think Mystcraft is overpowered, so ya... I like the Mindcrack Pack.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
If you look at the news post made the other day, it basically recommends using Mindcrack if you want Gregtech and DW20 if you don't, assuming you are transferring to Ultimate. Keep in mind that EE3 is still under development and does not have many features, and Mystcraft is undergoing some heavy changes right now. Of course, it's your choice, but I think the decision really boils down to Gregtech.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I may or may not use Gregtech, I will only use it if every single recipe that it changes (including forestry bronze and scaffold) are changed back to how they were originally, and I'm not spending an hour changing them myself. But either way the worldgen doesn't matter all that much because of mystcraft. A lot of people overlook EE3, sure its not nearly like it was before but its still in my opinion essential. The minium stone is a great pocket crafting table and it can still be used for transmutation. Plus its never to early to start getting minium shards. Mystcraft is overpowered but there is a huge update right around the corner that makes it more difficult. And it is pretty much essential with this many mods. Also there is traincraft which I normally wouldn't mind except there is so much freaking world gen. So I might just go with the direwolf20 pack. Because the ultimate might not be out for months at this rate.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
mindcrack stretches out the game and adds tons more high cost content.

That being said, I've been playing mindcrack for 2 weeks now and have just built my first quarry - in fact, it is 3 quarries running off 36 combustion engines (go big or go home :D )

if you enjoy getting to new techs quickly, go dw20. if you enjoy having to make practical systems with limited resources go for mindcack.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
Yo can add mods to both mod packs ad you can change the configs to your likening, so just randomly pick one and add the mods you like and change the configs if you wish!

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
if you enjoy getting to new techs quickly, go dw20. if you enjoy having to make practical systems with limited resources go for mindcack.

"Quickly" is a relative term. If you have less than 10 hours per week to play, I'd recommend DW20.

Reactions: MagusUnion

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm definitely going with the direwolf20 pack, modular powersuits and xeno's reliquary were just added! I don't think its even possible to say the mindcrack pack is better now

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
I'm definitely going with the direwolf20 pack, modular powersuits and xeno's reliquary were just added! I don't think its even possible to say the mindcrack pack is better now
Both packs are kind of lacking, to be honest. That's why I rolled my own :p

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Both packs are kind of lacking, to be honest. That's why I rolled my own :p

yeah but I think it feels pretty "complete" now. I tried making my own private modpack, it lasted a little while but I got annoyed at having to do everything myself and wanted to just play. I also like being able to "play along" with other youtubers like direwolf20, haatfilms, weallplaycast etc

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019

Oh! MPS was added? That's new!

(I still prefer Mindcrack since it has GregTech. Though I'm running a custom modpack in which Railcraft causes really bad issues in SMP. I'll have to figure out what the problem is.)

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Oh! MPS was added? That's new!

(I still prefer Mindcrack since it has GregTech. Though I'm running a custom modpack in which Railcraft causes really bad issues in SMP. I'll have to figure out what the problem is.)

Yeah you have to a manual update but its there.
Right now the arguments are:

Mindcrack:
Advanced Machines
Advanced Solars
Gregtech
Petrogen
Traincraft(does anybody even use that?)

Direwolf:
Compact Solars
Gravity Gun
Charge Pads
EE3
Mystcraft
Xeno's Reliquary
Thaumic Bees
Modular Powersuits

IMO Direwolf>Mindcrack

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
if one likes gregtech, mindcrack is better. if one does not, direwolf20 is better.

Reactions: Whovian

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Traincraft(does anybody even use that?)

I can personally report that I don't, though I do need to take a look at its steel-making process, people have complained that it's too easy. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! DIAMOND DRILLS BEFORE BLAST FURNACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(To express my surprise at Charge Pads and Compact Solars, :O. Though Xeno's Reliquary seems too ... like another gun mod for me. I know it's awesome, but I don't bother with gun mods other than possibly IC2's Mining Laser and Balkon's Weapon Mod.)

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
No traincraft for me either. I generally remove it since it messes with vanilla rails.

We use mindcrack on the server I play on, mainly because it has gregtech. I know quite a few people complain about it changing recipes, but it really does help to extend the life of a map, and from a server admin perspective, that's a very good thing.